Weighbridges

On the continent there are new “minimum payload” rules which are forcing manufacturers and dealers to ensure that there is a minimum amount of payload after the fitting of factory extras. When ordering a new Malibu Van their system no longer allows the customer and dealer to order extras that would leave less than the minimum payload. They also have to do a final weighing at the end of the production process to make sure the minimum is still available.

That sounds sensible as long as it doesnt result in cutting corners in the hab area.

During my extensive and exhausting research on van payloads and layouts I noticed quite recently that some of the new Swift models have decent payloads now on the big vans at least, some I think were over 1000kg. This wasnt always the case. I wanted another Kontiki as they have a shorter overhang and extended Alko chassis which is ideal for a scooter rack but even the 4250kg version from circa 2007 had a pitiful payload. Less than 500kg I think. My Esprit 496 though is 950kg with 700kg free on the back when empty. No idea what changed during that time, maybe less timber in the construction, Don't know.

That is really good Rob especially on a 3500kg van. What van is it and whats your overhang like? I bet you could fit a scooter and rack on that! :cool: There's another £5k I've just spent for you! :D

Is this the formula you used Barry when working out your maximum load?

The rear axle load, caused by a loaded rear bike carrier, can be calculated using the relatively simple formula: R = L x D ÷ W. "R" stands for the rear axle load, "L" for the weight of the transported items/load, "D" for the distance between the carrier and the front axle (in cm) and "W" for the wheelbase of the vehicle (also in cm).

Is this the formula you used Barry when working out your maximum load?

The rear axle load, caused by a loaded rear bike carrier, can be calculated using the relatively simple formula: R = L x D ÷ W. "R" stands for the rear axle load, "L" for the weight of the transported items/load, "D" for the distance between the carrier and the front axle (in cm) and "W" for the wheelbase of the vehicle (also in cm).

I have the spreadsheet to do all the maths from Armitage Trailers Rob. If you PM me your email address ill send it to you.

As an ex HGV 1 driver i weighed my motorhome including axles weights and very often got laughed at when i mentioned this whilst talking to other motorhomers.

Doesn`t need to be before every trip but i did do it a couple of times a year and or when items where added or removed.

It kept me within the law and my licence was clean, this was my way of doing it and it was my money being spent of the tickets.
Wow, really surprised you got laughed at.

With commercial builds, such is the desire to appeal to the general market with add ons, they can give you ridiculously small addon payloads. Like 250/300kg. Stick a few passengers and their luggage/heavy items. Even children and extra tents/food/drinks/bikes. That is soon eaten up

With selfbuild the chance for error is even greater.

I just hope those people don't get weighed.

Depending on jurisdiction it could mean confiscation of the vehicle or emptying stuff out till you pass. You then have to lose the stuff or arrange for collection at your expense. Good way to ruin a holiday.

I`d already done my homework but when buying this motorhome new i enquired about payload and the salesman said .....................................

" it`s fine, there`s loads of room ( huge garage and underbody belly lockers ) so you`ll get everything you need in it (y) "

I said that`s not what i asked but the salesman just repeated what he`d just said, i gave up.

The laughing was generally because other motorhomers though i was being anal and worrying over nothing, " you`re on holiday enjoy it " was their answer.

Having found out that i was a whisker under the MTPLM when i checked the weight at the free dynamic bridge near Stirling i decided to uprate it using SvTech, Leyland which is only 10 minutes from where i live.

I actually had spare weight on the front axle but was bang on the maximum on the rear and only 10kg below the MTPLM, being a low profile it was physically impossible to get any of the load / weight further forward

I booked a slot and took it to them, Steve came out took all the info he needed off it and asked me to take a seat and have a brew in reception whilst he went into his office to sort it out and print a new VIN sticker to go on the vehicle along with a certificate which i needed to send to the DVLA along with my V5C.

I got and extra 250kg which all went on the rear axle which is where i needed it so i came away comfortably legal and happy :cool:

Before we bought our first MH we went and looked at a number of RV's at a place in/near Gloucester. I enquired about the payload figures for each of them and the sales bloke said something about there being plenty and that no one ever bothered about that!

We didn't buy.

There is a Weighbridge in Stromness,Orkney, it was free, unless you wanted a Print Out and then you had to pay.
The coach weighed in at 6100 KG pretty much full of fuel and water

Some information about WIMS in the video linked below. An interesting point made about people bringing Wine back from the continent.

Skip to 7:10

Some information about WIMS in the video linked below. An interesting point made about people bringing Wine back from the continent.

Skip to 7:10

I'm a little sceptical about this Rob. Its been around for donkeys years apparently and a quick google seems to suggest its aimed at commercial traffic, as in big trucks. Given that so many motorhomes clearly travel around overweight I reckon we would have heard by now if someone had been pulled over and weighed and prosecuted as a result of driving over one of these.

I'm a little sceptical about this Rob. Its been around for donkeys years apparently and a quick google seems to suggest its aimed at commercial traffic, as in big trucks. Given that so many motorhomes clearly travel around overweight I reckon we would have heard by now if someone had been pulled over and weighed and prosecuted as a result of driving over one of these.

Yeah I think he said that in the video about commercials only as far as he knew and at the moment.

Thing is though, I'm told that the DVSA have purges on caravans and motorhomes occasionally so how hard would it be to use this system for a purge?

Yeah I think he said that in the video about commercials only as far as he knew and at the moment.

Thing is though, I'm told that the DVSA have purges on caravans and motorhomes occasionally so how hard would it be to use this system for a purge?

I just don't think we are on their radar. I have seen the purges up at Scotch Corner a fair few times but its just commercial stuff they pull in for a check. It maybe does happen to motorhomes but how often do we hear about it? I would imagine a van, caravan or motorhome is more likely to get pulled over if it "looks" overweight and wobbling about a bit but with the lack of actual Police on our roads these days thats unlikely too.

I'm sure there are occasional purges on MH's but in general I'm going with 1 Cup, a MH has to be virtually scraping the ground to be pulled over.
Of course the licence weight limits don't help, but some of the DIY conversions on 3.5 tonne LWB Sprinters and 3.5 tonne Dailys are scary, or any L3 L4 vans really.

When I was working I used to see motorhomes pulled and on the weighbridge at Ainley Top M62 quite regularly. I've not been up there for a long while but I was on Sat and it doesn't look like it's been in use for a long time now.

They used to have purges on the A303 aimed at the holiday traffic. Moved away some years ago so no idea if they still do it. The chances of getting pulled up randomly seem very small. However if you are involved in a serious accident they can be forensic about their investigations.

I'm sure there are occasional purges on MH's but in general I'm going with 1 Cup, a MH has to be virtually scraping the ground to be pulled over.
Of course the licence weight limits don't help, but some of the DIY conversions on 3.5 tonne LWB Sprinters and 3.5 tonne Dailys are scary, or any L3 L4 vans really.
I did weigh my H2L4 up in Scotland once, it was very close to 3.5t I did have the ticket but dunno where it is, bottom of a drawer maybe

Back