Tom Tom Camper Max not very good ?

james1508

Hello All,

Just purchased a Tom Tom Camper Max premium pack on offer at Halfords for £299. The reason for going for this was that various and quite popular Youtubers that use this site promoted its capabilities of download Wildcamping.co.uk Tom Tom POI. After no success and Emailing Tom Tom over the past few days it seems that its a Wii only unit and you cant download Third Party POI into the unit, This includes using the Plan Tom Tom browser software. You can download preplanned routes from Plan Tom Tom so it is communicating with my unit.

Before i return the unit to Halfords for a refund, has anyone been successful in installing TP POI on a Camper Max ?

Or anyone had any look with other new Tom Tom devises or Iphone Apps that are capable of installing POI's from external sources and entering camper dimensions ?

Cheers

James

Hello All,

Just purchased a Tom Tom Camper Max premium pack on offer at Halfords for £299. The reason for going for this was that various and quite popular Youtubers that use this site promoted its capabilities of download Wildcamping.co.uk Tom Tom POI. After no success and Emailing Tom Tom over the past few days it seems that its a Wii only unit and you cant download Third Party POI into the unit, This includes using the Plan Tom Tom browser software. You can download preplanned routes from Plan Tom Tom so it is communicating with my unit.

Before i return the unit to Halfords for a refund, has anyone been successful in installing TP POI on a Camper Max ?

Or anyone had any look with other new Tom Tom devises or Iphone Apps that are capable of installing POI's from external sources and entering camper dimensions ?

Cheers

James
TomTom devices have not been capable of installing third party POIs for many years. It's not going to happen. If that's a fundamental requirement I'd take it back and hope you can get a refund.

I can't advise on iOS apps I'm afraid. I use Android devices. For my satnav needs I use CoPilot (Caravan version).

TomTom devices have not been capable of installing third party POIs for many years. It's not going to happen. If that's a fundamental requirement I'd take it back and hope you can get a refund.

I can't advise on iOS apps I'm afraid. I use Android devices. For my satnav needs I use CoPilot (Caravan version).
Thanks Chris, cheers for your reply.

Its a shame, I do still have an old iPhone 6 with Tom Tom Western Europe on that I sometimes use with the POI which is really handy but later iPhones won't updates or install it fully and Tom Tom withdrew their support for that version some time ago. Now I have a bigger motorhome, I could do with the size option too. I was quite surprised when the claims were made by You tubers that it was possible to now download them again.

Regards

I have a Tom Tom Camper which I find very good to use. If I am looking for a Wildcamping poi I use my phone app so I can do streetview and read any comments about the site. If I am happy with it I then plot it into my satnav. More work involved but at least I have checked out the poi before arriving there rather than just turn up and find it unsuitable

I have the TomTom 5200. They are available at £200 ish. I have downloaded poi. Its wifi or usb uploadable for updates and poi from TomTom my drive. You can set the size of your camper into it as well. I also have low bridges poi installed as I carry kayaks on the roof too.
OR maybe get the .ov2 file and upload through my drive e.g.
You can import POIs to a TomTom device using MyDrive:

1. Open MyDrive

2. Click on the My Places menu

3. Click on POI files

4. Click Import POI file

5. Click Select File to browse your computer for the file you want to upload

6. If your device is connected to your computer with a USB cable, the .OV2 file will be synced right away. If not, syncing will happen the next time you switch on your device and log in to your TomTom-account.
  7. 🤞

I have a TomTom Truck6000 which accepts third party POI's but when this model was first sold you couldn't add POI's to it, eventually they included the ability to add them in a software update, I read somewhere that they have no plans to add the same update to the latest WiFi only models, I wouldn't let that stop me enjoying what otherwise is an excellent satnav, it is easy enough to type an address or coordinates in, I can talk to mine and say find Tesco (other supermarkets are available) and it lists them in order of distance

If it isn't fit for the purpose you bought it for, it is unmarked, you still have original packaging & receipt take it back they won't give you a hard time at Halfrauds.

Quite frankly I don’t trust any satnav when it comes to the size of the vehicle.
I had in my last van, and I regularly had to overrule it.
On one occasion I was directed on to a road that went under a canal, just about large enough for an average car. I had to reverse back about 400 yards back onto the main road, I was fortunate that no one was behind me. There were other examples I could give were it let me down.
I currently use TomTom go through Apple play on my van, and I can’t fault it for £20 a year. It’s constantly updating, and I find it can find 99% of places in its system. It has worldwide maps as standard. I don’t instal the pois on here, I never have. So that aspect does not affect me.
I prefer it to google because the maps are all downloaded, and it is set up more like a satnav.

Last edited:
My first sat nag was quite expensive credit card expensive (don't ask) but I felt it would help me as a courier to do more jobs fast so over time it would pay for itself, this was at a time 1995-6) when it was very good money and you could do multiple deliveries, and it did, it was an Alpine system and it took all day to fit it into my transit, this , it would remember the route you had taken and allow you to backtrack.

In 2006 I bought a TomTom one V 4, you could run it two ways direct off the unit for work stuff, and of a SD card for personal stuff, I still have it somewhere, I'm a life member of Pocketgpsworld, well worth joining if you like your POIs, they have POIs for all systems I've heard of and a few others, very nerdy if you need it to be, but a good bunch of peeps & not a bad forum last time I needed help.

