Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

As usual it the prep which makes a good job, they get paid by the Sq m I think, a surveyor comes out with his spray paint to mark the hole, no time to do much more than sweep it out dump it in the hole then bash it down and on to the next hole

Over the past few years our council has announced the use of several types of pothole repair methods/machines which are supposed to have transformed the process, the potholes are getting worse.

One thing that really gets my goat are sleeping policemen in areas were driving at the speed limit would damage your vehicle owing to potholes. And there should be a standard model for sleeping policemen, some are far too severe. There is a street in Paisley where folk could not get a taxi, as most taxis refused to drive over the sleeping policemen in their street. I knew someone who lived there and even at 10 mph they were scary. Also I have seen sleeping policemen with no paintwork, as they have not been maintained properly. Come to think of it, I just hate sleeping policemen.

I think there is a speed hump standard, I read an article in our local rag with someone complaining they contravened the spec and went on to quote it, after measuring the humps!
The council did nothing.

One thing that really gets my goat are sleeping policemen in areas were driving at the speed limit would damage your vehicle owing to potholes. And there should be a standard model for sleeping policemen, some are far too severe. There is a street in Paisley where folk could not get a taxi, as most taxis refused to drive over the sleeping policemen in their street. I knew someone who lived there and even at 10 mph they were scary. Also I have seen sleeping policemen with no paintwork, as they have not been maintained properly. Come to think of it, I just hate sleeping policemen.
If they put the bloody things in the holes it would partly solve the problem, half the time you can't see them as the paint has worn off, they are invisible in the snow too and usually you cannot drive at the speed limit over them.

And why not use chicanes with priority signs, far better and no vehicle damage.

There have been plenty of head on collisions around here due to chicanes, in a couple of places they have been taken out.
That's driver error, nothing to do with the chicane or road surface, you will get collisions everywhere.

That's driver error, nothing to do with the chicane or road surface, you will get collisions everywhere.
It's due to drivers 'racing' to get through the chicane, that is much more dangerous than speed bumps. A friend of mine had a chicane built near his house, most days he would hear tyres screeching, and head on accidents most weeks, it was removed after about two years, don't underestimate how many dickheads there are on the road.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I much prefer to wait my turn than bounce over speed bumps.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I much prefer to wait my turn than bounce over speed bumps.
You might be, but if you've got priority at a chicane be ready to stamp on the brakes as the idiot coming the other way decides not to wait, this is not hearsay it's from personal experience, and on several occasions.

That’s more of a reflection on poor driving than the chicanes.
Possibly a years driving ban and a hefty fine for causing accidents would help solve the issue. I know were you are coming from, but should we really be removing traffic calming measures due to a few idiots, or sorting out the idiots.
Designing road safety around the lowest common denominator of human nature cannot be a way forward. And remember why these measures were introduced in the first place, because of that very lowest common denominator who are now causing accidents at the chicanes introduced to mitigate their poor driving in the first place.

That's like saying roundabouts are dangerous, people driving like idiots are causing problems not chicanes, as I said in an earlier post people need to be educated, including drivers.

That's like saying roundabouts are dangerous, people driving like idiots are causing problems not chicanes, as I said in an earlier post people need to be educated, including drivers.
Before the A77 was upgraded to motorway all the way to Ayrshire folk used to say that it was a dangerous road. The infamous A9 is also tarred with the same brush. But when you think about it, how can a road be dangerous. Don’t get me wrong I understand where Colin is coming from, and I do to some extent agree with him. But rather than removing the chicanes, I would rather remove some driving licences, dish out a few hefty fines, and sort out the idiots who created the need for the chicanes in the first place.

Possibly a years driving ban and a hefty fine for causing accidents would help solve the issue. I know were you are coming from, but should we really be removing traffic calming measures due to a few idiots, or sorting out the idiots.
Designing road safety around the lowest common denominator of human nature cannot be a way forward. And remember why these measures were introduced in the first place, because of that very lowest common denominator who are now causing accidents at the chicanes introduced to mitigate their poor driving in the first place.
Seems that's the way with everything, may as well include roads.
Just sit back and chuckle. :)

Traffic calming is there due to poor driving standards, a scheme which just changes the nature of the hazard caused by poor driving is a waste of time. As I've posted above, several schemes in our area have been removed due to the numbers of accidents caused by them, consider this, do you know how hard it is to get a council to admit doing something wrong!
One of the spots I sometimes wait for gf during her hospital visits is Bedford Embankment, I have witnessed numerous near misses, several crashes, and road rage incidents.

Traffic calming is there due to poor driving standards, a scheme which just changes the nature of the hazard caused by poor driving is a waste of time. As I've posted above, several schemes in our area have been removed due to the numbers of accidents caused by them, consider this, do you know how hard it is to get a council to admit doing something wrong!
One of the spots I sometimes wait for gf during her hospital visits is Bedford Embankment, I have witnessed numerous near misses, several crashes, and road rage incidents.
Hi Colin, Colin I do see where you are coming from.
But for me this issue goes way beyond chicanes, and is symptomatic of a society looking for an easy way out. Sorry but I don’t agree that the chicanes are dangerous, or indeed they are causing accidents. The accidents are the result of poor driving, and a lack of proper punishments for those who breech the law in this country. It’s the same for those who get caught sending text messages or using a handset to chat to someone whilst driving. A £200 fine and 6 penalty points is no where near enough to stop this. I would suggest a driving ban and a £1000 fine. There are to many idiots out there who need sorting out. But that’s just my opinion Colin, and I fully respect yours.

Just bring forward the enforced speed limiter system on cars to stop speeding, but that will bring on its own problems, and not applicable to older cars, which the younger driver will probably have. I use the limiter quite often on my X5, but that just encourages others to tailgate me 😕🤔.

Back