Warranty issue

Did you pick it up then drive it home before noticing this? If you could put your hand in the gap I am surprised you couldn’t see it at dealers or hear as you went to set off. Would have been better rejecting it on the forecourt

With all the excitement off picking up a new toy, an inspection to check all is good is often overlooked I imagine.

I recently bought a motorbike and when I turned up for collection they sat me down to complete the paperwork and make payment. So I immediately said show me around the bike and if all is OK we can go ahead with the payment. I got a very startled response from the salesman, probably the first time he be confronted like this.

Once money has changed hands helpfulness is often not so forthcoming. I always remember I am doing them a favour by buying from them NOT the other way round.:king:

Did you pick it up then drive it home before noticing this? If you could put your hand in the gap I am surprised you couldn’t see it at dealers or hear as you went to set off. Would have been better rejecting it on the forecourt

Sorry what noise, there is no noise.
The gap at the top of the door is about 1/8 inch without daylight you would not see it.
But you can push your finger through the seal to the outside.
I have a photo taken minutes after delivery by the salesman, you can see the fault there.
So there is no argument about how it was delivered.

Also what would happen if I rejected it.
I would have to have driven back to Scotland with no van and came back 2 months later once the parts had been delivered and repairs done.
I have done 1600 miles to date, and we absolutely love our new van, and nothing else appears faulty.
The door will get sorted and hopefully that will be the end of this chapter.

There is much to take in when getting a new van, and I did point out two minor faults which were taken care of.

Last edited:
I've bought many new vehicles over 20 years for my business. I've been in similar situations may be 4 or 5 times.
You will not be entitled to any out of pocket expenses. Citizens Advice are a waste of time. You can threaten to take the dealer to court and see how you get on. May be then you can gauge their reaction to the idea of going to court.
If you do decide to start proceedings you will need to have a report done by an expert witness - the judge will rely on this report to make his decision, after all he's a judge not a motorhome engineer.
Google 'John Dabek forensic engineer' I've used him twice and won on both occasions - budget for about £150 for the report. You will not get his fee back even if you win.
There is a fantastic service called 'Small Claims Assistance' run by Dean Talbot. He will draft court papers for you and offer good clear advice and guidance and hold your hand if you want to go down the small claims route. Again you will not get his fees back even if you win in court. Everbody knows you can file a small claim online but it's still your responsibility to have the paperwork completed properly and evidence disclosed etc.
I used Dean at the beginning of last year for a bespoke vehicle we had built and it wasn't as bespoke as it should have been - with the help of Dean we got things changed to how they should have been without to much trouble.
So that's my experience of these situations. If the dealer was a few miles away from you then the frustration and stress would be knocked down a peg or two I'm guessing. If you can get this fixed for a reasonable amount then may be avoid all of the associated stress and have it fixed at your own expense then you can get on with enjoying the new motorhome and draw a line under the situation.

Totally agree, and it is still so very easy to overlook something
When we purchased one van, I tested everything, BUT, I forgot to take into consideration that after a test run, the owner plugged in hook up, so it was charging while I tested everything
The batteries were no good, however he did pay for two batteries

At least you had a battery! When we collected our tribute, it was on hookup, they handed it all over and failed to notice that there was no leisure battery! Even when I commented it was a big space( we thought it must be under the box!) the engineer did not realise. We found out three hours drive away in the dark when nothing worked! To be fair they agreed to put us up in a hotel that night and , eventually, reimbursed us for a new battery purchased locally. But it was just the beginning.......we were patient for four months at which point we distrusted the van nearly as much as we distrusted the dealer!
Good thing was that we really worked out what we did and didn't want in a van, so by the time we did this one, it's pretty good!

The door and door frame are being replaced by catterick caravans on November 18.

Instead of hiring a car I am staying one night at the catterick premier inn at a cost of £45.

I am waiting for a reply from roller team for costs, auto trail who act on their behalf in the uk have submitted my emails to them, but I don’t hold out much hope.

To be honest I know that technically catterick are who I should take this up with, but I blame entirely roller teams fitter for this situation.

But for all this on the door I have absolutely no regret in buying the Motorhome, my wife and I simply love it. And once the door is sorted hopefully we will have years with no further faults.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it was much appreciated.

I would like to thank Chris at admin who has been very helpful.

Last edited:
With all the excitement off picking up a new toy, an inspection to check all is good is often overlooked I imagine. I recently bought a motorbike and when I turned up for collection they sat me down to complete the paperwork and make payment. So I immediately said show me around the bike and if all is OK we can go ahead with the payment. I got a very startled response from the salesman, probably the first time he be confronted like this.

