The camping and caravan clubs anti wild camping letter.

Trev,

You need to read the sign. It is mixed usage until about 6pm. When I took this negotiation on the council had already passed a motion to erect barriers at the seafront car parks. The castle island seemed a good compromise, but the problem was we still had to try and maintain the same capacity of parking. Our answer was to remove six car bays and replace them with 4 Motorhome/car bays. We were able to add 2 more car bays by a bit of lateral thought elsewhere in the car park. The idea was sold as mixed use, much as many French aires are. Arrive in the evening and you will have a space for the next day. If I was staying I would prefer to park at the car park beside the outside pool (called the rock pool) just beyond the end of the promenade, or park by day at the tennis courts. Working with council to provide more spaces at Donard car park behind Nikkis kitchen.

Davy

View attachment 82589
Sorry, could you explain that. You said ’arrive in the evening and you will have a space for the next day'.....
On the notice it says a maximum of 12 hours....I must be missing something!

Where is that site? Often looked at CSMA stands at shows but not got their information
Whitemeads in forest of dean,
You need a membership number to get the discounted rate it does not come up automatically...at one time you needed to be a civil servant ..... now they accept a variety of people, now called boundless.

Sorry, could you explain that. You said ’arrive in the evening and you will have a space for the next day'.....
On the notice it says a maximum of 12 hours....I must be missing something!
I arrive in the morning and wife shops all day,then home,40 miles,dont want to over night in town just park safe of road.

Whitemeads in forest of dean,
You need a membership number to get the discounted rate it does not come up automatically...at one time you needed to be a civil servant ..... now they accept a variety of people, now called boundless.

You've stirred memories. I'm a member. Or at least I think I am. I still get the Boundless magazine and it's not long since I got the May/June issue. but. it's a long time since I had a membership (CSMA) card and, I'm not sure, but I don't think Britannia Rescue give you one either. I've looked out one of the old CSMA membership cards and I think I signed up with Britannia Rescue from them and then things become hazy. Anyway, I'm still with Britannia Rescue and I still get the Boundless Magazine. There's no list of sites in it but there is an email address for an Interest Group - Campign and Caravanning.. Not much on their website but I will be contactng them. Their listed address is Britannia House in Brighton so the same group?

So ...

Is this a site owned by CSMA (Boundless) or is it part of a discount scheme something like ACSI. Show a membership number to a commercial campsite and get a discount? Is there a list of such campsites? Sounds interesting.

You've stirred memories. I'm a member. Or at least I think I am. I still get the Boundless magazine and it's not long since I got the May/June issue. but. it's a long time since I had a membership (CSMA) card and, I'm not sure, but I don't think Britannia Rescue give you one either. I've looked out one of the old CSMA membership cards and I think I signed up with Britannia Rescue from them and then things become hazy. Anyway, I'm still with Britannia Rescue and I still get the Boundless Magazine. There's no list of sites in it but there is an email address for an Interest Group - Campign and Caravanning.. Not much on their website but I will be contactng them. Their listed address is Britannia House in Brighton so the same group?

So ...

Is this a site owned by CSMA (Boundless) or is it part of a discount scheme something like ACSI. Show a membership number to a commercial campsite and get a discount? Is there a list of such campsites? Sounds interesting.
Britannia rescue is now Frizzle or LV insurance as it's better known
Csma office is in Brighton.
If you mean whitemeads, then yes its owned by csma.

An abbreviated version of my letter and another were published in this months CCC magazine. But I note no comment from the editor regarding his remarks last month.

Wild camping rules
I write in response to Scott Currie’s letter regarding wild camping in the June issue (thto view).

I detest anyone in a motorhome who behaves poorly, and gives the otherwise friendly, well-behaved wild camping community a poor name. However, I have spent some wonderful times in beautiful locations where there are no campsites, and as far as I am aware I have never upset or annoyed anyone.

On my many crossings to the Scottish islands, out of 88 vehicles on board the ferry, there are normally only one or two motorhomes. We buy our provisions locally, and will normally go for a meal or two. And we will spend one night in three at a managed campsite to replenish water, and empty our cassettes.

Unless road markings or signage state otherwise, there is nothing illegal regarding parking a car or a motorhome in such a position.

There seems to be confusion regarding the 2003 Land Reform Act (Scotland) which you refer to. The act had nothing to do with motorhomes or other vehicles, except that they were not included within the act.

The act was enabled to facilitate freedom for people to pitch tents on private land. It did nothing to remove our rights to park legally where we are permitted to, within car parks where there is no signage preventing overnight parking.

