Too much solar?

Do you use any mechanical fixings as well Bill?

I'm tempted to put one bolt for each panel as a sort of 'dead man's handle' but not sure if it's necessary.
No, I bolted the panels onto the brackets and used Sikaflex.

I was not into drilling holes all over the roof of a brand new van Rob.
But the biggest problem would be trying to get them off if I had to now.
My dealers don't use mechanical fixings either Rob, they use sikaflex 544.
I don't know if I would trust the small corner brackets though Rob,I used screws on them on my last van.

Do you use any mechanical fixings as well Bill?

I'm tempted to put one bolt for each panel as a sort of 'dead man's handle' but not sure if it's necessary.
I'd always use mechanical fixings too ...

I've seen several flexible/semi flexible panels and a couple of full framed ones too at the side of the motorways over the years ....

Yes sikaflex etc is good ...BUT the thought of paint giving way (and there's plenty of boxer/relay/ducatos out there where the paint has left the room in places)

Just wouldn't let me use just sikaflex etc ...

Some people swear it's fine ....some people swear it's not ,
So really a personal choice .

I'd always use mechanical fixings too ...

I've seen several flexible/semi flexible panels and a couple of full framed ones too at the side of the motorways over the years ....

Yes sikaflex etc is good ...BUT the thought of paint giving way (and there's plenty of boxer/relay/ducatos out there where the paint has left the room in places)

Just wouldn't let me use just sikaflex etc ...

Some people swear it's fine ....some people swear it's not ,
So really a personal choice .
My roller team and my Chausson both came with no mechanical fixings, but brackets with large surface areas. If I attempted to simply yank these things of my roof I would both destroy them, and severely damage my roof. As I said if I was using corner brackets I would use mechanical fixings, but not with the 50mm angle aluminium I used.

My only issue with this method is if I had to remove a faulty panel.

I am up on my roof every month or so, and I give them a wee tug.
If I had used the supplied brackets I would have had to drill eight holes for each panel. Thats 32 holes, no way.

Last edited:
My roller team and my Chausson both came with no mechanical fixings, but brackets with large surface areas. If I attempted to simply yank these things of my roof I would both destroy them, and severely damage my roof. As I said if I was using corner brackets I would use mechanical fixings, but not with the 50mm angle aluminium I used.
I'm not doubting the strength of the sikaflex etc if it's applied correctly to manufacturers instructions ...

However as I stated the paint on the ducato/boxer/relay is well known for not adhering well to the phosphated body shell ....
And I've seen too many panels at the side of motorways for me personally to trust a bonding on its own ....

I understand you think differently hence my inclusion of "personal choice" in my original comment .

I understand you think differently hence my inclusion of "personal choice" in my original comment .
Absolutely, but there was no way I was drilling 32 holes into the roof of a brand new van, I reckon that would have increased the chances of water ingress, or given a dealer an excuse to blame my work for causing an issue.
I will keep my eye on them, cheers for your advice.

My only issue with this method is if I had to remove a faulty panel.

I am up on my roof every month or so, and I give them a wee tug.
If I had used the supplied brackets I would have had to drill eight holes for each panel. Thats 32 holes, no way.

My only fear Bill is that the Sikaflex may deteriorate as it gets older? (bit like me really).

My roof isn't painted (some sort of plastic composite) so that's not a problem.

My only fear Bill is that the Sikaflex may deteriorate as it gets older? (bit like me really).

My roof isn't painted (some sort of plastic composite) so that's not a problem.
Hence why you use 544 it’s guaranteed not to Rob.
But I used two tubes at £28 a tube, much more expensive than normal sikaflex.
I doubt if dealerships, manufacturers, and converters are using it there are issues.
But as mistericeman rightly says it’s down to personal choice.
If my van was older I may well have used mechanical fittings.

I also prepared the surface with isopropyl alcohol, you know the stuff you drink at the end of the month :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0002.jpeg

Hence why you use 544 it’s guaranteed not to Rob.
But I used two tubes at £28 a tube, much more expensive than normal sikaflex.
I doubt if dealerships, manufacturers, and converters are using it there are issues.
But as mistericeman rightly says it’s down to personal choice.
If my van was older I may well have used mechanical fittings.

I also prepared the surface with isopropyl alcohol, you know the stuff you drink at the end of the month :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 132495

Yes my present panel is fixed with Sikaflex only Bill. Mind you it's flexible so far more surface area to play with. I probably will go with 544 only.

Mind you, the old one's gonna be a dog to get off! Cheese wire job I reckon.

