Where do you go to dump the toilet cassette?

UFO

(this was originally posted on the ‘Where do you go to refill drinking water?’ thread but I thought it should have a thread of its own)

We can make our cassette last for six nights, but we want to explore Britain for longer than this. We don't want to come home after six nights.

Our preferred style of travel is to stay for one night and then move on. On very rare occasions we might stay for two nights maximum. We also prefer to leave home when it suits us, which may change depending on the weather, hospital appointments, etc, and then make up our route as we go - we always have plan but this is always subject to variation. This makes it impossible to book campsites in advance and even in normal times some will not accept bookings which are only for one or two nights and at this time most appear to be full.

Camp Sites
The sites run by the two clubs will not offer service only visits - for which I would willingly pay.

Public Service Points
There are no public service points available - for which I would willingly pay, unlike France, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand and other countries.

Bury it
I know some people carry a spade and dig a hole to bury the contents. Not something I have done.

Public Toilets
This leaves public toilets. When I empty the cassette here it is always when no-one is around and I always leave the facility cleaner than when I arrived.

Certified Sites / Locations
On our next trip I am going to phone certified sites / locations to see if they will provide services for a fee.

WC members’ services
An idea that was floated some years ago was WC members offering services where they are able to do this from their home location. But this appears to be administratively difficult.

Thoughts welcome on how fellow Wildcampers manage toilet dumps when their travel plans are not fixed.

(this was originally posted on the ‘Where do you go to refill drinking water?’ thread but I thought it should have a thread of its own)

We can make our cassette last for six nights, but we want to explore Britain for longer than this. We don't want to come home after six nights.

Our preferred style of travel is to stay for one night and then move on. On very rare occasions we might stay for two nights maximum. We also prefer to leave home when it suits us, which may change depending on the weather, hospital appointments, etc, and then make up our route as we go - we always have plan but this is always subject to variation. This makes it impossible to book campsites in advance and even in normal times some will not accept bookings which are only for one or two nights and at this time most appear to be full.

Camp Sites
The sites run by the two clubs will not offer service only visits - for which I would willingly pay.

Public Service Points
There are no public service points available - for which I would willingly pay, unlike France, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand and other countries.

Bury it
I know some people carry a spade and dig a hole to bury the contents. Not something I have done.

Public Toilets
This leaves public toilets. When I empty the cassette here it is always when no-one is around and I always leave the facility cleaner than when I arrived.

Certified Sites / Locations
On our next trip I am going to phone certified sites / locations to see if they will provide services for a fee.

WC members’ services
An idea that was floated some years ago was WC members offering services where they are able to do this from their home location. But this appears to be administratively difficult.

Thoughts welcome on how fellow Wildcampers manage toilet dumps when their travel plans are not fixed.

On your first point you are wrong. The CCC offer a four hour stay for £7.20 at many of their sites.
For that you can refill your water, empty your cassette, and even have a shower.
But due to Covid this has been suspended. Also many private sites offer a service for a price.

Second wrong again there are some publicly available but few and far between.
We go to Arran were two are available.

Sorry but emptying in a public toilet is a non no.
Also you could be emptying chemicals into a toilet connected to a sceptic tank.

Some CLs will allow you to empty your cassette.

You could buy a second cassette if you have somewhere to store it.
Fiamma make a cradle that fits underside onto the chassis.

Or do as Sam and I do wc three nights then a site.

Last edited:
Campsite, always. Or take it home. I change my diet when away which helps slightly as well. No meat or spuds.

We manage about three days before needing to empty. This leaves a ‘safety’ margin of about a fourth day.

In France we tend to use aires for about six or seven nights and then use a campsite for a night to ‘deep’ shower, laundry and allow the navigator access to a pool. We also tend to use sites if visiting towns of the size of Vannes or larger for peace of mind.

At home, N. Ireland, we try to use Aire type provision if possible but they are a bit few and far between, so have to use sites a bit more frequently. They tend to be quite expensive for what they offer and also restrictive in Arrival and departure times which makes exploring the area more problematic.

I occasionally use a public toilet using discretion and air freshener, although I try to avoid this method. As I stated in my post on the other thread, we do not use chemicals and are simply putting three days effluent into the system. The smell is no worse than a campsite toilet block after breakfast.

Never resorted to burying. We do not have a cl/cs network of any size and none in the Republic of Ireland.

As an aside, household refuge in ROI is privatised and paid for by each house, the upshot is that there are very few litter bins, you can pay as you go at compactors in some garages, but knowing their locations is problematic. We tend to bag ours as we go along and I keep a large dry bag (a roll top sealable waterproof bag of about 50 litre capacity ) to store refuge until we get a disposal point, which is usually a campsite after a few days. This ties in with toilet requirements.

Davy

You can leave packaging in the bins at supermarkets.
Even in The Republic .
Never had anyone chase after us, shouting,. " OI !! That's not our packaging.."
There must be a million cassette emptying threads available, if you use the search function, on here.
Settle down for a long, comfy sit, while you leaf through them.

All pub toilets in N Ireland are mains so take it in a shopping cart and dump down big white telephone,oras i do take home as we have 3 man holes in garden though i dump down workshop bog,never use toilet chems,only bio wash powder.

If you leave it cleaner than you find it come and dump it at mine any time, there's a choice of 4 pans, 2 up, 2 down, in fact pop some down each one please....!

Are they that bad i would i have to use my Bio Suit to empty my cassette in one of your bogs ?

Bio Suit.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back