Wales – Wildcamping Challenge

We are off to Wales in May for 4 weeks - along the south coast, up the west coast to Anglesey, to Liverpool and back south through the centre of Wales. We will do 6 nights wild-camping and then stay on a campsite for a night. I created a Google map of Cadw sites so we will explore some of these. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=16ZnoA7ET9tgFfcCmeaI7g8NADt6RF2o&usp=sharing

I’m now doing some planning. Looking at P4N and SfS (very few of the Wildcamping POIs have reviews or recent verification) it looks like Wales has bought a job-lot of ‘no overnight’ signs! For many of the locations that had glowing reviews the latest reviews say that there are now ‘no overnight’ signs there.

- Anyone have recent experience of travelling in Wales?
- Pwllheli and the Llyn Peninsula and Anglesey appear to be particularly challenging.
- Any stand-out campsites?

Thank you
If you join CADW its then free to enter and also half price entry to English Hertage in year of joining, then free entry in year two and on wards
Enjoy!

Reactions: GMJ
You can get access to OS maps for free on a PC through Bing Maps.
View attachment 119934

Unfortunately the option isn't there if you're using a phone and presumably a tablet.. I find it very useful for sussing out an area if I know where we are going in advance.
I've mentioned it before ... there's an app called Backcountry Navigator on Android (not sure about iOS) which has all the functionality you need for travelling. One of the map sources available for the UK is Bing and this provides access to all the OS maps.

I recommend the app highly.

I've mentioned it before ... there's an app called Backcountry Navigator on Android (not sure about iOS) which has all the functionality you need for travelling. One of the map sources available for the UK is Bing and this provides access to all the OS maps.

I recommend the app highly.
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Just had a look.
bing.png

Day 13 and we are at the Llanfair Bach Caravan & Camping Site, Holyhead. Would have liked to have stayed close to South Stack but the CAMpRA 'aire' does not have an elsan point, the CS was full and the others did not answer the phone or respond to messages left.

Our immersion in Welsh herritge continued with visits to; St Davids Bishop's Palace, St Dogmaels Abbey, Cilgerran Castle, Strata Florida Abbey, Dyfi Furnace, Harlech Castle, Criccieth Castle (closed the day we visited) and Caernarfon Castle.

At 3 of the 6 overnight places this week we were on our own, nice and quiet, two with great views.

Next, a couple of nights on Anglesey, east to the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct & Canal and then south down the middle of Wales.

Now at Ceiriog Valley Park campsite for our 3rd and final pit-stop. Good campsite, we are right on the river.

We were on Anglesey for 4 nights; South Stack and Beaumaris Castle - spent a couple of nights at Cemaes Bay, a beach day in the sunshine, also close to Wylfa Nuclear Power Station.

We continued with our immersion in Welsh herritge with visits to Conwy and Rhuddlan castles.

Now on the homeward leg, south to Chepstow. Poor choice of wild spots around; Tretower, Raglan, Tintern and Chepstow - trying to avoid laybys.

It's all been good and looking forward to another week of Welsh sunshine and herritage.

If close to Llangollen, you can overnight (FOC) at the Rhug estate. (y) Try the Bison burger.

Great place. They welcome over nighters we were there last week. Toilets during shop opening hours and level hard standings. Bit of building work on at the moment so the heated patio isn't available. Didn't need it last week anyway! We parked up next to a picnic table and had a couple of their bacon butties for breakfast.

https://rhug.co.uk/overnight-camping
"If you’re planning to stay overnight in the car park, we do ask that you register with the shop when you arrive. If you find you are unable to arrive before closing time then we request that you call ahead and leave your details and an estimated time of arrival.

You can park anywhere in the car park. There are several external water taps around the farmshop building which you are free to use if you need some water topping up.

We would appreciate those staying to support us by shopping in our Farm Shop and having a meal from our Takeaway, Café Rhug or Drive Thru."

Passed the Rhug Estate today. It would have been handy but we needed all the services of a campsite after 6 nights wild camping. Next time.

It's all been good and looking forward to another week of Welsh sunshine and herritage.

Now that's a sentence you don't hear very often!

After 45 nights away on our trip we are looking forward to getting back home to our place in Carmarthenshire and to some of this sun we've been reading about whilst we've been away!

At around noon yesterday we crossed over the border back into England for the first time in 4 weeks. 27 nights in Wales, 9 on our own. Mostly brillant sunshine, it only rained once. Wildcamping was pretty straightforward, we mainly kept away from the coast, although we did witness some of the behaviour that gives us a bad name.

Wales is now our 3rd most visited country (54 nights), in our van, behind Spain and England. Still lots to see, so we will return.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back