If I was doing a van now I would be after filling every inch of the roof with solar panels. Check out builders merchants as a few will be selling 400W+ panels for around the £80 mark.

Roof rack is ideal for fixing panels to and makes it easier to change at a later date, (if you want to make some tilt-able). If no roof rack I would be using just Sikaflex to bond brackets to the roof then bolt through bracket to panels. I would be cleaning and abrading the paint before using the primer then the Sikaflex though. If just adhesive worries you bolt them on, your choice and peace of mind is main thing but done properly neither is better than the other in my opinion, (other opinions are available :) ).

Yes my present panel is fixed with Sikaflex only Bill. Mind you it's flexible so far more surface area to play with. I probably will go with 544 only.

I like Sikaflex and used it on my panels on the roof over ten years ago,they wont fall off I would stake my life on it and everyone elses in my rear view mirror,just kidding.An easy way to remove sika Rob is a sharp wallpaper scraper,it literally slices through it like butter.

If I was doing a van now I would be after filling every inch of the roof with solar panels. Check out builders merchants as a few will be selling 400W+ panels for around the £80 mark.

Roof rack is ideal for fixing panels to and makes it easier to change at a later date, (if you want to make some tilt-able). If no roof rack I would be using just Sikaflex to bond brackets to the roof then bolt through bracket to panels. I would be cleaning and abrading the paint before using the primer then the Sikaflex though. If just adhesive worries you bolt them on, your choice and peace of mind is main thing but done properly neither is better than the other in my opinion, (other opinions are available :) ).
With Sikaflex 554 no primer is required. But they do recommend cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol. It’s the same stuff that’s used to clean your specs with, so it won’t go to waste. Another good thing about 554 is it can be used at low temperature. I did my first two larger panels in January when it was only 8C. It can be used at temperatures down to 5C.

Sorry Rob I meant 554 not 544.

Ecoworthy are selling a 100 amp lithium for £210 on ebay and that will come very close to what your two 110 lead acid will give you.The offer ends today but im sure they will repeat it.

I was just looking at these again Martin.

Weight 9.7kg - would they really be that light? I might have 3 if they are!

FWIW I've recently fitted 3 x 80W panels, I'd fitted the previous Flexi panels with a bead of Sika EBT from Screwfix, they'd been there for 5 years and we're a swine to get off so I had no doubts about using the same adhesive again. I used a similar method to Bill but actually used a smaller bracket.
1000003128.jpg
1000003127.jpg

Standing on the roof and pulling as hard as I can on a corner and it's obvious the panel ain't shifting, in fact I can see the roof distorting. I have no doubt in my mind that further screws aren't needed and they'll be a right sod to remove if and when that time comes. All degreased with acetone first and the shine removed from the paint with a light rub with some fine emery paper.
Here's the panels, the guy accepts £30 each BTW😉.

So I paid £90 for 240W.

It won't be too much. Your regulator will deal with overcapacity. And you'll need all you can get when the sun isn't shining much.

jeff & i have just fitted 2 x 100w renogy panels at the meet in goosnargh not wired up yet so can’t tell harvest rate but that makes 670w feeding a 460 fogstar drift the plastic corner bays were bonded & drilled & bolted on the floor offered up & marked then sandpapered the roof to get a key sealant applied and lowered into position , same system used for the big one 370 up front still there after 4 years not much room for more up there lol
IMG_2330.jpeg

Perfect for my battery space to get 3 in Martin. Thanks for the tip.
I've just received one of these Rob.
12v 100ah Lifepo4 battery with Grade A cells and perfect BMS deep cycle times up to 10000 for trolling motor RV camping solar system Golf Cart home appliances support series and parallel connection

https://amzn.eu/d/0gAPm33Y

It looks a little Mickey mouse but the case isn't important it's what's inside that matters and there's a teardown and test on you YT and it appears to be a bargain. I'm actually in the process of testing it out for capacity etc, if it's not up to spec I'll return it and if its ok I'll be getting another.

I've just received one of these Rob.
12v 100ah Lifepo4 battery with Grade A cells and perfect BMS deep cycle times up to 10000 for trolling motor RV camping solar system Golf Cart home appliances support series and parallel connection

https://amzn.eu/d/0gAPm33Y

It looks a little Mickey mouse but the case isn't important it's what's inside that matters and there's a teardown and test on you YT and it appears to be a bargain. I'm actually in the process of testing it out for capacity etc, if it's not up to spec I'll return it and if its ok I'll be getting another.

Amazing price Merl!

Keep me posted please.

Back