Travel to the EU after January 1st

The Dutch have banned passenger flights from the UK for 10 days due to the new variant. They may not be the last.
Note 10 days takes us to December 30th?

CAB Spain (citizensadvice.org.es) This is not good news for anybody thinking of travelling here after January 1st. It has seemed likely for a while that travel would be banned under Corona Virus regulations but I have not seen it officially confirmed until now. So if you want to spend winter in the sun, get here before New Year.

Well, things are definitely changing on a daily basis - my original post of yesterday is now irrelevant since most of the EU has decided to stop Brits entering now! Commiserations to anybody who was planning to join us out here in the sun and merry Xmas to all.

That is what they've been "saying" for several weeks now.
The 8 or so countries that are on the admissions list all had much much lower I faction rates before ours went up.
I have been recommending travel sooner rather than later if that was what you were thinking about for a good while now.

That is what they've been "saying" for several weeks now.
The 8 or so countries that are on the admissions list all had much much lower I faction rates before ours went up.
I have been recommending travel sooner rather than later if that was what you were thinking about for a good while now.

As long as we are in the Single Market (ie until Dec 31st) freedom of movement should have been secured but I guess they are now saying that they don't care about that anymore. Don't blame them :)

As long as we are in the Single Market (ie until Dec 31st) freedom of movement should have been secured but I guess they are now saying that they don't care about that anymore. Don't blame them :)
Freedom of movement can, and has been, suspended for various reasons, CV-19 is one of those reasons.

Freedom of movement can, and has been, suspended for various reasons, CV-19 is one of those reasons.

True, but they always try to resist it as much as possible and the Spanish/French border has remained open throughout. Clearly they no longer see the need to try with the UK.

Portugal is shutting up shop, from midnight tonight.
After only a few planes using Faro, lately, there's been a rush, this afternoon . We're 25 miles from the airport.
I bet they aren't getting cheap, " Come-on, "offers today though.
I haven't used my flight tracker app, recently.
I'll probably uninstall it, now.l

Portugal is shutting up shop, from midnight tonight.
After only a few planes using Faro, lately, there's been a rush, this afternoon . We're 25 miles from the airport.
I bet they aren't getting cheap, " Come-on, "offers today though.
I haven't used my flight tracker app, recently.
I'll probably uninstall it, now.l
Will Ruth get through?

Silly question
Considering gov advise about not travelling and people just going - when it comes time to return how confident are you that countries will open borders for you if this gets a lot worse which in all likelihood probably will do

And needing an MOT would be even more problems

No-one knows so i am just curious

Silly question
Considering gov advise about not travelling and people just going - when it comes time to return how confident are you that countries will open borders for you if this gets a lot worse which in all likelihood probably will do

I think it's going to be a case of wait and see what transpires.

There are so many uncertainties on every front right now.
Personally, if I was in Ruth's position I'd be making tracks to my Portugues place of residence too - in fact I would have already been there ages ago, but I understand Ruth has had family stuff to sort out here.

I think it takes a certain type of risk-taker to head off to Europe (or anywhere else abroad for that matter) just now with everything that's happening, but some people are fine with that and I say go for it if that's what you want to do. Yo just have to be prepared to deal with how you get back into the country if or when the time comes.

@Pauljenny, @REC and @kenspain etc. have places to live in Europe (Spain and Portugal in this instance) and residential status.
Some other members (who don't post on the forum) may also have properties on the continent and be in the same boat.

I am very envious! A choice between a cold and miserable time in locked down Britain and the warm climes of France or southern Europe?
100% no brainer! (y);)

Silly question

Nothing is certain but all regulations in all countries during this pandemic have allowed people to return to their main residence, so getting home shouldn't be a problem - unless the ferries stop running, of course! :)

PS our motorhome was new this year, so the crisis should be over by the time we need to worry about an MoT!

If they have not already left UK they won't be allowed out, even EU citizens are not allowed out at moment. Hopefully something will be sorted today, esp. as newCV-19 seems to be widespread across the world.

It appears France is not even allowing it's own citizens to cross the channel.

Portugal and Spain are allowing flights and ferries with -ve covid test. Portugal only their own residents. Hopefully, the tunnel situation will be resolved soon. I fear it is the lorry drivers who cross regularly who are a major vector, having personally seen the lack of distancing and no enforcement of covid rules in the folkestone service area.

If they have not already left UK they won't be allowed out, even EU citizens are not allowed out at moment. Hopefully something will be sorted today, esp. as newCV-19 seems to be widespread across the world.

It appears France is not even allowing it's own citizens to cross the channel.

The question was about UK citizens already abroad returning home.

Can you provide a link for your second statement? I have not heard anything to support it and the latest advice on the french Government website is that foreign nationals are allowed to return. Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr)

Think that actually means ferry ports and tunnel shut at moment just some freight getting through

Some friends of ours were in Spain last spring/summer and had five ferries home cancelled. They eventually contacted the British Consulate and were transported back home as freight on the same ferry that they would have travelled as passengers! I have never heard of any country refusing to allow its own citizens home.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back