Wales – Wildcamping Challenge

UFO

We are off to Wales in May for 4 weeks - along the south coast, up the west coast to Anglesey, to Liverpool and back south through the centre of Wales. We will do 6 nights wild-camping and then stay on a campsite for a night. I created a Google map of Cadw sites so we will explore some of these. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=16ZnoA7ET9tgFfcCmeaI7g8NADt6RF2o&usp=sharing

I’m now doing some planning. Looking at P4N and SfS (very few of the Wildcamping POIs have reviews or recent verification) it looks like Wales has bought a job-lot of ‘no overnight’ signs! For many of the locations that had glowing reviews the latest reviews say that there are now ‘no overnight’ signs there.

- Anyone have recent experience of travelling in Wales?
- Pwllheli and the Llyn Peninsula and Anglesey appear to be particularly challenging.
- Any stand-out campsites?

Thank you

Porth Lago (close to Aberdaron )on the Llyn ....

£15 a night at the pay and display
No electric BUT toilets and possibly showers are finished now ....
Stunning beach and location

Great bakers at Aberdaron

Tywyn Headland ....nice scenic and free (busy with locals dogwalking at times)
Toilets on seafront

Borth Golf club car park
(£10 a night )
No electric or facilities BUT stunning chilled location
Pay on gate/phone number

Chemical dump point/water at nearby Aberystwyth Rugby club for a small charge OR
Motorhome stop over at same place ...locked car park and nice quiet location AND local for Aberystwyth itself .

Highly recommended any of those ....

There are a number of Campra recognised aires in Wales. Easiest way to find them is go to the Search for sites website and click on the link below the CAMpRA logo which takes you to a dedicated map. Otherwise true 'wilding' stops are becoming scarce. Best to stay inland in the forests where you can tuck yourself away discretely. Regarding 'stand-out' campsites, try Fforest Fields near Builth Wells. Very well run and kept with excellent walks. We visit every year in winter to enjoy the crispy frosts but avoid in the summer as it becomes too busy for us grumpy wrinklies. You should be OK in May.

PS As per Moonraker above Powys allow 1 night in 7 in most of their car parks. The Promenade in Brecon is arguably the best; views of the river and 10min walk to town.

Last edited:
We are off to Wales in May for 4 weeks - along the south coast, up the west coast to Anglesey, to Liverpool and back south through the centre of Wales. We will do 6 nights wild-camping and then stay on a campsite for a night. I created a Google map of Cadw sites so we will explore some of these. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=16ZnoA7ET9tgFfcCmeaI7g8NADt6RF2o&usp=sharing

I’m now doing some planning. Looking at P4N and SfS (very few of the Wildcamping POIs have reviews or recent verification) it looks like Wales has bought a job-lot of ‘no overnight’ signs! For many of the locations that had glowing reviews the latest reviews say that there are now ‘no overnight’ signs there.

- Pwllheli and the Llyn Peninsula and Anglesey appear to be particularly challenging.

Thank you
I've given up on Wales, due ''no overnighting'' and expensive site fees , recomend head for Scotland instead. 🙂

Reactions: UFO
We had a week down there about a month ago, no issues with wild camping, just used the app and a few places we'd stayed before.

Reactions: UFO

Thank you
You can camp at Pwllheli Marina at the end of the road. There are public toilets at the end of the YC building.
Llyn peninsular has loads of very small roads and you can stop at Abadarren.

Wilding in Wales is great fun and just needs a bit of looking and researching. P4N and SfS are both good ‘go to’ apps. We spend about a month each year doing just what you are looking at.
I’d endorse all the previous recommendations but note that the popular holiday destinations around Tenby/St David’s in the SW corner and Pwllheli/Portmadog/Snowdonia (North)/Anglesey and the N coast are more restrictive….but there are places just a few miles inland that can be found for a night. e.g. Harlech next to the rail station is a good, quiet spot.
As for organised sites….there’s good and bad all along the west coast which are what I’d describe as acceptable for one overnight, but do try Morben Isaf next to the Dyfi Osprey Centre (a must visit) on the A487 west of Machynlleth for a full ‘service’ - call in advance (at Mac you can wild camp safely on the edge of town too).
In summary; theres plenty of choice, yes there are restrictions in some places, do your research and you’ll be spoilt for choice.

We're only just over the border but had a bit of a wander a few weeks ago and stopped at...........................
Aberystwyth RFC​
Glan y Mor Aire Fairbourne​
Sun Trevor, Llangollen​
Presteigne Allotments​
I submitted the last one through the WC app. All others are on Search for Sites with up to date reviews, including mine.​

We're only just over the border but had a bit of a wander a few weeks ago and stopped at...........................
Aberystwyth RFC​
Glan y Mor Aire Fairbourne​
Sun Trevor, Llangollen​
Presteigne Allotments​
I submitted the last one through the WC app. All others are on Search for Sites with up to date reviews, including mine.​
With all due respect won't the allotment holders at Presteigne be a bit peed off when they can't park....

With all due respect won't the allotment holders at Presteigne be a bit peed off when they can't park....
We weren't stopping allotment users from parking. I don't know if the car park is specifically for the allotments, this was simply my name for it.
When we parked there it was a Friday afternoon in late March and we kept an eye on comings and goings so that we could move on if necessary. There were a few dog walkers as there is also a little nature reserve type place there too. We made plans to be off swiftly in the morning as we thought that allotment users would be there bright and early on a Saturday morning with good weather.
From late afternoon Friday until 8:30am on a bright Saturday morning all we saw were dog walkers, all of whom arrived on foot. Not a single vehicle came to park, and yes we left plenty of room for others to park there, and of course we would have moved on had anyone asked us to.

Please can I beg you to write to Powys Council, as I did, to thank them for the overnight allowances and how important it is for us and their tourism.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We are looking forward to our 'Wales Challenge'. We might swing through Snowdon NP as it looks like overnighting is possible.

@UFO we live on the border near Chirk so are in and out of North Wales very frequently.
I tend to use the locations on the apps as plan B or C simply because everyone and their dog uses the apps now and places are becoming too busy or more typically the spots are not that inviting.

Most of the time we look for places without even referring to the apps typically using google maps and there’s some amazing places to find on forestry tracks especially around Bala.

A 'stand out' campsite we stayed at was in Llanberis when we did our north Wales tour after lockdown.

It's a stand out due to its position as in Llanberis as there is the Llanberis path up Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon) or you can get the train up. There is a lake there and also a steam railway plus the National Slate Museum which is free and worth a visit.

If you are hitting a number of CADW sites then it may well be worth joining for a year. We are members and our son renews it each year as an Xmas pressie for us. You get free entry and 50% off English Heritage and Historic Scotland sites in your first year and these become free entry if you renew after a year.

Thank you
you can stop in New quay at top of town great spot its £10 a night in carpark you park at the top in the wooded area its nice spot you will need ramps thou, Aberystwyth prom by harbour is another spot don't forget to get parking ticket or try Rugby club (£10) good bar and if you are lucky free game of rugby
another stop is Dinas Dinlle, on the bank towards airport it has signs but no issues in last 3 years we stayed,
Anglesey you have Holyhead harbour by RNLI station , South stack at the top by Quarry, Amlwch Harbour , Cemaes Bay opposite side to pizza lady hut thats a must and Porth Dafarch but park up top in the day time so kayak and paddle boarders can get down to beach and they wont complain
Bangor pier is another good spot amazing views only £3 for the night and £2 to go on pier

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back