Vaccine

why on earth would anyone have a stockpile of 50million doses should be concentrating on getting them out not hoarding them
I would think because it is in India, made in India and India are getting it in arms in India as quickly as they can. They have 30 million health care workers and approx 270 million over 50 or deemed high risk. They need a lot of vaccine.

I would think because it is in India, made in India and India are getting it in arms in India as quickly as they can. They have 30 million health care workers and approx 270 million over 50 or deemed high risk. They need a lot of vaccine.
i had pfizer vaccine.....info states it was maufacturered in germany.............so there are probably many companies manufacturing it.........however idia is the largest manufacture of vaccines in the world................
i would think you are correct in that india are wanting to vacinate their own first.....or at least have enough to complete the job........tis only to be expected probably...take care

apparently pfizer vaccine only gives 50% protection on first jab..........,,,new strain of covid apparently makes vaccine 50% less effective............also pfizer say 2nd jab should be given within 3 weeks...............so,says radio 4........and its what pfizer have said all along.............
so all that stress of me trying to get to jab hub etc was all in vain.........???????????
mind,,,,,im still going to look on positive side......and also follow all ppe instructions etc.... all stay safe

Was that said 'tongue in cheek'?
As for the Pfizer vaccine, AFAIK things haven't changed since I posted this.

Just seen that the first dose of Pfiser vaccine gives 90% protection, haven't double checked that, and it does contradict earlier data, but if true then single dose roll out makes sense.
p.s.
So I've drilled down into the data.
For Pfiser up to day 15 it's 52%, from day 15 to day 21 it's 89%, there is no info after day 21.
For AstraZeneca, there is no data up to day 21, from then there is 73% protection, then the analysis is that it "likely lasts" for up to 12 weeks, but there appears to be no data to back that up at the moment.

We're up to our knees in the mire on all fronts.
Just keep plodding on, no other options.

Hopefully the production, distribution and administration of the vaccines will follow an upward trend.

If I get mine by the middle of February (promised for the "group" I'm in, but I take all the words spouted with a large pinch of salt) I will consider it a small miracle and be grateful.

As to whether the current vaccines will still work effectively for the new variants, just have to wait and see - along with the rest of the world.

my point of the stockpile was not that they have a stovck of 50m doses but a stockpile ie stored for future use probably just a question of phraseology,
think covid will be around permanently it’s a virus like flu viruses change in two ways drift ie mutate or the shift jumping species or combining prob be getting your annual flu jab & covid jab annually only difference might be that it’s give universally

my point of the stockpile was not that they have a stovck of 50m doses but a stockpile ie stored for future use probably just a question of phraseology,
think covid will be around permanently it’s a virus like flu viruses change in two ways drift ie mutate or the shift jumping species or combining prob be getting your annual flu jab & covid jab annually only difference might be that it’s give universally
They did it with Small Pox, Ken. No reason to believe they can’t do it again.

Ive been lay on the couch all day watching telly and my belly growing. I popped the telly on and watching the news you'd be scared senseless, massive increase in infection deaths with new variant. Whilst it is indeed a concern they should add the rest of what the scientists say and get it into perspective. Of those who sadly catch COVID ten in a thousand will sadly pass away. The new variant increases this to around 13 in a thousand of over 65 males. And to get that into perspective that goes from 1% to 1.3%. That is a concern given the number of infections and will sadly result in more deaths but i really think they are scaring folk and should get more sense of perspective.. Im a HUGE vaccine supporter and self isolate all the time and wear a mask Partly due to COVID but also as I dont like people and am ugly but i do hope folk dont get really scared as some people especially those who may be very worried get even more scared and anxious. The vaccine will get us through just keep doing what the govt says and we'll be back on the road later in the year

I can't wait to get the jab but have to admit that the Pfizer one will fill me with some apprehension for a few days afterwards.

Astra Zeneca for me please.

remember , this is just the beginning of it all.....shudder to think what the outcome will be ...dont think we will ever get rid of the virus..........

As bad as things are we must keep things in perspective.

its just over a 100 years since the outbreak of Spanish flu and coming immediately on the back of WW1 it could not have happened at a worse time.
Spanish flu killed a minimum of 50 million as opposed to our current 2 million, But it was eventually beaten and people went on living normal lives.
Since then we have had the benefit of 100 years of advances in technology, medicine, heath services, etc etc.

Stay positive, hope for the best and follow the rules. And remember with plenty of volume---

Dezi

As bad as things are we must keep things in perspective.

its just over a 100 years since the outbreak of Spanish flu and coming immediately on the back of WW1 it could not have happened at a worse time.
Spanish flu killed a minimum of 50 million as opposed to our current 2 million, But it was eventually beaten and people went on living normal lives.
Since then we have had the benefit of 100 years of advances in technology, medicine, heath services, etc etc.

Stay positive, hope for the best and follow the rules. And remember with plenty of volume---

Dezi
hmm....yes civilization will still go on.............spanish flu 50 million did not go on they died..............mothers fthers children...sisters, brothers..etc....
thanks dezi as you say we must keep things in perspective...........its the young ones i worry for,,,,,what kind of world is going to be left behind for them.........take care

A new covid problem occurred to me today whilst taking my exercise. All these people who fear that by passing me in the street, would immediately be infected, happily step into the road. If they were then run over and killed by the bus they didn't see. Would that be a covid related death?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back