Warm Vans

• Thread starter Deleted member 25439
  • Start date
Few vans ago I fitted an additional exhaust silencer to our eberspacher it runs a lot quieter I have moved it on to our new van as we have changed them, most converters do not follow the eberspacher fitting instructions re the length of exhaust pipe etc this is why most are noisy

Is it because of the comforting roar that sends you to sleep? Or the ticking of the pump that reminds you of Christmas Panto & the crocodile in Peter Pan? Or the hot diesel fumes you disseminate to keep other campers well away from you? :dance:

Only teasing, but Ebersplutters do not always have the best reputation with their owners.

Memory Foam mattress is really warm and better than most original mattress. Ours is complete foam with no springs and was easy to cut to size with a electric carving knife for anyone wanting a shaped mattress

still don't know what type of 'van it is,,,Frances has posted and never waited for any replies,,,

still don't know what type of 'van it is,,,Frances has posted and never waited for any replies,,,

It doesn't matter, not everyone can spend a lot of time on here. there's lots of good info for everyone & the OP will return & see it in due course.

last van had a woodburner,keep kindling handy and fire it up in the morning, 0ne metre jet of flame out the flue,lovely to watch the flames through the glass while the kettle sings on the top. can't get that with a diesel or gas heater !

Memory Foam mattress is really warm and better than most original mattress. Ours is complete foam with no springs and was easy to cut to size with a electric carving knife for anyone wanting a shaped mattress
You say shaped I hope that doesn't mean someone has to be in bed as the shape whilst your in action with a carving knife lol

We always fill a large flask with boiling water last thing at night so we can have a large mug of steaming hot coffee first thing in the morning. No need to fuss around waiting for the kettle to boil in the morning and warms us up a treat.

Cover metal surfaces such as on doors helps stop drafts.

External screens if somewhere secure are much better than internal ones.

Richard

last van had a woodburner,keep kindling handy and fire it up in the morning, 0ne metre jet of flame out the flue,lovely to watch the flames through the glass while the kettle sings on the top. can't get that with a diesel or gas heater !
Thought of going down that route but as I don't smoke and hate the smell of it decided against it a friend of mine had one and the whole of his van was thick with soot dust maybe he had just installed it wrong but put me off that idea

when we lived in our van that's one thing we did .we had a memory foam mattress on our bed in the house ,so i cut it to size for the van it was great .only thing was i was very disapointed with the mattress when i took the cover off to cut it . it cost us an arm and a leg by the way when we originally purchased it, top of the range from tempur but there was only about 4inch of memory foam the rest was just common or garden foam ,basically a memory foam topper like you can buy for a few quid in many shops on a normal foam mattress bit of a rip off in my opinion.

We have found that a good sleeping bag topped with the a duvet keeps you warm in bed, if you don't mind a cold nose you can leave the heating off at night, just lighting it about half an hour before you get up. Also you will find the kettle making the cup of tea will warm the van any way.

That's what we do Linda

Except when we are on EHU we leave the elec heater on low all night.

No heating in my van and I'm spending more time in it than at home because I can't afford to heat the house and it's warmer in the van than the house. As Kimbo says, you do acclimatize and I wear wool clothes, have wool blankets and am never cold in bed. Also wearing a hat in bed makes a big difference.

The long evenings can be hard but I try to keep busy and active, walk the dogs, eat later about 8pm so that warms up the van and then washing up etc occupies me for another hour or so.

A few candles in hanging lanterns helps and when really cold I light the gas cooker for an hour or so, boiling water for a big flask at the same time.

Double lined curtains, draught excluder, an old blanket on the floor, bio ethanol heater, woolly jumpers, thermal undies, 2 dogs (which apparently generate half a kw of heat each) to snuggle up with, candles, and a pan of milk on the stove for a hot chocolate all make a difference. Plus hot water bottles, hot rocks and extra insulation stuffed in every crack too.

In the morning I run the engine for 15 mins to warm up and get rid of condensation. I find the damp harder to cope with than the cold especially after several days of rain.

If moving on I try to wait until it's dark so that occupies me in the dark hours and means that the van is warm on arrival and battening down the hatches means keeping the heat in for as long as possible.

And best of all, park up somewhere isolated and light a campfire which keeps you busy and warm.

Try living at home without heating for a week and then the van will feel warm in comparison!

And eat lots of pasta, nuts and Christmas cake for extra calories.

I didn't expect so many replies so quickly. I've been doing housework most of the morning and came back on to see if I'd got any good tips. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know when we brave the cold weather this year. Last year we came back up from southern Spain in March and it was freezing so we dined out just to sit in front of warm pub fires. Remembering how cold it was then is whats holding us back from using the van at the moment.

when we lived in our van we found that lighting/electric was more of a problem than keeping warm .mind you what i would give for the van back living free and easy ,i hate bricks and mortar ,but at this moment i have other priorities

Just another question on this...i have an esparcher and we run it for an hour or two but switch it off all the time because we are worried about how much fuel it takes and im sure it runs off the van battery not the leisure on. Can anybody tell how much diesal an hour it uses turned up full and what sort of drain on the battery does it have and lastly is it safe to have it running when asleep? Many thanks

Fuel Consumption (±10%) U.S. Litre/hr U.S. Litre/hr Gal/hr Gal/hr
Boost 0.07 0.28 Boost 0.13 0.51 High 0.06 0.23 High 0.10 0.38 Medium 0.04 0.14 Medium 0.07 0.25 Low 0.03 0.10 Low 0.03 0.13
the first figures are for the D2 2nd figures D4

Last edited:
Eberspacher Manual

Tezza go download this. http://www.eberspacher.com/download...rs_pdf_ebuk/hg_252069050000_tech_EN_12737.pdf

Just another question on this...i have an esparcher and we run it for an hour or two but switch it off all the time because we are worried about how much fuel it takes and im sure it runs off the van battery not the leisure on. Can anybody tell how much diesal an hour it uses turned up full and what sort of drain on the battery does it have and lastly is it safe to have it running when asleep? Many thanks

Tezza I think most of the info you require is in Alf1's link, but just so you know the heaters use most electrical current when starting up and shutting down (when the glow pin is in use ) and very little inbetween, with these heaters you will find they are far more efficient if you set them to temperature and let them run, as once they reach temperature the heater will eventually slow right down and run in the low mode, this takes very little fuel or power, and yes they are perfectly safe to use whilst sleeping as they are totally room sealed.

Tezza I think most of the info you require is in Alf1's link, but just so you know the heaters use most electrical current when starting up and shutting down (when the glow pin is in use ) and very little inbetween, with these heaters you will find they are far more efficient if you set them to temperature and let them run, as once they reach temperature the heater will eventually slow right down and run in the low mode, this takes very little fuel or power, and yes they are perfectly safe to use whilst sleeping as they are totally room sealed.

thanks for that yes i went to alfs link and it seems they use about a quarter of a litre an hour. but thanks for tip of setting to temp...i usually have it on full blast lol...then after about 45 mins it sort of goes down to just a tick over but still a little hot air coming out.

I have lived full time in my RV for four years
Last winter in the uk -12 C. I would not wildcamping in these temperatures EHU is needed
That said. Not cold at all
Lots of clothes on. Two pair socks winter warmers the works

This year now.
Lovely and warm in Spain. 19C today.
Back to Uk in April :dance:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back