Thoughts on France travel July/August - is it a risk?

Moped

We haven’t booked anything yet as we have things to sort at home and plan to do Poole Cherbourg at short notice as and when.

I am monitoring the French troubles and am seriously questioning if we should give France a miss this summer. Maybe staying in the U.K. but need to plan now if we do this as we do not U.K. wild camp high season but we do grass without hook up camping and pitches are currently available at sensible prices on these type of sites.

Any thoughts on this and how are those already in France getting on?

We haven’t booked anything yet as we have things to sort at home and plan to do Poole Cherbourg at short notice as and when.

I am monitoring the French troubles and am seriously questioning if we should give France a miss this summer. Maybe staying in the U.K. but need to plan now if we do this as we do not U.K. wild camp high season but we do grass without hook up camping and pitches are currently available at sensible prices on these type of sites.

Any thoughts on this and how are those already in France getting on?
The troubles are in a few large cities and most notably in the Ile-de-France, which I seldom go near, so I have no intention of changing my plans (which are for some 7 weeks' time in any case). I doubt that Cherbourg will be affected and once away from there I seldom go into cities or large towns until the day before the return ferry.

Ile de France has imposed a 9pm CET curfew on trams and buses, and the Interior Minister has requested that the curfew be made nationwide. An Apple Store in Strasbourg has been looted in broad daylight today, according to the Live Blog in the Guardian. The Interior Minister has also asked local [Community?] Leaders across France to ban the sale of tubes and pipes that have been used to launch fireworks; the sale of acids, petrol containers, and other flammable and chemical products are also asked to be restricted/banned

Steve

Hoping to go to France this July, all depending on NHS at moment, so nothing booked, but I have booked on the day I leave plenty of times.

Not worried about the troubles at all, besides there's hardly been a clear month in the last 4 years where something hasn't kicked off in France.

Anyway, I'll be a few KM east of Brioude with farmers, and if they kick off, I'll be join them. :)

why give the whole of France a miss because several low-life miscreants in some major cities have decided to riot and use the excuse of some kid, that was shot by the cops, to loot a few shops (the Nike store especially) for some free trainers.. I am sure that these looters will wear their new trainers in pride in his memory.. b**tards
for gods sake grow a pair and go over to France

Anyway, I'll be a few KM east of Brioude with farmers, and if they kick off, I'll be join them. :)
Several yrs ago when they where stopping lorrys carrying British lamb we where stopped at a road block tyres on fire in road but made very welcome by the protesters

I would not normally go that time of year because of French holidays, especially August.
However if you go to rural areas, possibly in the east I am sure it will be nice and quiet.
Oh, and about the whole sticker thing - UK now not GB - when I was there in June I saw cars with GB stickers and some with none....so?????

I would not normally go that time of year because of French holidays, especially August.
However if you go to rural areas, possibly in the east I am sure it will be nice and quiet.
Oh, and about the whole sticker thing - UK now not GB - when I was there in June I saw cars with GB stickers and some with none....so?????
We did Eastern France and the Loire Valley from 21 June to late August 2022 and stayed at Aires throughout [mainly free, some with free leccy too]. A couple of the really popular Aires were full, but there was usually a free pitch [or, at least, 3/4 of one], even in the peak period of August. Gave people the chance to confirm that we were not from Ukraine, even if we had to point to the Ecosse sticker occasionally ... (y)

Steve

I reckon France is the best place to be July and August. Plenty of free Aires and easy to escape the crowds if you want to. Avoid sites though. We often find September is busier for motorhomes in France than August. Everyone thinks they should avoid August so they all turn up in September🤣

I would never give the riots a second thought

We're going over on the 23rd July and I don't suppose there will be a problem then as France goes on there holidays in July /August so they won't be rioting they will be on the beach :cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cool:

This is well worth a read right through, just in case you get pulled over in France by the cops.

Interesting article, but someone failed to correctly "adapt" the original French "précaires". "...precarious drivers..."!!!

We left our hovel in the Vendee in November 2018 to start our Winter Sun debut trip to Spain; greeted by Gilets Jaune protesters at the local Supermarkets, blocking access to the fuel, but did outrun them to the next Total Station about 800m away [some 18c per litre more expensive!], and felt quite smug. Until we reached the autoroute Peage entrance, which was blocked by Tractors galore and hay bales. Couldn't go round the island to make a retreat, so used the traingle raised kerbing to do a 3 point circuit and returned home for 14 days before venturing out again.

Made it to our site in Spain where we were parked opposite a pair of Swedes from the far frozen north, in a brand new M/Home that lookd like a pair of Volvo artics welded together, bloody huge, but almost immaculate. Mrs made a beeline for us to condemn the Gilets Jaunes in unflattering terms [her political views were a wee bit to the right of Attilla the Hun]. Seems she was en route to Spain 2 weeks earlier when she encountered the Gilets Jaunes who blocked the way at Tours/Orleans. She shared some thoughts with the Gilets Jaunes, and attempted to drive through them at a slow pace ... So they kicked 7 shades of excrement out of the front offside wing, hence the 'almost immaculate' reference!

Our encounter was more, ahem, 'civilised' but quite intimidating with Protesters surrounding your vehicle and the Folding Caravan, which wouldn't have responded well to a concerted kicking ...

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back