Wells on Sea...no go area!

REC

Parked up near Blakeney in Norfolk and thought we would go to Wells for the day, have lunch and a bit of shopping. All car parks now have 2.2 m height barrier even the, manned, coach park! Spoke to chap on duty, thinking he would raise the bar as he was sitting there and a coach already parked. The answer was "no, we are onhigh alert for travellers"! I pointed out that this means Wells don't want any motorhomers spending their money there, he agreed and helped us tiurn round and leave! Absolutely fuming as this is just so short sighted. We have visited often up till now...why not have barriers and pay to leave parking? Will be writing to the council to express our disgust:cry:

Unless things have changed you can often park near the Coop on Polka Road. Unfortunately the height barriers went up on the recently-constructed carpark, the quay banned campervans a few years ago and parking used to be available by the sailing club but it has all disappeared. On-street parking is now the only option and the Buttlands is OK for cars but nothing much bigger. I heard that even the Beach carpark is refusing motorhomes.

Gordon

I have emailed the north Norfolk council and copied the Wells next Sea council:

Unable to park our motorhome in Wells next Sea due to height barriers, even on the coach carpark. The attendant there informed us they were on "high alert for travellers" and just suggested we drive further to Holkham as Wells does not want us to visit. A very short sighted, lazy and unfair attitude to a large group of people who frequently spend a lot of money in the towns they visit. Why not have an area where the barrier lifts for entry and one pays to get out as in many many towns in Europe. Follow the example of Canterbury in Kent who have a designated area, two nights maximum, pay to enter and is always occupied, keeping the car park secure overnight when normally empty? Or just allow us to park in the coach area? I met several other owners on the site where we are staying and some were already aware of the attitude from Wells so avoided it and a couple of others who said they won't try. The revenue lost to the retailers in the area will continue over winter and at times when the parking may be open in future. We won't risk going and spoiling our planned day out on any other occasions, we will go somewhere that welcomes this fairly large, affluent section of the community.

the answer was "no, we are on high alert for travellers"

!It would be nice to have that official and in writing from the council. I'd like to see their response when you get one.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/74/enacted

They become guilty of racial discrimination, even if they include us, as soon as they admit their target is the Traveller. We are simply collateral damage in their Final Solution to the Traveller Problem.

Surely travellers are not a 'race', it is just their chosen way of life?
Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are legally recognised as ethnic groups, and protected from discrimination by the Race Relations Act (1976, amended 2000) and the Human Rights Act (1998).23 Oct 2017

Yes. A good point. Sometime raised about Muslims and also Jews.

This provides a good guide in plain English.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/l...s/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

2021-07-15_182020.jpg

2021-07-15_182037.jpg

Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are legally recognised as ethnic groups, and protected from discrimination by the Race Relations Act (1976, amended 2000) and the Human Rights Act (1998).23 Oct 2017

If those groups are protected, but we are not, surely that is discrimination in itself towards us....

It is a shame but I do get why, a few years ago there was a bunch of travellers (most likely comes under a different name) stopped in Skegness, they left the place in an absolute state. So frustrating because it tars everyone with that same brush, hopefully oneday it'll change but I can't see it.

If those groups are protected, but we are not, surely that is discrimination in itself towards us....

When you read a sign saying no motorhomes you are being treated differently from other road users. Is it discrimination, well possibly not, but we are being treated differently from folk who behave terribly, dog walkers who don’t pick up their mess, and those amongst others who vandalise the facilities. They are all allowed to park where we are not.

When you read a sign saying no motorhomes you are being treated differently from other road users. Is it discrimination, well possibly not, but we are being treated differently from folk who behave terribly, dog walkers who don’t pick up their mess, and those amongst others who vandalise the facilities. They are all allowed to park where we are not.
Don't see how it can be anything else but discrimination,😕

Don't see how it can be anything else but discrimination,😕
The problem is to be discrimination, it has to be unjust, or prejudicial.
Thats why I stated different.
You would have to prove an injustice has taken place, and therein lies the problem.
We are being treated differently, but is this unjust, or prejudicial.

Heres a strict definition.

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability.

Would it do any good to start one of these petitions to the government asking for us to be treated the same as other road users who have parking supplied for them
I don’t reckon it would. But I would gladly sign it.
Every time I see a sign saying no motorhomes, or barriers erected I feel angry.
Why are we being treated like this. We pay our taxes that finance these places that we are banned from. Is it discrimination, I will leave that to lawyers, but I do feel instinctively “discriminated“ against.

the answer was "no, we are on high alert for travellers"

!It would be nice to have that official and in writing from the council. I'd like to see their response when you get one.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/74/enacted

They become guilty of racial discrimination, even if they include us, as soon as they admit their target is the Traveller. We are simply collateral damage in their Final Solution to the Traveller Problem.
Response from council...I also copied Wells next Sea council but had no reply to date

Dear Ruth.

Many thanks for your complaint regarding the above, and your motorhome accessing the car park.

I’m sorry that you were unable to access the car park on that day. We reserve the right to close the height barriers, as we need to protect our communities and businesses.

Many thanks for your suggestions as to how the barriers could be operated in future. I will share this with colleagues.

Best wishes,
Karl

Karl Read
Leisure and Locality Services Manager
+441263 516002

They don't specify from what or who they need protection! Typical response...pretty bland.

Hi
Thanks for your response. Can you advise what or who you have the "right to protect your community and businesses from " since you do not make this clear in your email? It feels very much like blanket discrimination against a section of road users. Motorhomers and taller vehicles such as disability vehicles, should be provided with safe places to park, the same as car users. To exclude them without a proper justification seems harsh and unfair at the very least.
Awaiting your reply with interest

Further reply to above...
Hi Ruth

A joint decision was made by the Police and Council Senior Management to install these barriers following the bad experience we had from travellers in August 2017, when most of the town’s pubs and cafes had to close for fear of safety of their staff and customers. The previous night they have received abuse and harassment, with travellers demanding free drinks, food and also money.

We only have a few car parks with height barriers on, so there are many others in the district that you are still able to use.

Once again, apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Well that explains it all!! :mad: :mad: I have replied and asked specifically where the other car parks are in Wells...but this is obviously one stuck in the mud attitude.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back