Travel to the EU after January 1st

My friend that is staying on our land in Portugal has been advice by the Police to stay where he is and not to try and travel and they are happy with that . :LOL:
We are quite happy to stay here in rural Almeria for as long as they let us, Ken. Infection rates are low and everybody is obeying the rules :)

Some friends of ours were in Spain last spring/summer and had five ferries home cancelled. They eventually contacted the British Consulate and were transported back home as freight on the same ferry that they would have travelled as passengers! I have never heard of any country refusing to allow its own citizens home.
I'm looking differently to some but if you have travelled against government advise why should they have any responsibility in getting you home again - and if you do something that could have repercussions you accept the risk and you pay the consequences - but that is how i was brought up self inflicted problem is down to you

More to the point anyone that is there i hope they dont have any problems

I'm looking differently to some but if you have travelled against government advise why should they have any responsibility in getting you home again - and if you do something that could have repercussions you accept the risk and you pay the consequences - but that is how i was brought up self inflicted problem is down to you

More to the point anyone that is there i hope they dont have any problems
I take your point but it was advice and not mandatory. Personally, as I said to Ken, I am happy to stay here as long as they let me but if and when I do decide to come home I cannot imagine there being any barriers to me doing so. It may take a bit more effort than usual but it will be possible.

Reactions: mfw
The question was about UK citizens already abroad returning home.

Can you provide a link for your second statement? I have not heard anything to support it and the latest advice on the french Government website is that foreign nationals are allowed to return. Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr)
My post was about 'Ruth' who from Maries post appears to be in UK, if so they aren't allowed out across the channel, this applies to everyone one at moment no matter what their nationality or place of residence, French citizens are sleeping in commercial vans in Dover at the moment as the hotels can't take them.

My post was about 'Ruth' who from Maries post appears to be in UK, if so they aren't allowed out across the channel, this applies to everyone one at moment no matter what their nationality or place of residence, French citizens are sleeping in commercial vans in Dover at the moment as the hotels can't take them.

If you look at Ruth's thread you will see that she is currently in Spain, on her way home to Portugal, having crossed the Channel before Macron halted traffic. It was your reference to France not allowing its own citizens home that I questioned. If any French citizen needed to return home immediately, I am sure that they would be able to do so in the same way as our friends did earlier this year. As I said earlier, I am not aware of any country refusing to allow its own citizens home.

Reactions: REC
The French government have banned all cross channel including their own citizens, they are advising their own citizens to take a CV-19 test in preparation for resumption of travel when it is agreed.

The French government have banned all cross channel including their own citizens, they are advising their own citizens to take a CV-19 test in preparation for resumption of travel when it is agreed.
As I asked before, could you provide a link for that? The latest information on the French Government website, that I provided a link to, says something different.

As I asked before, could you provide a link for that? The latest information on the French Government website, that I provided a link to, says something different.

Health Minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbari said on Monday that meetings were underway for the secure reopening of the border with the UK, which was closed temporarily during the weekend.

"In the coming hours, at a European level, we will be putting in place a solid health protocol so that flows from the United Kingdom can resume. Our priority: protect our nationals and fellow citizens,’’ Djebbari tweeted.

In an interview with BFMTV, Djebbari also said French citizens currently stuck in the UK wanting to return home can conduct PCR tests. ``Travelers who are currently in the UK or those who are involved in freight transport can find the right centers, carry out the right test and quickly get into the capacity to come back to France.”

They are not currently allowed to travel, BBC have interviewed several who are stuck here, I don't know what the French are telling their citizens in France, but they are only allowing unaccompanied containers on the boats, no trucks or passengers of any nationality. The test is so they can travel when allowed in future.

Last edited:
They are not currently allowed to travel, BBC have interviewed several who are stuck here, I don't know what the French are telling their citizens in France, but they are only allowing unaccompanied containers on the boats, no trucks or passengers of any nationality. The test is so they can travel when allowed in future.

My reading of that is very different to yours. The French Government appears to be advising their citizens in the UK to get tested so that they can quickly return to France. that is far from not allowing them to return! If a French citizen who needed to return urgently had a test today you can bet your life that they would be allowed to travel. It is unheard of for a country to refuse to allow its citizens to come home.

My reading of that is very different to yours. The French Government appears to be advising their citizens in the UK to get tested so that they can quickly return to France. that is far from not allowing them to return! If a French citizen who needed to return urgently had a test today you can bet your life that they would be allowed to travel. It is unheard of for a country to refuse to allow its citizens to come home.
Jean Castex on Twitter: "Compte tenu du risque sanitaire nouveau, et dans l'attente de son évaluation, l'ensemble des flux de personnes du Royaume-Uni vers la France sont suspendus à partir de ce soir minuit, pour 48 heures, et pour tous les moyens de transport. https://t.co/nvIfb41Ila" / Twitter

There you go, a complete ban on travel.

Chill, folks! As none of us are French wanting to get home,....the next lot of announced events will, I am sure, (!) clarify the rules. But the French citizens will not take not being allowed home easily, so I feel there will be new plans. My understanding is that 48 hrs is to give time to formulate something!
@colinmd I can assure you we are not wandering round the EU spreading the virus irresponsibly...we made careful plans to return to our residence and have no contact with anybody in the journey. Easy to give opinions without knowing the circumstances?

John, there has been a 48 hour total lockdown of all transport in and out of the UK via the Chunnel and by sea, ergo if anyone, French or otherwise, wants to travel to France at the moment it is impossible, unless they have wings.

No one is saying that the French won't be allowing their citizens back home if they are currently in the UK, it just happens to be physically impossible right at this moment.

Which is what I intimated in my earlier post about Ruth; she was very lucky to have crossed the channel a day or so earlier, ahead of all the current chaos and lockdown, on her way to their homestead in Portugal.

Simply a matter of timing and good luck! :)

John, there has been a 48 hour total lockdown of all transport in and out of the UK via the Chunnel and by sea, ergo if anyone, French or otherwise, wants to travel to France at the moment it is impossible, unless they have wings.
There is nothing stopping stuff coming in, trouble is few EU drivers want to be stuck in UK.

@colinmd I can assure you we are not wandering round the EU spreading the virus irresponsibly...we made careful plans to return to our residence and have no contact with anybody in the journey. Easy to give opinions without knowing the circumstances?
Never said you were.

Chill, folks! As none of us are French wanting to get home,....the next lot of announced events will, I am sure, (!) clarify the rules. But the French citizens will not take not being allowed home easily, so I feel there will be new plans. My understanding is that 48 hrs is to give time to formulate something!
They could always get some rubber dinghies and try their luck 😀😀

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back