Warm Vans

• Thread starter Deleted member 25439
  • Start date
Just another question on this...i have an esparcher and we run it for an hour or two but switch it off all the time because we are worried about how much fuel it takes and im sure it runs off the van battery not the leisure on. Can anybody tell how much diesal an hour it uses turned up full and what sort of drain on the battery does it have and lastly is it safe to have it running when asleep? Many thanks

We had an Erby in out last van and there was no danger of using all the fuel in the tank because the heating would stop working if there was less than a quarter of a fuel tank left. Our Erby was noisy, I prefer our current system of two gas heaters, one in the front of the cab and one in the rear.

During last years bitter cold winter i slept in a 2 season sleeping bag with 2 duvets on top. this kept me very warm at night, too warm sometimes and you can get cheap sleeping bags and duvets in lots of places. Keeping warm out of bed is a different problem

last van had a woodburner,keep kindling handy and fire it up in the morning, 0ne metre jet of flame out the flue,lovely to watch the flames through the glass while the kettle sings on the top. can't get that with a diesel or gas heater !

If you do you have serious problems and heating the van will be the last thing to worry about

We don't like to breath warm air so no heating at night even in -15c but use two duvets, if it isn't too cold we sleep on one and use the other on top but occasionally use two on top, as far as the vans grading is concerned there are people who camp in tents in the Winter so don't let that stop you enjoying yourself

i tend to agree ,night time is a case of nice high tog duvet ,and if it gets realy cold a couple of sleeping bags ,as i said earlier our bedford compass drifter was 30ish year old and we dident find it cold at all one of our winters was 2008 and it was a cold one ,we were stuck at the side of the canal at rodley leeds for over a week with 2 foot of snow on top of the van .luckily there was a boat yard within easy walking distance for water and gas

We use a 10.5 tog duvet on top of a normal quilted mattress cover (not memory foam) & a fitted sheet. We are as warm as toast at night, we have a couple of microfleece blankets in reserve, but haven't used them.

We also have an Eberspacher but, (in a small van) have to turn it off after half an hour as it gets too hot, even on low setting. I couldn't have the damn thing on at night, we'd suffocate!.

Also have to have rooflights & high level windows slightly open for ventilation otherwise we'd wake up in morning with bunged up heads.

I have a gas blower system, that I use if needed when wilding. However as I am fulltiming, I prefer to use electric hookup on campsites through the winter. Helps with my budget as well, as I use oil filled electric heater, electric kettle, and induction hob. So no worries about running out of fuel and not having enough in my budget to replenish. I also have external silver screen in place. So I am as cosy as being in a cosy place.:)

In our first van we just had a simple gas fire, and it was brill, lovely and warm and toasty all the time, no blown air to worry about power consumption etc.
The van conversion we have now, we have a Webasto, and to be honest it's not a patch on our old gas fire, i'd have a simple gas fire anytime. To compensate for this, we carry a small portable gas heater that works off a 6kg gas bottle, that combined with the Webasto is more than enough to keep us warm all year round.!

jt

In our first van we just had a simple gas fire, and it was brill, lovely and warm and toasty all the time, no blown air to worry about power consumption etc.
The van conversion we have now, we have a Webasto, and to be honest it's not a patch on our old gas fire, i'd have a simple gas fire anytime. To compensate for this, we carry a small portable gas heater that works off a 6kg gas bottle, that combined with the Webasto is more than enough to keep us warm all year round.!

jt

Do be careful with that, if for any reason it isn't burning right you risk dying from CO poisoning & in any case, naked gas flames produce a lot of moisture & condensation, you really must have good ventilation and never leave it on while asleep

Thermals in bed.

Arctic explorers strip down to their thermals to get in their sleeping bags at night - ask Prince Harry.

condensation

On the subject of condensation on the van windows,we invested in a Karcher window demister, rechargable job that sucks the moisture up.brilliant.

Must have a big budget to stay on campsites through the winter!

We use sites most of the time but only CS / CL sites,the one we are currently using is costing us £49 per week with 10 amp hookup, if you don't want the hookup then its only £35, plus there's a bar and café virtually on site. much better for us than roughing it in layby's and industrial estates.

Must have a big budget to stay on campsites through the winter!

As a member of C&CC, and with age concession I can do 7 nights for less than £70 and as "Fulltimer" says on some of the CS sites a bit less. Add up your mortgage/rent,council tax,water rates, electric and or gas bills and I bet its costing you a lot more!:D

We use sites most of the time but only CS / CL sites,the one we are currently using is costing us £49 per week with 10 amp hookup, if you don't want the hookup then its only £35, plus there's a bar and café virtually on site. much better for us than roughing it in layby's and industrial estates.

Mark......Keep it quiet M8!!! :)

have just bought a gas bottle modified log burner , only thing is the chimney and bits and bobs cost a fortune, anybody know a good blacksmith who could make up one to suit, anywhere , willing to travel ,,John

Who on earth would want to stay in laybys or industrial estates? I also steer well clear of urban car parks.

I would and do stay in layby's and ind estates....i stay wherever i think is safe. I actually do wild camp. Maybe out of 300 nights in the last year only 2 have been spent on any site

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back