Trolley Jack.

I'm working towarfs getting a bottle jack that will go under outer ends of suspension arms.
That way only need to lift a few inches to get even a flat tyre off the ground.
Lifting the chassis requires far too much travel - particularly on an Alko chassis.
My first li e of attack will be the breakdown firm though!
Are the two dwarfs handy then, I shall get a few at the weekend. 😂

Still only thin tin,dont do it.
Since the advent of crumple sones and safety cells sills are reinforced to stop the cabin from folding in under impact and allow doors to open after certain speed impacts , sill jacking points are fitted to a high strength part of the sill and can used for jacking up a car safely , if done according to manufacturers hand book .

Last edited:
Since the advent of crumple sones and safety cells sills are reinforced to stop the cabin from folding in under impact and allow doors to open after certain speed impacts , sill jacking points are fitted to a high strength part of the sill and can used for jacking up a car safely , if done according to manufacturers hand book .
I know all this, but not much use on a old car as I have seen many a jack fold them in, anyway the car goes up but the wheel don't, better to jack the wishbone.

I know all this, but not much use on a old car as I have seen many a jack fold them in, anyway the car goes up but the wheel don't, better to jack the wishbone.
I wouldn't use anything but the original manufacturers jack on the sill AND only then on a vehicle over 3 years old....

Much better as Trev says on a substantial suspension component.

I wouldn't use anything but the original manufacturers jack on the sill AND only then on a vehicle over 3 years old....

Much better as Trev says on a substantial suspension component.
Make sure it’s at the end of a suspension component or you may scrap the part.

Hope you don't get a puncture in the first 3 years could be a long wait

Last edited:
I have seen outer sills collapse on new cars due to owners not reading the hand book and missing the jacking point completely.and still blame the jack

Last edited:
Iv seen garages squash the sill flat at the bottom due to using a single pillar lift with swing out arms, don't like lifting on any part of a bit of folded tin at best.

Our MH came with the E&P levelling system fitted to it when we bought it second hand. It has been great when parking up to camp but also 3 days ago when we had a rear blow out whilst on the M6. I got the recovery guy out (eventually after 4 hours despite being a "priority") and used the levelling system to lift one side so the wheel could be changed.

The recovery guy was most impressed and also happy that he didn't have to mess around with jacks on the hard shoulder!
Lucky you had a hard shouler.... Don't start me off about " Smart"/Death "Motorways!!!!!

I was given a 2-tonne trolley jack some time ago and tried it out under my Ducato-based 'van. Placing it under the jacking points, at full extension it did not even lift the wheels off the ground, and it felt unstable: I think "molly2" said it all. I did think of investing in a bottle jack but I think it would have to be a twin extension jack - very expensive!!
However, for me this is rather academic: since my particular model of 'van lacks capacity to carry a spare wheel I can't envisage a circumstance while I am travelling that would require me to jack up my van. As a precaution, I have filled my tyres with "Airseal" pre-puncture sealant so I can keep moving should I have a puncture - unless as happened a few years ago with an earlier 'van, when some passing **** stuck a screwdriver through the sidewall of one of my front tyres while my 'van was parked on my drive: with the tyre as flat as a pancake I could not then get the jack I had at the time under the jacking point, anyway.

I was given a 2-tonne trolley jack some time ago and tried it out under my Ducato-based 'van. Placing it under the jacking points, at full extension it did not even lift the wheels off the ground, and it felt unstable: I think "molly2" said it all. I did think of investing in a bottle jack but I think it would have to be a twin extension jack - very expensive!!
However, for me this is rather academic: since my particular model of 'van lacks capacity to carry a spare wheel I can't envisage a circumstance while I am travelling that would require me to jack up my van. As a precaution, I have filled my tyres with "Airseal" pre-puncture sealant so I can keep moving should I have a puncture - unless as happened a few years ago with an earlier 'van, when some passing **** stuck a screwdriver through the sidewall of one of my front tyres while my 'van was parked on my drive: with the tyre as flat as a pancake I could not then get the jack I had at the time under the jacking point, anyway.
Thats why you lift the axle not the body.
No bother with my bus, and I always play safe with an axle stand of slip a wheel under to be safe.
axle in b.jpg
axle  1.jpg
axle in a.jpg

In my 6.3M Ducato PVC I carry the standard jack which is up to the job of lifting and isn't too bad to wind up.
I also carry a 12 inch square of 6mm thick Aluminium treadplate as a base for the jack and I use one of the wooden levelling boards I always carry if I need extra lift.
Finally, I also use some wooden chocks/blocks either side of the tyre on the opposite side of the axle to the wheel I'm removing in case the jack does "fall over"... you cannot be too careful with these things.
I would love to carry a good trolley jack but I doubt if it alone would have sufficient lift and good ones are heavy and I dont have a lot of payload...
So many things to consider. ( Q: how many bottles of wine/beer does a good trolley jack weigh? )
K ;)
P.s. the underside of your bus looks very tidy Trevor 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back