Too much solar?

It's got a built in BMS Barry but I think you would need an appropriate MPPT, maybe a Victron?

Somebody clevererer than me will come along before too long (if such a person exists) :giggle:

I presume rightly or wrongly the new van has one also. All I was thinking was if its just a case of swapping batteries and fitting a Victron MPPT even I can do that. £600 or thereabouts.

Pandas and Zebras Merl but not much else!

To be honest anything but basic electrics is beyond me and I usually get help for electrical installations. I do see your point though (and Jeff's) so maybe 3 x 100.

Much appreciated.
If you're never going to push the BMS with high inverter loads AND the Eco worthy fits nicely AND saving a few quid AND the ease of hooking everything up appeals then the Eco worthy's plusses could outweigh the slight increase in theoretical reliability and convenience should a fault occur.
When it comes to predicting reliability of electronic components it's almost a coin toss, stress (heat) will shorten life of any component but some components are unpredictably (for the likes of you and I) less resilient than others so nothing is a given. I myself typically end up going the cheap route mainly because when stuff fails I can repair it but I'm fortunate in that sense and I don't mind using cheap chargers, inverters, etc rather than forking out for Victron etc al.
I guess if the Eco doesn't fit and 3 singles do then that'll be the clincher anyways👍

If you're never going to push the BMS with high inverter loads AND the Eco worthy fits nicely AND saving a few quid AND the ease of hooking everything up appeals then the Eco worthy's plusses could outweigh the slight increase in theoretical reliability and convenience should a fault occur.
When it comes to predicting reliability of electronic components it's almost a coin toss, stress (heat) will shorten life of any component but some components are unpredictably (for the likes of you and I) less resilient than others so nothing is a given. I myself typically end up going the cheap route mainly because when stuff fails I can repair it but I'm fortunate in that sense and I don't mind using cheap chargers, inverters, etc rather than forking out for Victron etc al.
I guess if the Eco doesn't fit and 3 singles do then that'll be the clincher anyways👍

Thanks Merl. I have no plans for an inverter but I suppose the biggest draw will be the compressor fridge? Other than that lighting, heating (gas but with a fan) and a TV. As you say though, what fits is the clincher.

Victron controller on phone we are making history. Harvesting data. And

Screenshot_20240625_011527.jpg
81 kwh

Everything is half price now. Lol

should I download new settings ....

Screenshot_20240625_011540.jpg

If I just bought one of those and replaced my 110ah lead acid battery with it (Assuming it fits in the battery locker) without replacing anything else on the van what would be the result?
The internet says that you're risking damage to components and wiring in the charge circuit between alternator and hab battery. In the past I thought the same and would have agreed but having spent some time doing the maths I think the opposite will actually happen and charging while driving will typically be slow to very slow. Actual real life users show the latter happens, So if you fancy being the WC Guinea Pig ...,.
WRT charging from EHU and solar, Ideally you need different settings for lithium so that will depend on exactly what functionality/ adjustability that the charging system in the MH has. Some are adjustable to accommodate lithium, some would be suitable as is at a pinch.
Wasn't your control system mentioned in a previous post somewhere?

The internet says that you're risking damage to components and wiring in the charge circuit between alternator and hab battery. In the past I thought the same and would have agreed but having spent some time doing the maths I think the opposite will actually happen and charging while driving will typically be slow to very slow. Actual real life users show the latter happens, So if you fancy being the WC Guinea Pig ...,.
WRT charging from EHU and solar, Ideally you need different settings for lithium so that will depend on exactly what functionality/ adjustability that the charging system in the MH has. Some are adjustable to accommodate lithium, some would be suitable as is at a pinch.
Wasn't your control system mentioned in a previous post somewhere?

Yeah thats what I thought someone might say. Do you mean my solar control unit?

Yeah thats what I thought someone might say. Do you mean my solar control unit?
Both your solar controller (which I think you said you'd swap over from Hank? This needs a Lithium setting or parameters that are adjustable by the user.
Same thing ideally WRT the mains (EHU) charger in your MH electrical system, I think a Sargent unit was mentioned before? If this hasn't got a lithium setting you can muscle through by using the gel setting, you really ought to switch it off when the batteries are 100% charged and of course then switch back on to recharge. Obvs open to error and a faff but technically possible.

Both your solar controller (which I think you said you'd swap over from Hank? This needs a Lithium setting or parameters that are adjustable by the user.
Same thing ideally WRT the mains (EHU) charger in your MH electrical system, I think a Sargent unit was mentioned before? If this hasn't got a lithium setting you can muscle through by using the gel setting, you really ought to switch it off when the batteries are 100% charged and of course then switch back on to recharge. Obvs open to error and a faff but technically possible.

I never got the chance to swap the controller out of Hank or the AGM battery. It sold in less than 24 hours and it was mayhem here. I decided against it. That controller was 10 years old anyway. To be honest I am not fussed about having Lithium. I just need enough power to keep us static in the summer. Lithium seems the best but it also seem fraught with complications. I might find what we have is enough.

Back