Trolley Jack.

trevskoda

I'm working towarfs getting a bottle jack that will go under outer ends of suspension arms.
That way only need to lift a few inches to get even a flat tyre off the ground.
Lifting the chassis requires far too much travel - particularly on an Alko chassis.
My first li e of attack will be the breakdown firm though!
Are the two dwarfs handy then, I shall get a few at the weekend. 😂

molly 2

Still only thin tin,dont do it.
Since the advent of crumple sones and safety cells sills are reinforced to stop the cabin from folding in under impact and allow doors to open after certain speed impacts , sill jacking points are fitted to a high strength part of the sill and can used for jacking up a car safely , if done according to manufacturers hand book .

Last edited:

trevskoda

Since the advent of crumple sones and safety cells sills are reinforced to stop the cabin from folding in under impact and allow doors to open after certain speed impacts , sill jacking points are fitted to a high strength part of the sill and can used for jacking up a car safely , if done according to manufacturers hand book .
I know all this, but not much use on a old car as I have seen many a jack fold them in, anyway the car goes up but the wheel don't, better to jack the wishbone.

mistericeman

I know all this, but not much use on a old car as I have seen many a jack fold them in, anyway the car goes up but the wheel don't, better to jack the wishbone.
I wouldn't use anything but the original manufacturers jack on the sill AND only then on a vehicle over 3 years old....

Much better as Trev says on a substantial suspension component.

SquirrellCook

I wouldn't use anything but the original manufacturers jack on the sill AND only then on a vehicle over 3 years old....

Much better as Trev says on a substantial suspension component.
Make sure it’s at the end of a suspension component or you may scrap the part.

molly 2

Hope you don't get a puncture in the first 3 years could be a long wait

Last edited:

molly 2

I have seen outer sills collapse on new cars due to owners not reading the hand book and missing the jacking point completely.and still blame the jack

Last edited:

trevskoda

Iv seen garages squash the sill flat at the bottom due to using a single pillar lift with swing out arms, don't like lifting on any part of a bit of folded tin at best.

Whiskey46

Free Member
Our MH came with the E&P levelling system fitted to it when we bought it second hand. It has been great when parking up to camp but also 3 days ago when we had a rear blow out whilst on the M6. I got the recovery guy out (eventually after 4 hours despite being a "priority") and used the levelling system to lift one side so the wheel could be changed.

The recovery guy was most impressed and also happy that he didn't have to mess around with jacks on the hard shoulder!
Lucky you had a hard shouler.... Don't start me off about " Smart"/Death "Motorways!!!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)