Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

Normal Edinburgh traffic then. Our bus on the A702 is frequently delayed in Edinburgh. 30 mins for first 5 miles. 30 mins for next 25 miles.
Yes roadworks don't help of course , and there are plenty of them .
Depending on which route bus lanes do make a difference .

So that great friend of the motorist (R Sunak) has decided not to include "limiting 20mph areas" in the King's Speech, despite telling everyone that he would. Perhaps he's realised that pedestrians are in favour and that saving a few lives is more important than saving a few minutes.

Gordon

Sadly without much more detailed information on the studies you refer to, we cannot tell if the results are applicable to this.

I said “assuming that speed bumps are used” because in my experience around my area (and other travels) 20mph limits are not upheld where people feel they’re not appropriate. That will be the case with a blanket introduction. The only way to enforce them is speed bumps and enforcement, and even then a large percentage of modern cars ignore them. In those around me I can confidently state that almost no one obeys the limit.

The idea that motorists will suddenly follow all 20mph limits (without considerable road changes and major expense on enforcement) is as ridiculous as the idea that journey times won’t increase.
speed bumps meens down changing and more polution, many her have ask fo them to be removed outside there homes as racer boys do a sprint take of with big loud ex pipes.

speed bumps meens down changing and more polution, many her have ask fo them to be removed outside there homes as racer boys do a sprint take of with big loud ex pipes.
Speed bumps tend to cause more emissions due to slowing and accelerating, but as I've posted earlier, all the one's around here are either in 30mph limits, or where put in place before the road became 20mph, I drive through 3 20mph limits several times a week and they have no speed bumps, I could take a route which is about same distance and has less 20mph, but then would have to drive over speed bumps. some of which are extremely aggressive to stop the 'boy racers'.

I think what’s really laughable is all those thinking that making a road a 20mph will mean drivers suddenly travel at 20mph.

Around me there are several 20mph zones and the only one that drivers voluntarily slow down on has speed bumps. On all the others people drive as normal.

I think what’s really laughable is all those thinking that making a road a 20mph will mean drivers suddenly travel at 20mph.

Around me there are several 20mph zones and the only one that drivers voluntarily slow down on has speed bumps. On all the others people drive as normal.

I am!

Of course they won't all SUDDENLY drive at 20mph (or below): it will take a while for the effect of the fines for speeding to kick in with those people who think the law doesn't apply to them ;)

Just think back to revised drink-driving limits (the breathalyser), the imposition of mandatory crash helmets (depriving people of their human rights to cover their head in whatever they deemed fit), the requirement to wear seat belts (clunk-click every trip) in the front and then in the rear, etc. BUT now those things are just part of daily routine. (y)

Gordon

I have been watching this thread with great interest..
all it has made made me do is that it has reinforced my desire never to ride in Wales ever again..

I have been watching this thread with great interest..
all it has made made me do is that it has reinforced my desire never to ride in Wales ever again..
Would you rather ride in England which has more 20mph limits?

Of course they won't all SUDDENLY drive at 20mph (or below): it will take a while for the effect of the fines for speeding to kick in with those people who think the law doesn't apply to them ;)

Just think back to revised drink-driving limits (the breathalyser), the imposition of mandatory crash helmets (depriving people of their human rights to cover their head in whatever they deemed fit), the requirement to wear seat belts (clunk-click every trip) in the front and then in the rear, etc. BUT now those things are just part of daily routine. (y)

Gordon
Some of the 20 limits have been in place for years.

The examples you give were and are all strictly enforced. That is the major reason people followed the new rules.

The only 20 limits around here where the majority of drivers obey it is where there are severe speed bumps or effective enforcement. Most don’t have them, so drivers don’t obey the limits. I suspect that applies all over the U.K.

Without those, drivers don’t obey them.

Gordon
Not here with belts, very few if any do so in the back, also seen you kids deliverd to school in front seats with no child seat or belt, one dad brought his kid in a works van, then there is gran picking them up, no belts or child seats in her car.
And what about the folk not fasting there bike helmets, very common from what i see.

Same with mobile phone use. It’s still a problem, for 2 reasons.

Those doing it don’t really think it’s a problem plus they really don’t think they will be caught.

It’s the same with 20mph zones, especially when introduced across the board. Drivers won’t agree with them and won’t think they’ll be caught. So they won’t obey them.

The ‘problem’ won’t be solved but the politicians will be able to count the populist votes.

It’s the same with 20mph zones, especially when introduced across the board. Drivers won’t agree with them and won’t think they’ll be caught. So they won’t obey them.

HYPOTHESIS: once 20% of drivers decide to stick to the 20mph limit, the other 80% will be constrained to travelling at 20mph OR overtake, which will probably be difficult, possibly dangerous and definitely draw attention to their act of breaking the law.

From 2022 all new cars had to be fitted with speed limiters and, I think, from 2024 all new cars have to be fitted Intelligent Speed Assistance, which is capable of restricting the speed to the legal maximum in the area where they are driving. I don't think that this has to be enabled under current legislation but once it is then drivers will stick to the speed limits, even if they don't wish to do so. So perhaps these laws will be obeyed more readily than some believe.

Gordon

HYPOTHESIS: once 20% of drivers decide to stick to the 20mph limit, the other 80% will be constrained to travelling at 20mph OR overtake, which will probably be difficult, possibly dangerous and definitely draw attention to their act of breaking the law.

From 2022 all new cars had to be fitted with speed limiters and, I think, from 2024 all new cars have to be fitted Intelligent Speed Assistance, which is capable of restricting the speed to the legal maximum in the area where they are driving. I don't think that this has to be enabled under current legislation but once it is then drivers will stick to the speed limits, even if they don't wish to do so. So perhaps these laws will be obeyed more readily than some believe.

Gordon
If only 1 driver sticks to the limit, those behind who don’t want to will get frustrated and will act dangerously in some cases. While that is no excuse, that’s not really helping road safety.

When they do break the speed limit (like most do regularly) who exactly is going to spot them. I can’t stress enough that the 20 limits I know are repeatedly broken, by the majority, with no enforcement.

There is no current legislation to restrict cars speed and it is not on the horizon.

It’s just a shame that people support arbitrary and populist moves like this that will have little impact, may make things worse and will do nothing to deal with the real road safety issues that so many face on a daily basis.

Gordon
And the problem with that is if a big truck is about to smash into you then the freedom of puting the boot down to get away has gone.

Gordon
I stick to the 20 in my street and have been overtaken 5 times .

And the problem with that is if a big truck is about to smash into you then the freedom of puting the boot down to get away has gone.
Don't worry the system doesn't actually restrict the speed, put your boot down hard and the car will accelerate.

If only 1 driver sticks to the limit, those behind who don’t want to will get frustrated and will act dangerously in some cases. While that is no excuse, that’s not really helping road safety.

When they do break the speed limit (like most do regularly) who exactly is going to spot them. I can’t stress enough that the 20 limits I know are repeatedly broken, by the majority, with no enforcement.

There is no current legislation to restrict cars speed and it is not on the horizon.

It’s just a shame that people support arbitrary and populist moves like this that will have little impact, may make things worse and will do nothing to deal with the real road safety issues that so many face on a daily basis.
I think that the legislation does exit now. Albeit for the EU countries and if we have aspirations for the mass export of our cars to the EU ..........

Last edited:
Back