Warm Vans

• Thread starter Deleted member 25439
  • Start date

Deleted member 25439

I'm a little reluctant to use the van at the moment. Mainly because of long dark nights and wondering if we'll be warm enough. I didn't realise when we bought the van that they are graded for warmth. The one we have is class 2 and class 3 would have been warmer.

What tips and tricks do you use to keep the van warm in really cold weather while wild-camping (i.e. no electric hook-up).?

Run the heating of course, and a hot water bottle in the bed snug as a bug,you can run the heating safely throughout the night too.

we had a 30 year old bedford lived 2 winters in it and was nice and warm .we used the gas fire that was in the van ,no blown air and was as snug as a bug in a rug .vans are meant to be used all year round in my oppinion and as such i think you will find yours nice and warm

We have found that a good sleeping bag topped with the a duvet keeps you warm in bed, if you don't mind a cold nose you can leave the heating off at night, just lighting it about half an hour before you get up. Also you will find the kettle making the cup of tea will warm the van any way.

just get a warmer sleeping bag or snuggle up closer to someone and a decent onsie hot water bottle

After a while in the cold your body will adjust, it helps been hormonal mind, them hot flushes are great on a cold night lol, a feather duvet helps, a friend of mine heats stones on his gas ring and they keep the van warm all night, well so he says lol

Van Type

It would be helpfull to state what make and type of van you have others with the same or similar model would be more likely to reply

Alf

I'm a little reluctant to use the van at the moment. Mainly because of long dark nights and wondering if we'll be warm enough. I didn't realise when we bought the van that they are graded for warmth. The one we have is class 2 and class 3 would have been warmer.

What tips and tricks do you use to keep the van warm in really cold weather while wild-camping (i.e. no electric hook-up).?

Vigorous Sex helps ......................... just make sure the vans in gear with the handbrake on .............................. LOL

Oh don't forget the silver screens on the windows they make so much difference to keep cold out and warmth in but put them only on the inside as to allow quick getaway

A quality mattress topper and two quilts, depending on what type of heating you have - leave it on low and crank it up full 10 minutes before getting out of bed.

..... I have a normal body thermostat but Doris has the most random one ever - hot cold hot cold hot cold - covers on covers off covers on covers off. It's either freezing or boiling hot nothing in between - I am thinking of having her thermostat removed :)

So it all depends on your body thermostat ......

Vigorous Sex helps ......................... just make sure the vans in gear with the handbrake on .............................. LOL

So good news your memory is not going just yet!

Oh don't forget the silver screens on the windows they make so much difference to keep cold out and warmth in but put them only on the inside as to allow quick getaway

I don't know if its just us but we have internal silver screens but still sometimes get loads of condensation so we could not have a quick get-away if we tried because we would have to remove the silver screens then tackle the condensation with a cloth or two. Then off we go 15 minutes later.

I don't know if its just us but we have internal silver screens but still sometimes get loads of condensation so we could not have a quick get-away if we tried because we would have to remove the silver screens then tackle the condensation with a cloth or two. Then off we go 15 minutes later.

condensation is often made worse by an open flame form of heating like heating with the gas cooker catalyc heater ect

I haven't needed the heating on at night this year yet, but then we've only had a handful of frosts.

You'll be surprised at how warm you stay - give it a go and see how you get on. You can always put the heater on if you get chilly, but you may surprise yourself. :)

External screens are much better as they stop condensation, but you need to leave the van & open the doors to remove them. TBH we have never been disturbed on a wild camp, but still use internal screens "just in case".

Lots of good tips on keeping warm already, but extra underneath your sleeping bag can be surprisingly helpful. We use the blinds and curtains on cold nights but don't sleep with the heater on even tho it is externally vented - it simply isn't necessary.

Cutting out on draughts is the best way to stay warm, how well does the habitation door fit? What about the cab doors? Put the cab heater on "recirculate" to avoid draughts coming in that way, make sure all doors & vents are closed (unless you leave a heater on when you will need a vent or you will cook. Finally, we find that a blanket separating the cab area from the hab helps a lot by reducing draughts & reducing the area that is heated.

First to the loo in the morning puts the kettle & heater on & it's soon warm enough for getting out of bed. vans are generally fairly small (compared to a house) so easy & quick to heat.

our old van had a carver heater fitted and was thermostatically operated as you have in a house ,on the thermo dial was a on/off switch that turned the heater on/off and was situated at the side of the overcab bed so we dident have to get out of bed ,to turn the heating on

Tried all kinds of heating in 20 or so campers over the years but I love my eberspacher diesel heater

Tried all kinds of heating in 20 or so campers over the years but I love my eberspacher diesel heater

Is it because of the comforting roar that sends you to sleep? Or the ticking of the pump that reminds you of Christmas Panto & the crocodile in Peter Pan? Or the hot diesel fumes you disseminate to keep other campers well away from you? :dance:

Only teasing, but Ebersplutters do not always have the best reputation with their owners.

Is it because of the comforting roar that sends you to sleep? Or the ticking of the pump that reminds you of Christmas Panto & the crocodile in Peter Pan? Or the hot diesel fumes you disseminate to keep other campers well away from you? :dance:

Only teasing, but Ebersplutters do not always have the best reputation with their owners.

wrap the pump in bubble wrap makes it silent once its up to temp the roaring ceases I have it set to 15 degrees celcius at night so hardly comes on just keeps the chill off much cheaper to run than gas ones iv'e had previously I had a Truma 1800 in my view it was noisier and used more battery than the eber with an exhaust muffler and air combustion muffler it's virtualy silent

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back