Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

They actually recommended 2nd or 3rd in a 30 zone and said if you go up into 4th you automatically speed up to keep the revs down.

Back then the course included a spell out on the road driving and when you do it it does kind of work. But no, not in an automatic.
My only auto has a A4LD box, if you want to keep it in 2nd as highest gear you select 2, and 3 gives 3rd as highest gear.

Rob. I have done 2 speed awareness courses.. so they really work don't they :unsure:
the class instructor said keep to 30mph in 3rd gear
But my car is a 4.2 L V8 auto .. ??
a bit difficult but not entirely imposable

I did 3 in 4 years Tim which isn't supposed to be allowed.

My sister in law came out of a course and got nicked for speeding a couple of hundred yards down the road! :LOL:

I will be driving around the Welsh coast this summer.
Can’t say I am looking forward to spending a lot of time looking at speed limits, and watching my Speedo, and less time watching the road.
Attended lots of RTAs and I could count in one hand how many were due to speeding. This type of carte Blanche speed limit seems wrong. I would rather see a greater emphasis on some of the atrocious driving I see every week. But that would involve real policing, less convictions, and more resources. Slapping 20mph speed limits everywhere, and convicting people of driving modern vehicles at 23 mph, will do little for road safety. But sadly it’s coming bit by bit up here in Scotland also.

I will be driving around the Welsh coast this summer.
Can’t say I am looking forward to spending a lot of time looking at speed limits, and watching my Speedo, and less time watching the road.
Attended lots of RTAs and I could count in one hand how many were due to speeding. This type of carte Blanche speed limit seems wrong. I would rather see a greater emphasis on some of the atrocious driving I see every week. But that would involve real policing, less convictions, and more resources. Slapping 20mph speed limits everywhere, and convicting people of driving modern vehicles at 23 mph, will do little for road safety. But sadly it’s coming bit by bit up here in Scotland also.

Watch the speed limit, set speed limiter, concentrate on road. Well that's if cruise control and speed limiter work at 20?
Beyond that, I agree completely. :)

They actually recommended 2nd or 3rd in a 30 zone and said if you go up into 4th you automatically speed up to keep the revs down.

Back then the course included a spell out on the road driving and when you do it it does kind of work. But no, not in an automatic.
Speed up to keep revs down? What kind of motor do they drive? Because I want one :LOL:

Watch the speed limit, set speed limiter, concentrate on road. Well that's if cruise control and speed limiter work at 20?
Beyond that, I agree completely. :)
Cruise control on my car won't work as low as 20, not tried the van.

Some folks seem to think that it's "everywhere"...it's not, it's only in built up areas.

I live in west Wales and applaud the new law. If it saves just 1 life it is worth it. It has already had a noticeable affect in my eyes in villages where we live where the roads are narrow. Places feel a lot safer now as a pedestrian.

The CC in our Audi starts at 20mph so its easy to obey the law.

I've never had a vehicle with either speed limiter or cruise control.
On a recent course they stuck up a pic of a duel carriageway and asked what the speed limit was....consensus was 70
.then I mentioned differing speed limits for types of vehicle,
The mainly urban car drivers seem to have little concept of the different road types and speed limits on rural areas

Some folks seem to think that it's "everywhere"...it's not, it's only in built up areas.

I live in west Wales and applaud the new law. If it saves just 1 life it is worth it. It has already had a noticeable affect in my eyes in villages where we live where the roads are narrow. Places feel a lot safer now as a pedestrian.

The CC in our Audi starts at 20mph so its easy to obey the law.
Generally speaking I think the new speed limit replaces many or most of the old 30mph. I have nothing against 20mph speed limits when and where appropriate, on an individually assessed basis. There are obvious advantages as you say, but there are also disadvantages when applying such low speed limits. I watched a programme were a district nurse reckoned she could not get around all of her patients due to the time she lost, they also interviewed a delivery driver who stated it took her an extra 45 minutes to an hour to make her deliveries. These type of situations will have an adverse effect on the Welsh economy, and the services supplied to those in need. Also in my experience up here in roads were this 20mph has been set and someone abides strictly by it, on many occasions it leads to someone else overtaking, this has happened to me on more than one occasion from memory. I just think you have to look at the overall picture and accept that whereas there are advantages they come at a cost, as outlined in this article based on a Welsh government report. Obviously attempting to quantify these things relies on estimates that are difficult to evaluate, and only time will tell if this will prove a worthwhile policy, but I have my doubts.

Last edited:
Doing 20mph speed limits in Kent ....Herne bay town centre sprouted big red stripes and speed signs seemingly overnight! Personally, I wonder whether they were getting too many insurance claims for pothole damage and think slowing the traffic will reduce the damage. Painted over the potholes in places but not filled them!

There's talk of implementing Red Routes up here, that'll pee off some of the locals who seem to think they can park anywhere they like.

Doing 20mph speed limits in Kent ....Herne bay town centre sprouted big red stripes and speed signs seemingly overnight! Personally, I wonder whether they were getting too many insurance claims for pothole damage and think slowing the traffic will reduce the damage. Painted over the potholes in places but not filled them!

I don't understand the pothole problem Ruth.

There are Resin pothole fillers available now which will enable one person to repair a hole in minutes and traffic able to drive over it half an hour later.

There are methods and equipment that allow them to remove the tarmac, conveyor it backwards, clean it, re-melt it and re-lay it back down and roll it flat all in the same project, and it's not that new it's been around for at least ten years, the only thing they don't do is white line it at the same time.

There are methods and equipment that allow them to remove the tarmac, conveyor it backwards, clean it, re-melt it and re-lay it back down and roll it flat all in the same project, and it's not that new it's been around for at least ten years, the only thing they don't do is white line it at the same time.

Expensive equipment though Kev.

With the resin you just need a bloke with a bucket, a whisk and a trowel.

Expensive equipment though Kev.

With the resin you just need a bloke with a bucket, a whisk and a trowel.
Of course, but look at the traditional methods, loads of men and machinery, barriers up diversions a total nightmare for the locals.

Of course, but look at the traditional methods, loads of men and machinery, barriers up diversions a total nightmare for the locals.

That's what I mean though Kev.

For simple pothole repairs none of that is necessary. One bloke, one vehicle with beacons and all done in 20 minutes and ready to drive on.

Oh I get that Rob and next week he'll be back, the whole country's roads are a disgrace it patches on top of patches and they need to be remade properly, even the motorways are full of potholes.

Oh I get that Rob and next week he'll be back, the whole country's roads are a disgrace it patches on top of patches and they need to be remade properly, even the motorways are full of potholes.

From the relatively small amount I know about these new solutions Kev the resin is much harder wearing than normal tarmac and should last years.

I suppose it depends on what lies beneath though?

Back