Warranty issue

Fisherman

I picked up my new Motorhome June 4 from my supplier catterick caravans.
On arriving home whilst sitting inside I noticed daylight entering at the top of the door.
On further inspection I noticed that the door was miss aligned.
The gap above the hab door was so wide I could push my index finger straight through to the outside.

I travelled down to catterick (round trip 350 miles) only to be informed that the door and door frame had to be replaced under warranty, and the repair would take 2-3 days.

This meant that I had to go back down to catterick from north of Glasgow, leave the mh with them, hire a car for three days, drive back home, then three days later drive back down collect the mh then drive home. The total fuel costs for both the mh and the hired car would be around £200 with an additional cost of £125 for the hired car.

I emailed roller team submitting a claim for my expenses plus inconvenience.
I just got a reply stating that in the terms of the warranty they would not contribute towards my costs.
I have just replied further stating my case, and I am now considering taking legal action against them.

In my honest opinion this is not a normal repair of something unforeseen going wrong, this has been caused by poor workmanship and poor quality control.

I await a reply from them, but if not satisfactory I will consult my lawyer.

Can anyone on here offer any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

It's a common misunderstanding but any liability rests with the supplier not the manufacturer.

Your contract of sale is with Catterick so it is they who are potentially liable for your costs and inconvenience.

I suggest you write to Catterick outlining the costs you are claiming. You need to tell them that they required under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to supply an item of merchantable quality. Clearly the motorhome did not meet this requirement. Give them a fixed time to respond, say seven days.

Did you take some photos to record the problem? If so submit these with your letter.

Send the letter 'Signed for'.

It seems likely that if you pursue this vigorously you will be compensated. Don't give up, and don't spend money on legal advice - just be relentlessly persistent!

Steer clear of Catterick

I picked up my new Motorhome June 4 from my supplier catterick caravans.
On arriving home whilst sitting inside I noticed daylight entering at the top of the door.
On further inspection I noticed that the door was miss aligned.
The gap above the hab door was so wide I could push my index finger straight through to the outside.

I travelled down to catterick (round trip 350 miles) only to be informed that the door and door frame had to be replaced under warranty, and the repair would take 2-3 days.

This meant that I had to go back down to catterick from north of Glasgow, leave the mh with them, hire a car for three days, drive back home, then three days later drive back down collect the mh then drive home. The total fuel costs for both the mh and the hired car would be around £200 with an additional cost of £125 for the hired car.

I emailed roller team submitting a claim for my expenses plus inconvenience.
I just got a reply stating that in the terms of the warranty they would not contribute towards my costs.
I have just replied further stating my case, and I am now considering taking legal action against them.

In my honest opinion this is not a normal repair of something unforeseen going wrong, this has been caused by poor workmanship and poor quality control.

I await a reply from them, but if not satisfactory I will consult my lawyer.

Can anyone on here offer any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Had a hab door problem in 2015 on my new autotrail, Catterick tried 3 separate times to fix the problem, got so peed off with them I decided to drive to Grimsby to see if the factory could do anything, on arrival the autotrail fitter spotted the problem straight away, the door had dropped it was so obvious to a trained eye, he could not believe Catterick had not sorted it , they fixed it in a jiffy, this was not the only problem that Catterick failed to fix there were numerous others, after complaining I was offered a free hab service.
Any problems now and it's off to Grimsby I go, they offer free overnight with hook up in the factory car park and there is a lovely carvery close by.

Had a hab door problem in 2015 on my new autotrail, Catterick tried 3 separate times to fix the problem, got so peed off with them I decided to drive to Grimsby to see if the factory could do anything, on arrival the autotrail fitter spotted the problem straight away, the door had dropped it was so obvious to a trained eye, he could not believe Catterick had not sorted it , they fixed it in a jiffy, this was not the only problem that Catterick failed to fix there were numerous others, after complaining I was offered a free hab service.
Any problems now and it's off to Grimsby I go, they offer free overnight with hook up in the factory car park and there is a lovely carvery close by.

The problem with simply raising the door would be the catch would be out of alignment, as would the transfers which go across the door.
If the catch was moved upwards there would be two screw holes left on the body.
But Cattericks PDA should have highlighted this fault.
They are partially to blame as well.

Bill when you got home and noticed this you should have rejected the vehicle and taken it back and got your cash back.It was not fit for purpose imho.As admin Chris has also explained.Now you wont be happy with this vehicle and will always be on the lookout for problems.So no bs from Catterick tell them to collect the vehicle and you want your full money back.

Last edited:
Bill when you got home and noticed this you should have rejected the vehicle and taken it back and got your cash back.It was not fit for purpose imho.As admin Chris has also explained.Now you wont be happy with this vehicle and will alwaysy be on the lookout for problems.So no bs from Catterick tell them to collect the vehicle and you wnat your full money back.

Actually Micky we both love our new Motorhome, and to be fair apart from this the standard of workmanship from roller team is good. Nothing else is giving us any problems and we love the layout.
I just don’t understand how someone can fit a door like that and then leave it.
And to be fair to catterick legally they may be responsible, but I blame primarily the person(s) who fitted the door. Also I thought that this was a simple repair, I never realised what was involved.

It's a common misunderstanding but any liability rests with the supplier not the manufacturer.

Your contract of sale is with Catterick so it is they who are potentially liable for your costs and inconvenience.

I suggest you write to Catterick outlining the costs you are claiming. You need to tell them that they required under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to supply an item of merchantable quality. Clearly the motorhome did not meet this requirement. Give them a fixed time to respond, say seven days.

Did you take some photos to record the problem? If so submit these with your letter.

It seems likely that if you pursue this vigorously you will be compensated. Don't give up, and don't spend money on legal advice - just be relentlessly persistent!

