Travel to the EU after January 1st

John, there has been a 48 hour total lockdown of all transport in and out of the UK via the Chunnel and by sea, ergo if anyone, French or otherwise, wants to travel to France at the moment it is impossible, unless they have wings.

No one is saying that the French won't be allowing their citizens back home if they are currently in the UK, it just happens to be physically impossible right at this moment.

Which is what I intimated in my earlier post about Ruth; she was very lucky to have crossed the channel a day or so earlier, ahead of all the current chaos and lockdown, on her way to their homestead in Portugal.

Simply a matter of timing and good luck! :)

I am sure we have all been delayed in our travels by a day or so. What I was questioning was the implication that people would not be able to get back to their homes. That was just scaremongering.

I am sure we have all been delayed in our travels by a day or so. What I was questioning was the implication that people would not be able to get back to their homes. That was just scaremongering.
The French banned all cross channel travel to all nationalities, no if's, no buts, nobody was allowed across for 2 days, even French citizens, they will now allow EU nationals and those with French residency across, but first they have to take a CV-19 test if they haven't had one in last 72 hours.

The French banned all cross channel travel to all nationalities, no if's, no buts, nobody was allowed across for 2 days, even French citizens, they will now allow EU nationals and those with French residency across, but first they have to take a CV-19 test if they haven't had one in last 72 hours.
That is hardly the same as saying that they wouldn't allow their own citizens to go home!

That is hardly the same as saying that they wouldn't allow their own citizens to go home!

This is not really an argument about whether or not citizens can return to their place of residency from overseas.

What most of us are trying to say here is that it's potentially going to be difficult in the short term for people (of whatever nationality!) to return home quickly and easily via the 'normal' routes due to the current (and constantly changing) situation.

This is not really an argument about whether or not citizens can return to their place of residency from overseas.

What most of us are trying to say here is that it's potentially going to be difficult in the short term for people (of whatever nationality!) to return home quickly and easily via the 'normal' routes due to the current (and constantly changing) situation.

I understand what most people are saying but more than one poster has tried to sensationalise the question. You mentioned the "little green monster in an earlier post" and I think you may be right. :)

The situation is so strange for everyone that, even after 9 months or more of things being anything but normal, it's still taking time for the implications of exactly what is unfolding here to sink in with everyone.

And of course the 'little green monster' is poking it's head up! Even more so than before due to all the restrictions on our lives right now.

My little green monster has been breathing (non-serious) fire at the likes of @Pauljenny @REC @kenspain etc. for ages, basking in their lovely sunshine, and that was long before C-19 arrived !!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;):):cool:

Let's face it the French weren't allowing anyone in for two days including their own citizens
They are now letting people in but even their own citizens have to have a covid19 test.

The situation is so strange for everyone that, even after 9 months or more of things being anything but normal, it's still taking time for the implications of exactly what is unfolding here to sink in with everyone.

And of course the 'little green monster' is poking it's head up! Even more so than before due to all the restrictions on our lives right now.

My little green monster has been breathing (non-serious) fire at the likes of @Pauljenny @REC @kenspain etc. for ages, basking in their lovely sunshine, and that was long before C-19 arrived !!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;):):cool:
Basking.. ?
Gerraway ..!
You can't see across the valley, this morning .
But we're very lucky to have this place available, when we suddenly had to give up out wandering life
Mustn't grumble.. At all.!

Basking.. ?
Gerraway ..!
You can't see across the valley, this morning .
But we're very lucky to have this place available, when we suddenly had to give up out wandering life
Mustn't grumble.. At all.!
Well I was going to boast about how the sun was shining here this morning, but now the clouds have rolled over. Still it was nice to see the light twinkling through the drops of water on the plants.

EHIC to be replaced by something else - but it looks to me as though we will continut to have reciprocal health services.

2020-12-25_211002.png

and also in a BBC New release.

2020-12-25_211754.png

From BBC
The rules for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania are different. You could make a 90-day trip to any of them and still not use up your 90-day allowance for other EU countries. (And of course Turkey and Morocco as they are non EU)
Croatia probably the most useful as a 90 day tour would be extended by whatever time you spend in Croatia
Romania / Bulgaria to boot !
Not sure about say Albania and Kosovo ?

Last edited:
Albania is definitely not in the schengen area, it is not I think in the Eu. Either way it will not count towards your 90 days. It is the warmest place to winter in the Balkans, though no way as warm as Southern Spain. It would be possible to concoct a long Spring in Uk, summer in the Alps, Autumn in Albania, where the light would be good , but it would become chilly at times, short Winter in Spain, back to UK circuit.
I have never been to Albania, or the Balkans other than cycling in Croatia.

Have to say if thinking of romania or bulgaria prices are very low to reflect pay - and also a lot of gypsies live there - if you leave anything outside it will almost certainly disappear - lovelly countries in the summer though

Agreed In no way perfect although I would have left well over a month ago, in my theoretical tour and would be in Spain for my just less than 90 days. Do you have a better alternative without residency or visa?
I suppose I know the alternative. Morocco, but my wife, with 3 visits experience does not want to go there. From the hassle of women point of view the devil you dont know is just -unknown-.

Is turkey an option for some might be warmer and it is by land rather than a ferry

What I'm not sure of with the 90 day limit and driving is does our 90 start when we enter France and end when we exit France If so How could say staying for a few extra days in say Morocco during our trip work if our visit is timed at france \ uk border ?

The 90 days is from entry to the schengen area to exit, a few days in Morocco just gives the same few days spare. Because 90 in any 180 days

Agreed In no way perfect although I would have left well over a month ago, in my theoretical tour and would be in Spain for my just less than 90 days. Do you have a better alternative without residency or visa?
I suppose I know the alternative. Morocco, but my wife, with 3 visits experience does not want to go there. From the hassle of women point of view the devil you dont know is just -unknown-.
No, I can't see an alternative but I did think it was an interesting idea so gad a quick look. For us with no viable alternative we have gone for Spanish residency.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back