Fife Council is to be applauded for its forward-thinking measures in recent times, with plans to add motorhome spaces and limited facilities to some of its car parks.

All we ask is for somewhere to park peacefully and preferably out of the way. And if facilities like chemical waste and water are provided, I am more than happy to pay for them.

Is that too much to ask for?

William Hurley, Milton of Campsie, Glasgow

Support motorhoming
I was disappointed to read your response in the June magazine, to Scott Currie’s letter regarding Wish you Were Here in the April magazine (thto view).

The topic of wild camping raises many questions as the term is widely misused. In Scottish law it means wilderness camping in a tent, but in common parlance it has come to mean off-grid overnighting in campervans and motorhomes, which is not illegal. It has been widely accepted in Scotland for many years but unfortunately too many people are coming, especially to the Highlands and Islands, who do not know the etiquette to follow.

The dearth of facilities for disposal of waste is a problem that some communities are tackling, notable examples being the North Harris Trust at Hushinish Gateway in the outer Hebrides and at Glencaple and Caerlaverock stopover in Dumfries and Galloway.

More of these facilities would help to alleviate some of the problems that Scott Currie mentioned. Motorhome owners who are used to visiting the continent, or who are from the continent are surprised at how few basic stopovers there are in the UK. We should be helping to encourage communities and landowners to provide Stelplatz-type facilities for motorhomers.

Most motorhome wild campers use a mix of campsites and stopovers and try to put money into local economies by eating out and buying provisions. Most people have a budget for their trips and if they have to pay the cost of campsites at £30 per night to use facilities they neither need nor want, as opposed to £5-£10 donations for disposal facilities, they will have less to spend in tourist shops.

Meg Macdonald, South Lanarkshire

After giving this some thought I am astounded that the editor made no comment.
The second letter from Meg MacDonald directly refers to his comment about legality. Yet he remains silent. Possibly his silence speaks a multitude.
At least we raised an issue that has been ignored by the big two.
Meg raises a point I have many times on here with regards to Europeans coming here and being shocked at the lack of facilities.

After giving this some thought I am astounded that the editor made no comment.
The second letter from Meg MacDonald directly refers to his comment about legality. Yet he remains silent. Possibly his silence speaks a multitude.
At least we raised an issue that has been ignored by the big two.
Meg raises a point I have many times on here with regards to Europeans coming here and being shocked at the lack of facilities.
The magazine does have a tech advice article on “Parking your motorhome” which may well be in response to recent emails received. However it really only covers daytime parking.

Last edited:
The magazine does have a tech advice article on “Parking your motorhome” which may well be in response to recent emails received. However it really only covers daytime parking.

I only glanced at the online magazine last night moped, I have not received my copy yet. I will look out for this article. I hope that they regret publishing Scott curries rant. I know that at least six on here wrote to them.

it says one thing, greed comes close, we were members of one, now only of 3 c, plus wildcampers, they dont want you out on the range,even when they are full,so
pass it by if your only passing through, stick to the rules, show them 2 finger, starting with peace and love, then turn them, round and up------ thank you. ok.pj.

Tas has a positive attitude towards campervans
image.png
image.png
image.png

Just received an email from a motorhome owner from Aberdeen.
I was given his contact details by the CCC.
He is campaigning for better treatment in Aberdeenshire.
He was looking for information on Fife council motorhome policies.
Looks like word is getting round, enough is enough.

Just received an email from a motorhome owner from Aberdeen.
I was given his contact details by the CCC.
He is campaigning for better treatment in Aberdeenshire.
He was looking for information on Fife council motorhome policies.
Looks like word is getting round, enough is enough.
The FB group CAMPrA (Campaign for real Aires is in the process of getting information together in a form that people can use to lobby their local authorities and landowners. It might be worth pointing him in that direction. We will be looking at best practice from all around the UK.

The FB group CAMPrA (Campaign for real Aires is in the process of getting information together in a form that people can use to lobby their local authorities and landowners. It might be worth pointing him in that direction. We will be looking at best practice from all around the UK.

See if they are aware of this, I suppose they will be.

I don't do FB.

Thanks for that. I will bring it to the attention of the founder of the group when we do a Zoom meeting tonight. Sorry you don't do FB as you would be an asset to the direction of the group. Meg

All the best with your campaign, it’s long overdue.
We have to stop accepting toleration and start to be appreciated.
We tolerate criminals and idiots, we are neither.
We are not seeking to be pampered, or given special treatment.
Equitable, fair and balanced will suffice, and right now there is a grave shortage of this in the UK. Fingers crossed that there are some forward thinkers out there within our local councils.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back