Tyres

That's exactly what happens. Manufacturers spend a lot on development and obviously want a return. It goes beyond just marketing because they will lobby and lobby until guidelines and even laws are changed.
Have visited Finland a fair amount as a kid, even in the 70's people put studded tyres on their cars in the winter, but trucks would still use the same tyres all year, drivers were given a set of chains.
M+S tyres were always considered usable as a winter tyre, as long as they had more than 5mm left, no longer now in some countries, your tyres have to be 3PMSF to meet minimum winter tyre requirements.

Anyway, I got CrossClimate+ on the car, and BFG AT2's on the van, so got all Europe covered. As far as snow goes, the BFG's are far superior to the CrossClimates, especially when you run them at 20psi :LOL:
20 PSI....Do you 'pop' em back on with lighter fuel when they slip off the rims Mark!

go back to chewing over the old ground like we're all idiots and need telling over and over again.
Well it seems you do need telling time and again.
I pointed out that the makers and sellers of tyres might not be purely philanthropic
And this part of your post proves that, as I've pointed out several times manufacturers and fitters do give advise on only fitting two tyres at a time, it's when fitting different season tyres that they say it shouldn't be done.
You're right, if you're going to fit just one set of new tyres they need to go where they're best suited so I'll be putting ONE set of good tyres on the FRONT of my van for all the reasons above and also because that's the wheels that do the driving, contribute most to braking and of course do the steering too.
And this is directly contrary to advise given by anyone who knows anything about tyres and driving
Some people here don't have a load of money, fine if you can afford to get that extra bit of safety by fitting 4 tyres when 2 will legally do, but that's not a real world option for a lot of people.
That's fine, just buy a pair of tyres of the same 'season', and not the more expensive option.

1 bar when it's rough, 0.5 bar when really tough going, with a very light foot. Turbo diesels and traction control ain't your friends them :)

1 bar when it's rough, 0.5 bar when really tough going, with a very light foot. Turbo diesels and traction control ain't your friends them :)

Could have saved that couple in the Australian desert a few years back Mark.

Well it seems you do need telling time and again.

And this part of your post proves that, as I've pointed out several times manufacturers and fitters do give advise on only fitting two tyres at a time, it's when fitting different season tyres that they say it shouldn't be done.

And this is directly contrary to advise given by anyone who knows anything about tyres and driving

That's fine, just buy a pair of tyres of the same 'season', and not the more expensive option.

telling time and again
There you go again Colin, telling and not advising which is my beef with your attitude.
Proves what? Your post makes no sense Colin.
How about you stop skirting/ deflecting/ swerving and let us all know with a yes or a no whether you agree that manufacturers and sellers have more than safety on their agenda when they 'recommend' fitting all season tyres all round and not just on one axle?

Rather it's contrary to your opinion Colin.
In post 20 you were proud to claim that you drove with opposite lock on your daily commute to work. Hardly good and responsible driving.

That's fine, just buy a pair of tyres of the same 'season', and not the more expensive option
Yes, that's an option but it won't get me off a muddy field as well.

In post 20 you were proud to claim that you drove with opposite lock on your daily commute to work. Hardly good and responsible driving.
There's actually a mistake in that post, I've owned a Seven for over 43 years, that aside you are making assumptions, you see I actually modified the car by putting a stronger spring on the throttle so that when driving on the road in the wet I wouldn't inadvertently apply the throttle when hitting a bump, but still allowing me to drive it on opposite lock on the track, where my actions in correcting a problem with the car responsible enough for you?

Proves what? Your post makes no sense Colin.
How about you stop skirting/ deflecting/ swerving and let us all know with a yes or a no whether you agree that manufacturers and sellers have more than safety on their agenda when they 'recommend' fitting all season tyres all round and not just on one axle?
It makes perfect sense if you take your blinkers off.
If you read the cut and paste in post 51 you will see the Conti have no problem with advising that fitting of only two tyres due to budget constraints or lack of availability is acceptable, and here's Michelins advice on fitting different tyres to front and rear.

Can there be different levels of wear on front and rear tyres?​

The tyres on a car wear differently at the front and rear. When you buy a new car or change all four tyres at once, the tyres of a front-wheel drive car tend to wear out faster than the rear tyres. It is therefore normal to have differences in tread depth between the front and rear tyres. The law does not prohibit this as long as the wear indicators are not reached.

Replacing two new tyres: should you put them on the front or the rear?​

Deeper tread tyres on the rear axle provide better handling, wet grip, and evacuate water, thereby helping to avoid oversteer and loss of vehicle stability on wet surfaces.
Deeper tread tyres on the front axle can improve wet straight line braking and stopping distance.
If only two tyres are being replaced, MICHELIN generally recommends they be installed on the rear axle in the absence of a tyre service professional's recommendation or consumer's preference to the contrary.

Can you put different brand tyres on the front and rear?​

There is no law against it. For example, you can fit MICHELIN tyres at the front and another brand at the rear.

Can there be different treads on the front and rear tyres?​

We have seen that it is possible to fit tyres of different brands at the front and rear. It is also possible to fit tyres of the same brand with different tread patterns at the front and rear

Can you mix winter and summer tyres on the front and rear?​

Legally, this is not forbidden, but it is not what the Michelin experts recommend. Why not? Because road and weather conditions can cause tyres to behave differently.
For example, if you put summer tyres on the front and winter tyres on the rear: in winter, your rear tyres will grip well and you will not risk a spin.
On the other hand, in summer it will be the other way round: the summer tyre will grip better on dry roads and there will be a risk of "oversteering" with winter tyres on the rear. Oversteer is when the car turns more than it is told to do with the steering wheel: it is the beginning of a spin.
It is therefore not recommended to fit different season tyres at the front and rear, but if this is the case, it is preferable to fit summer tyres at the front and 4-season or winter tyres at the rear.

Do you have some sort of tyre bolts fitted to run as low as half a bar?

Do you have some sort of tyre bolts fitted to run as low as half a bar?
I haven't, just a gentle right foot :)
I don't know if I've been as low as 0.5 bar, I use deflators and when I went to Libya and Morocco I pre set them at 15psi, or 18psi. The few times I let more air out I was stuck and never checked what pressure tyre went down to.
Whenever any of us got stuck in Libya, we'd all be mucking about with sand mats and digging, the desert guide would just walk about laughing at the mad north europeans, kick the tyres and say too much air, 0.5 bar, took us a while to realise he wasn't mad. :ROFLMAO:

I suspect I would fail the gentle left foot test although I can go full length of the drove at 3mph so maybe not lol

I haven't, just a gentle right foot :)
I don't know if I've been as low as 0.5 bar, I use deflators and when I went to Libya and Morocco I pre set them at 15psi, or 18psi. The few times I let more air out I was stuck and never checked what pressure tyre went down to.
Whenever any of us got stuck in Libya, we'd all be mucking about with sand mats and digging, the desert guide would just walk about laughing at the mad north europeans, kick the tyres and say too much air, 0.5 bar, took us a while to realise he wasn't mad. :ROFLMAO:
Careful Mark, you'll get a ticking off from the safety egg-sperts about recommended pressures and all that.

you see I actually modified the car by putting a stronger spring on the throttle so that when driving on the road in the wet I wouldn't inadvertently apply the throttle when hitting a bump
But that’s part of the fun in owning a 7 I think

For over 20 years it was my daily driver, gets a bit tiresome after 10's of thousands of miles, especially on a dark winters night.
Tell me, I parted with mine last year ☹️

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back