Tom Tom Camper Max not very good ?

Thanks for the advice, Yeah its good to change for 30 days , the downsize is I purchased with Voucher in order to get 10 % off because im tight :) so I will have no see if I can get cash back as it will take me years to spend £300 in Halfords (y)
It's dead easy to spend £300.00 in Halfords, buy a Garmin and then you can use custom POI's 😂

On a serious note in 2016 I purchased a Tom Tom satnav for my motorbike when we toured Europe and it had a similar problem, your could only upload your own planned routes using a SD card and once uploaded it promptly changed it anyway so you missed half your stops :mad: When I contacted their support they told me it was best to use postcodes! After many calls and waiting for them to call me back I eventually emailed the CEO and within half an hour I got a phone call offering me my money back and I went out and bought a Garmin. I believe they eventually sorted it out with a software update but it was too late and after using Garmin's support the difference is night day so I'll never go back(y)

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
What happened at TomTom HQ, it used to be a brilliant bit of kit, then they fucked with it and killed it basically, not a great fan of Garmin either, Apps are the best by far, much cheaper as you have already got the device, most do not require you to have the latest phone either, you can have them all in one place and update them as & when you like and none of this lifetime warranty crap.

What happened at TomTom HQ, it used to be a brilliant bit of kit, then they fucked with it and killed it basically, not a great fan of Garmin either, Apps are the best by far, much cheaper as you have already got the device, most do not require you to have the latest phone either, you can have them all in one place and update them as & when you like and none of this lifetime warranty crap.
Spot on Kev, I use Apple CarPlay with TomTom Go, and for just £20 a year I have access to worldwide maps, it’s consistently being updated, and is simple to use.

You must have liked it then.

I just looked for it but can't find the post or I'd give it a go in the next two weeks in Scotland.
Kev its the best sat nav I have used to date in my honest opinion.
Once you set up your account anything I put on my phone goes on to my iPad.
But were all different Kev, with different preferences.

this was the post, but the link doesn't help.

It's dead easy to spend £300.00 in Halfords, buy a Garmin and then you can use custom POI's 😂

On a serious note in 2016 I purchased a Tom Tom satnav for my motorbike when we toured Europe and it had a similar problem, your could only upload your own planned routes using a SD card and once uploaded it promptly changed it anyway so you missed half your stops :mad: When I contacted their support they told me it was best to use postcodes! After many calls and waiting for them to call me back I eventually emailed the CEO and within half an hour I got a phone call offering me my money back and I went out and bought a Garmin. I believe they eventually sorted it out with a software update but it was too late and after using Garmin's support the difference is night day so I'll never go back(y)

Regards,
Del
Cheers Del,

I do have a Garmin for the hills and its ok, not quite as good as my old Satmap for clarity reading the screen put packed full of features . We intend not being at home much so don't really want the Halfords vouchers for anything, Any purchase will just end up in the Garage of the Motorhome going for a ride :) . cheers for sharing your experience, its one with considering.

Regards

Cheers for the reply , I agree Apps are better and you're right , we have the device so its a shame they don't just produce a good App for motorhomes. I believe there is a Tom Tom Ap that you can put hight and weight into but I like the idea of scenic routes act not LGV routes . A few times in France in June, I ended up on roads that were max of 3.5 ton and I wanted to avoid that.

Cheers for the reply , I agree Apps are better and you're right , we have the device so its a shame they don't just produce a good App for motorhomes. I believe there is a Tom Tom Ap that you can put hight and weight into but I like the idea of scenic routes act not LGV routes . A few times in France in June, I ended up on roads that were max of 3.5 ton and I wanted to avoid that.
Try the CoPilot app. There is a small subscription for the motorhome/caravan version that enables you to input height, weight, etc. Obviously, the routeing (and CoPilot provides a choice of criteria) is only as good as the mapping data, but if a road has a signposted weight limit, it should be incorporated in the data (unless very recent) and taken into account. Same for height. Width is basically the same: don't expect a road to be avoided unless it has a signposted width limit with which your input criteria do not comply. My Garmin once tried to take me up a goat track in département 63, but I put that down to incorrect designation by the mapping company/authorities rather than an issue with Garmin's routeing.

Try the CoPilot app. There is a small subscription for the motorhome/caravan version that enables you to input height, weight, etc. Obviously, the routeing (and CoPilot provides a choice of criteria) is only as good as the mapping data, but if a road has a signposted weight limit, it should be incorporated in the data (unless very recent) and taken into account. Same for height. Width is basically the same: don't expect a road to be avoided unless it has a signposted width limit with which your input criteria do not comply. My Garmin once tried to take me up a goat track in département 63, but I put that down to incorrect designation by the mapping company/authorities rather than an issue with Garmin's routeing.
Thanks TJBI, The LGV drivers use them at work and I actually have a licence until I finish but unfortunately it didn't extend to personal use despite trying to blag it from our route planning department :) . They have truck attributes and so far not heard too much bad about them. Cheers ill give it some consideration (y)

Last edited:
Where can I find this moho update Tom, it's just updating maps so I can't look yet.

Where can I find this moho update Tom, it's just updating maps so I can't look yet.
Play Store has an app called "CoPilot GPS Sat-Nav & Traffic"

If you have a different CoPilot app, you probably need to get this one. Latest version is 10.28.2.155 updated on 19/06/2024.
If you already have this version of the app, try looking in the menu and then Store (bottom right). to see whether it offers the option of purchasing 1 Year of Caravan Navigation & Traffic. (I already have it, but can't recall how I first accessed it.) If not there, try Settings > Vehicle Routing Profiles > Caravan and take it from there.

Once you do get it set up, it's worth setting up custom profiles for both car and moho. For the moho, you can set a governor speed for ETAs if you have a policy of never exceeding a particular speed (perhaps for reasons of fuel economy). If your routeing is set to Fastest, the governor speed setting can help avoid being taken far greater distances due to the algorithm assuming that you will drive at 130km/h (and save 1 second by driving a lot further to use motorways) when in fact you have no intention of exceeding 90km/h.

Thanks Tom I'll look into it later on today, I'm just sorting stuff out to take on this mini jaunt and my brain is fried/frayed, it's 17.5c outside but over 30c inside so I've given up for now, we were going to get off tomorrow but it maybe Monday now.

this was the post, but the link doesn't help.

I posted it Kev, the code was summerof2024 but it expired on Aug15th so you are too late, you can get a 7 day trial though

Back