Trolley Jack.

PS they are heavy so not exactly portable but when it comes to crawling about under any vehicle safety is paramount, I do miss my old chain driven Laycock Coronation four post lift though!

On the subject of Jack stands I use these, marketed as “safety Jack stands” I’ve had them a few years now and they have been invaluable for working under the vans fitting water tanks etc. Each is rated at 5 ton and as can be seen in the second picture they have spring loaded locking pins which raises the vehicle up by another 6” or so
Brilliant 2nd picture!!!:)

My next job will be to make a set of long high rise ramps for the van.
Yep very useful to, I bought the above thingies after buying a BMW F11 and realising my Halford ramps were too steep and fouled the front bumper when it was time to change the oil etc.

They can take the weight of my Dually sprinter as well which was handy when I needed to overhaul my Telma Retarder and one useful feature, due to the flat base, is they are even ok on gravel .

Attachments

• DCBEEDD0-7814-463D-A896-8C8497F27413.png
    DCBEEDD0-7814-463D-A896-8C8497F27413.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
Jack stands not sure if they are new or not taken , from YouTube

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211004-130715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-130715_Gallery.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
My next job will be to make a set of long high rise ramps for the van.
You could do with a pair of those big ramps that the car sales places use.

Some thing I made for myself about 12 years ago was 5 foot wooden extensions for halfords style ramps, it made the slope up more shallow and gentle. :)

2T trolley jack fine for 3.5 T. Use on level surface. Take a 1ft by 3 ft section of high quality 15mm ply to put under jack to allow it to roll as you lift. Experiment on a solid level surface to see how far jack rolls to help with placement of ply in future. I could roll as much as 6 inches. If it doesn't roll as it lifts then this contributes very significantly to the instability mentioned in previous posts.

Jack stands not sure if they are new or not taken , from YouTube
Usless as the on the weal sills, always jack on a suspension part like the wishbone/chassis if possible, many a sill iv seen collapse under load.
car 1.jpg
axle in b.jpg
axle  1.jpg

I wouldn't jack up old scoda on the sills either ,truck looks good though,

Last edited:
Saw a chap jack a newish Fiat up on the sill for it to fold up inside, shitron and renault are well known for this too.

2T trolley jack fine for 3.5 T. Use on level surface. Take a 1ft by 3 ft section of high quality 15mm ply to put under jack to allow it to roll as you lift. Experiment on a solid level surface to see how far jack rolls to help with placement of ply in future. I could roll as much as 6 inches. If it doesn't roll as it lifts then this contributes very significantly to the instability mentioned in previous posts.
Already tried it today on my drive and yes used a piece of 25mm ply. Worked perfectly and as I previously mentioned will only use it when out and about on my travels if no phone signal to contact recovery company.

Never used my bottle jack in anger yet. I used the Fiat jack supplied to lift the mh enough to get the bottle jack onto something sturdy enough to lift it fully to what I wanted. Then retightened the Fiat jack to add another level of safety. Wouldn’t want to do that on the hard shoulder though.

Our new )to us) MH came with an E&P levelling system installed on it. It made a doddle of changing the wheel on the side of the motorway last week and again yesterday, when I swapped the wheels back over with the new tyre fitted.

Bit more expensive than a trolley/bottle jack solution though :D

I'm working towarfs getting a bottle jack that will go under outer ends of suspension arms.
That way only need to lift a few inches to get even a flat tyre off the ground.
Lifting the chassis requires far too much travel - particularly on an Alko chassis.
My first li e of attack will be the breakdown firm though!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back