Many thanks Chris I wish I had posted on here sooner.

So pleased I bought my latest motorhome from a family owned dealership 25 miles from my home and not Catterick caravans who’s customer service is deplorable. Thats speaking from experience dealing with them after buying my first ever motorhome in 2013. Don’t laugh, it was a Swift. It had to many problems to list and Catterick caravans were crap sorting them out. Gave up in the end and cut my losses and got rid of it. Different story with the dealer I recently bought a Pilote from. Nothing is to much trouble for them and they have actually called me up twice in the last month to check everything is fine.

That's a dull one Bill, which will hopefully be resolved amicably!

Eventually looking to downsize with MH and house and have been keeping an eye out at Dicksons of Perth, who are RT dealers. I like the look and spec of what you have and want to have a one to one with marque.

I'm afraid if this is RT quality system (if there is one) at it's best that put out a MH where your finger goes through door gap, I may give this marque a big swerve.

I hope it all works out well for you.

Cheers........

Go and look at one runnach, don’t let this put you off.
Honestly apart from the door issue I am very pleased with it.
They changed the door on my mh, and I think that may have something to do with what happened.

Many thanks Chris I wish I had posted on here sooner.

Well it's not too late to pursue them for compensation. I note your comment about the factory being initially responsible but the supplying dealer should have seen this problem and dealt with it prior to delivery.

The advice always offered is to buy near to where you live to make life easier and cheaper. It's good advice ...

Ok allow me to summarise.

I honestly am pleased with the Pegaso 590, a Motorhome that came in second in the A class section for a class under £80,000. Being beaten into second place by a mh £18000 more expensive at £78,000.
At £60,000 for a well equipped a class it is outstanding value.
I would still recommend this mh to anyone.

My mistake was buying a mh from a. company so far away, but there were reasons for me doing this.
But sadly promises made by a sales person at catterick caravans who has now left the company convinced me that I should do so. I could have bought one from DICKSON’s of Perth about 50 miles away and with hindsight I should have.

I will get this door fixed and I will fight tooth and nail for compensation, but I don’t regret buying the mh, just where I bought it from.

Ok allow me to summarise.

I honestly am pleased with the Pegaso 590, a Motorhome that came in second in the A class section for a class under £80,000. Being beaten into second place by a mh £18000 more expensive at £78,000.
At £60,000 for a well equipped a class it is outstanding value.
I would still recommend this mh to anyone.

My mistake was buying a mh from a. company so far away, but there were reasons for me doing this.
But sadly promises made by a sales person at catterick caravans who has now left the company convinced me that I should do so. I could have bought one from DICKSON’s of Perth about 50 miles away and with hindsight I should have.

I will get this door fixed and I will fight tooth and nail for compensation, but I don’t regret buying the mh, just where I bought it from.

Well I sincerely hope you all the best in claiming compensation Bill,clearly the dealer is at fault and legally needs to put things right OR it seems word will get around and CATTERICK CARAVANS will lose sales

Well I sincerely hope you all the best in claiming compensation Bill,clearly the dealer is at fault and legally needs to put things right OR it seems word will get around and CATTERICK CARAVANS will lose sales

Let’s give them the chance to do so Micky.

It’s a real shame that this issue has detracted from what is an excellent mh.
I had far more serious issues with my last chausson 510, but the dealer was in Livingston only 30 miles away. Unfortunately they do not sell this model, or I would have went back to them.

I was down in Norfolk only last week and several people commented on our Motorhome. One man even deciding to swap his caravan for our Pegaso after we showed him around.

Hopefully I will be reporting favourably on here about catterick caravans, and after a few more months I will do a full review warts and all on this mh.

Bill you could do far worse than follow Poi Admins advice to the letter.

Channa

Bill you could do far worse than follow Poi Admins advice to the letter.

Channa

I intend to Andrew.
I actually have a photo taken by them minutes after it was delivered.
In the photo you can clearly see the fault, so there is no argument as to when this fault occurred.

But it’s not just this issue I have with them.
I was also promised a courtesy car if a repair was required, and they are refusing to honour what was agreed at point of sale. I have email from the salesperson stating this.

I intend to Andrew.
I actually have a photo taken by them minutes after it was delivered.
In the photo you can clearly see the fault, so there is no argument as to when this fault occurred.

But it’s not just this issue I have with them.
I was also promised a courtesy car if a repair was required, and they are refusing to honour what was agreed at point of sale. I have email from the salesperson stating this.

If you have the email it’s a clear cut case, but knowing the dealer you may need to go to court to force them. You would win on the car issue if you have the email, in my experience you may not win on the other costs as consequential loss is normally excluded from a warranty claim.

If you have the email it’s a clear cut case, but knowing the dealer you may need to go to court to force them. You would win on the car issue if you have the email, in my experience you may not win on the other costs as consequential loss is normally excluded from a warranty claim.

I agree with you, but this is not a normal warranty claim.
If for instance the boiler went faulty a week after delivery you would be correct.
But missing a gap above a squinty hab door large enough for daylight to come in, and large enough to put your finger
through is a different matter in my honest opinion.

Have you talked to trading standards to get backup for your claim? You are offering Cattericks the chance to put the damage right and I would do as Phil suggested, but a mention of Trading Standards input ( they give you a reference number also) often adds extra oomph to your claim. There may well have been other complaints about the company. Keep a really concise record of all your contacts with the company as well as all the issues, and try and find the managing directors name to copy all the emails, correspondence to. It definitely worked for us, although we wanted and got, full refund!

Did you pick it up then drive it home before noticing this? If you could put your hand in the gap I am surprised you couldn’t see it at dealers or hear as you went to set off. Would have been better rejecting it on the forecourt

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back