1724333693068.png

1724333737555.png

1724333806127.png

Hello All,

Cheers

James
I think you might be missing some thing as you should be able to add POI, depending on what format they are in you may need to convert them first

I have a Tom Tom Camper which I find very good to use. If I am looking for a Wildcamping poi I use my phone app so I can do streetview and read any comments about the site. If I am happy with it I then plot it into my satnav. More work involved but at least I have checked out the poi before arriving there rather than just turn up and find it unsuitable
Cheers for replying, good to know the camper is good in your experience . Its just a shame they are not allowing POI on the unit now. I had another reply today from Tom Tom saying that if enough people ask for it, they may add it to future updates. I do remember they did remove POI capabilities many years ago on the Western Europe iPhone App before allowing access again to add POI's. I need decide if to keep and hope they do give customers what they want (y)

I have the TomTom 5200. They are available at £200 ish. I have downloaded poi. Its wifi or usb uploadable for updates and poi from TomTom my drive. You can set the size of your camper into it as well. I also have low bridges poi installed as I carry kayaks on the roof too.

1. Open MyDrive
  3. Click on POI files
  4. Click Import POI file
  6. If your device is connected to your computer with a USB cable, the .OV2 file will be synced right away. If not, syncing will happen the next time you switch on your device and log in to your TomTom-account.
  7. 🤞
Cheers for replying, Tom Tom have confirmed it can't be done, but future updates may include this if enough users ask for it. I will check out what you have see if its worth return the camper and buying that One (y)

I have a TomTom Truck6000 which accepts third party POI's but when this model was first sold you couldn't add POI's to it, eventually they included the ability to add them in a software update, I read somewhere that they have no plans to add the same update to the latest WiFi only models, I wouldn't let that stop me enjoying what otherwise is an excellent satnav, it is easy enough to type an address or coordinates in, I can talk to mine and say find Tesco (other supermarkets are available) and it lists them in order of distance
Cheers Tezza,

Its good to know they did make POI available eventually on your unit, I can live in hope they do the same. Ill have a look at your unit and decide it to change (y)

My first sat nag was quite expensive credit card expensive (don't ask) but I felt it would help me as a courier to do more jobs fast so over time it would pay for itself, this was at a time 1995-6) when it was very good money and you could do multiple deliveries, and it did, it was an Alpine system and it took all day to fit it into my transit, this , it would remember the route you had taken and allow you to backtrack.

In 2006 I bought a TomTom one V 4, you could run it two ways direct off the unit for work stuff, and of a SD card for personal stuff, I still have it somewhere, I'm a life member of Pocketgpsworld, well worth joining if you like your POIs, they have POIs for all systems I've heard of and a few others, very nerdy if you need it to be, but a good bunch of peeps & not a bad forum last time I needed help.

View attachment 134393

View attachment 134394
View attachment 134395
Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciate the time. Yes ive been a member of the above too and I agree its fantastic if Tom Tom allowed it for my new unit. I particular like the Acsi CC poi, LPG pumps. Im just hoping if I don't change the unit they fix this issue.

Regards

If it isn't fit for the purpose you bought it for, it is unmarked, you still have original packaging & receipt take it back they won't give you a hard time at Halfrauds.
Thanks for the advice, Yeah its good to change for 30 days , the downsize is I purchased with Voucher in order to get 10 % off because im tight :) so I will have no see if I can get cash back as it will take me years to spend £300 in Halfords (y)

I think you might be missing some thing as you should be able to add POI, depending on what format they are in you may need to convert them first

I wish/ hope I was, ii am , im not bad on technology and been using Tom Tom, Garmin and Satmap POI for a few years but Tom Tom have confirmed its not possible. The WildCamping Ones are already converted. Cheers for your reply.(y)

Quite frankly I don’t trust any satnav when it comes to the size of the vehicle.
I had in my last van, and I regularly had to overrule it.
On one occasion I was directed on to a road that went under a canal, just about large enough for an average car. I had to reverse back about 400 yards back onto the main road, I was fortunate that no one was behind me. There were other examples I could give were it let me down.
I currently use TomTom go through Apple play on my van, and I can’t fault it for £20 a year. It’s constantly updating, and I find it can find 99% of places in its system. It has worldwide maps as standard. I don’t instal the pois on here, I never have. So that aspect does not affect me.
I prefer it to google because the maps are all downloaded, and it is set up more like a satnav.
Cheers for taking time t share , Ive used Google and Apple Maps for some time too and looks like until recently we had a similar size van. Before that I used Tom Tom Western Europe which is now discontinued but and having the ability to see Wild Camping POI as I passed them was excellent. I was hoping to have that on Tom Tom Camper with Youtubers specifically quoting it works with Wildcamping POI's. and they are members on here so trusted they had tried them before quoting it was possible.
Now I have a 7.5 meter Motorhome and retiring next month with the intention of spending upto 90 days in Europe I thought Go Camper would be an excellent choice (y)

Cheers for taking time t share , Ive used Google and Apple Maps for some time too and looks like until recently we had a similar size van. Before that I used Tom Tom Western Europe which is now discontinued but and having the ability to see Wild Camping POI as I passed them was excellent. I was hoping to have that on Tom Tom Camper with Youtubers specifically quoting it works with Wildcamping POI's. and they are members on here so trusted they had tried them before quoting it was possible.
Now I have a 7.5 meter Motorhome and retiring next month with the intention of spending upto 90 days in Europe I thought Go Camper would be an excellent choice (y)
James have a great retirement when it comes, and I hope you have many great travels in your van.

1. Open MyDrive
  3. Click on POI files
  4. Click Import POI file
  7. 🤞
Did you manage to download the Wildcamping POI from this site ?

Cheers again.

From the website link that you gave:

Adding POI files​

Note: This feature is not supported by TomTom GO Discover, GO Exclusive, GO Camper Max, GO Expert, GO Expert Plus, GO Superior, GO Camper Max 2nd Gen.

Back