Thoughts on France travel July/August - is it a risk?

The whole world is in a mess imho I've worked all my life never been on the dole paid my dues and it's my time to go and do what and when I want to within reason
I could go to say London,maybe a p,ace in Scotland or any other cities in the world and who knows what twat out there can do to me you or anyone ,we could be in a quiet town anywhere and get mowed down so my point is I'm looking out to my best and WILL CONTINUE for my trip
I'm not wanting this to start a debate or argument it's just how I feel I'm afraid
thanks if anyone reads and u derstands my points
have a nice day and stay safe guys

Fully agree with you Gordon. No more more overseas trips for us this year due to various family commitments at home but if we had a trip to France planned in the near future we would still go, obviously keeping an eye on where to avoid. Only issue would be if the FO travel advice changed, possibly negating travel insurance. Carry on enjoying your trip and stay safe both of you.

Fully agree with you Gordon. No more more overseas trips for us this year due to various family commitments at home but if we had a trip to France planned in the near future we would still go, obviously keeping an eye on where to avoid. Only issue would be if the FO travel advice changed, possibly negating travel insurance. Carry on enjoying your trip and stay safe both of you.
Exactly and will be watching F O for any advice common sense tony

The whole world is in a mess imho I've worked all my life never been on the dole paid my dues and it's my time to go and do what and when I want to within reason
I could go to say London,maybe a p,ace in Scotland or any other cities in the world and who knows what twat out there can do to me you or anyone ,we could be in a quiet town anywhere and get mowed down so my point is I'm looking out to my best and WILL CONTINUE for my trip
I'm not wanting this to start a debate or argument it's just how I feel I'm afraid
thanks if anyone reads and u derstands my points
have a nice day and stay safe guys
Gordon, from all media accounts, large cities with a high ethnic population appear to be the hot spots with rioting and unnecessary mindless vandalism and violence. Correct me if I’m wrong, I doubt very much you and Fi will travel into any hotspots?
Carry on as normal and enjoy your well deserved break. Bon Route 👍

Nothing much else happening news wise right now so media making a meal of it. I always find when there’s something like this going down in France the English based news channels and media make a meal of it and I think the French love a good English disaster story too. Ive not seen or heard anything untoward here in Brittany people here just going about stuff as normal. It’s always gonna kick off in these big cities every excuse they get it’s always the same minorities saying they are hard done by, not getting enough free stuff

Wully, the car ramming into house, we viewed on France 24, not UK media.

Last edited:
In France now, working my way down to our house near Poitiers. Not seen any problems. Staying tonight at Loches aire, lovely and had a walk around the medieval town and castle.

Nothing much else happening news wise right now so media making a meal of it. I always find when there’s something like this going down in France the English based news channels and media make a meal of it and I think the French love a good English disaster story too. Ive not seen or heard anything untoward here in Brittany people here just going about stuff as normal. It’s always gonna kick off in these big cities every excuse they get it’s always the same minorities saying they are hard done by, not getting enough free stuff
I believe that there have been issues in Rennes (and Nantes, which is not quite Brittany these days).

In France now, working my way down to our house near Poitiers. Not seen any problems. Staying tonight at Loches aire, lovely and had a walk around the medieval town and castle.
Just home from a road trip (work) to Monaco saw the news after the spark incident, other than seeing bus loads of Police on the way up making thier way to Paris (I guess) nothhing to report.

I'd stay out of certain areas in certain cities for now, but dont suppose any of you lot would be visiting such areas anyway.

Just home from a road trip (work) to Monaco saw the news after the spark incident, other than seeing bus loads of Police on the way up making thier way to Paris (I guess)
Your comment above reminds me of the 84/85 UK Miners strike. Bus loads of Police heading to Lady Victoria Pit (best canteen with real home made food) Bilston Glen and Monktonhall Pits.

I never worked within the coal industry, I will never forget the double deck buses rammed with police.

I laughed when I read this. We have been in France for a month, with no trouble whatsoever. The only bonfire we saw was for St. John, and one or two lads were being silly with fireworks, but not near us. We stayed in a village and found they were having a party, with pop-up catering and dancing. We were made welcome. In fact we were welcomed everywhere. Don’t go to rough areas, or the centre of big cities and you’ll be fine. When in doubt, smile and make friends.

We haven’t booked anything yet as we have things to sort at home and plan to do Poole Cherbourg at short notice as and when.

I am monitoring the French troubles and am seriously questioning if we should give France a miss this summer. Maybe staying in the U.K. but need to plan now if we do this as we do not U.K. wild camp high season but we do grass without hook up camping and pitches are currently available at sensible prices on these type of sites.

Any thoughts on this and how are those already in France getting on?
France is a big country!

Once away from ferry ports and big cities, I think it highly unlikely you’ll have any bother.

one of my sons lives in the Tarn (south-west) and has reported nothing….

We are off in late August and haven't given a thought to cancelling. I'm pretty sure that the protests will have died down by then and even if not, as said, France is a big country so not expecting anything untoward,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back