Exactly what I did when buying our Van and had everything demonstrated as working

The door and door frame are being replaced by catterick caravans on November 18.

Instead of hiring a car I am staying one night at the catterick premier inn at a cost of £45.

I am waiting for a reply from roller team for costs, auto sleeper who act on their behalf in the uk have submitted my emails to them, but I don’t hold out much hope.

To be honest I know that technically catterick are who I should take this up with, but I blame entirely roller teams fitter for this situation.

But for all this on the door I have absolutely no regret in buying the Motorhome, my wife and I simply love it. And once the door is sorted hopefully we will have years with no further faults.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it was much appreciated.

I would like to thank Chris at admin who has been very helpful.

Good to see there is now light at the end of the tunnel hopefully no more problems after this

Atb Michael

First of all many thanks for all of the help I received on here, and I said that I would report back when this dispute was settled, well I can tell you that after several weeks of emailing auto trail who market roller team in the uk, I have now settled with them.
I was correctly told on here that technically my dispute was with the dealer, but I felt that this was in the circumstances unfair so I continued to pursue auto trail.
I was offered two free habitation services normally costing £240 each. I felt that was not sufficient and refused to accept this. After another month they upped it to three which I accepted.
Thanks again for all the help I received on here

We had a similar experience ,in 2006 , with Campbell's at Preston.
So many problems, such poor service, that we parked the van, early doors,across the main entrance with a notice inside the windscreen, relating our problems and lack of service.
On the bottom we told them that we were proposing to book into a hotel in Blackpool until we were satisfied., left our phone number, but no keys. . We were still hiding in the van, when they opened up.
It worked a treat... Eventually.
Your contact is with the vendor.
We always pay the deposit by credit card , nowadays .
It gives you more options if the fit hits the shan.

Well thats the door fixed, and the problem was actually a poorly installed frame and not the door.
I am full of praise for Catterick Caravans they did a great job, and they were very helpful with everything.
I am just glad we have a properly installed habitation door now.:)

I am full of praise for Catterick Caravans they did a great job, and they were very helpful with everything.

I am absolutely amazed at your comment. It has taken them from June 4 until November 18th some five and a half months to put it right and you are singing their praises. Amazing.

Last edited:
I am absolutely amazed at your comment. It has taken them from June 4 until November 18th some five and a half months to put it right and you are singing their praises. Amazing.

Really, well without knowing the full facts you are entitled to draw that conclusion
We reported the fault to catterick caravans July 7. They looked at the van July 20 when we popped in en route to Norfolk where they decided that they could not repair the van without parts from roller team. I decided to have the work carried out yesterday not catterick caravans. To suggest that they took from 4 June to 19 September to complete the works is a complete misrepresentation of what actually happened. The work they did was done to a very high standard, and they kept me up to speed throughout the process. They also transported me to my hotel and came back for me next day when the work was completed. The staff where all very pleasant and helpful. If singing their praises upsets you, then so be it.

Last edited:
Not on your Nelly! But perhaps you don’t live near Glossop.

Barge, speaking as someone who has just made a 350 mile return journey involving an overnight stay in a hotel to get a repair done, that is excellent advice.
Obviously that should not be your only concern, and if you don't like your local supplier go elsewhere.
But try to keep your travel distance to a minimum.
Apart from the distance, I have been pleased with Catterick Caravans to date.
They did some work for me prior to delivery, which I was pleased with, and they genuinely seem to want to keep me happy, if they can.

Barge, speaking as someone who has just made a 350 mile return journey involving an overnight stay in a hotel to get a repair done, that is excellent advice.
Obviously that should not be your only concern, and if you don't like your local supplier go elsewhere.
But try to keep your travel distance to a minimum.
Apart from the distance, I have been pleased with Catterick Caravans to date.
They did some work for me prior to delivery, which I was pleased with, and they genuinely seem to want to keep me happy, if they can.
If my previous supplier had sold Roller Team, I would have returned to them, but unfortunately they did not.

Bill a good deal is a state of mind between you and you supplier you found an acceptable remedy that is all that matters. You are happy that's all that counts ...initial glitches over I wish you many happy miles in your van .

As someone that spent 23 years working for franchised dealers bread and butter marquee to prestige it is always a case of doing what works for the customer ...often people have expectations that aren't realistic managing those expectations winning hearts and minds is what matters

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back