Vertical solar

At the latitude of York a vertical solar panel can gather more sunlight than a horizontal roof mounted one for more than half the year.
View attachment 126747
Interesting and obvious. Not just yorkshire, wonder what the stats are for places such as Malaga Spain?
We have always had to run the engine to top up when there in the winter with this spec:
2x200 pv
Truma gas heater
Led lights
2x 110a wet lead acid banner (now AGM).
Someone mention sunshine?
Wiltshire 5pm 4 jan drowning in very heavy rain, again.

Yesterday's total was 320w. The two horizontal 100w panels make one quarter of the two vertical 100w panels. No sun

Ive got 2 x 295 solar panels and 4 x 100 lithium batteries ive never need to plug into main yet.
LUXURY.Ive actually got by on two 100w panels flat on the roof for the last 12 years,summer an abundance of power but between november to late feb I would ration the leccy.It can be done.Now though a 100amp lithium which I run and charge from a friends house is proving excellent.The two flat panels now are solely for keeping starter bat fully charged.The two verticals are for when im not parked in city.Your setup Windsurfer is what I will be putting on my next home hopefully this year or something very similar.

LUXURY.Ive actually got by on two 100w panels flat on the roof for the last 12 years,summer an abundance of power but between november to late feb I would ration the leccy.It can be done.Now though a 100amp lithium which I run and charge from a friends house is proving excellent.The two flat panels now are solely for keeping starter bat fully charged.The two verticals are for when im not parked in city.Your setup Windsurfer is what I will be putting on my next home hopefully this year or something very similar.
The other advantage I've got I can remotely tilt my panels up at any angle soo winterm9nth I can still get a good few amps
IMG_20211021_151528.jpg

I used to use a 10w panel on my boats Trev. (starter battery only). No controller needed for this wattage and a trickle charge kept it topped up whenever the Sun shone during Winter.
It would on a boat as only 3/4 of an amp, but vans have alarms and other stuff, so 2 plus amps required to charge and run stuff, 30w/40 min panel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back