The camping and caravan clubs anti wild camping letter.

Hi Davy,

That's wonderful; thanks very much. Your experiences very much mirror our own – you'll know that John Thompson (tmcto) became dispirited with the lack of support and I gave up for a year or two when my loss of enthusiasm was added to when my motorhome was stolen. I was without a van for a couple of years but now I've been feeling the urge to begin work again. Lack of support is a bit disheartening. I'm hoping that someone will become a campaigner and I can become a supporter!

I'll leave it for a while but it looks like that council report could be a useful document and if, eventually, I get a copy I'll let you know.

Thanks and thanks for the offer of pm contact.

Tom

Problem with the camper parking bays in newcastle is cars,they just park up in the bays and bu--er of for the day,maybe next time i shall park across the front of them.

Trev,

You need to read the sign. It is mixed usage until about 6pm. When I took this negotiation on the council had already passed a motion to erect barriers at the seafront car parks. The castle island seemed a good compromise, but the problem was we still had to try and maintain the same capacity of parking. Our answer was to remove six car bays and replace them with 4 Motorhome/car bays. We were able to add 2 more car bays by a bit of lateral thought elsewhere in the car park. The idea was sold as mixed use, much as many French aires are. Arrive in the evening and you will have a space for the next day. If I was staying I would prefer to park at the car park beside the outside pool (called the rock pool) just beyond the end of the promenade, or park by day at the tennis courts. Working with council to provide more spaces at Donard car park behind Nikkis kitchen.

Davy

1590967425371.jpeg

In areas of France we visit frequently we have noticed this but only on a small proportion of sites and only off peak. It is a bit of a mystery that more sites do not offer this motorhome concession but we are quite happy to use ACSI sites for €12 or €14 if the location is convenient. At least it means we can get the tables and chairs out and use hook up. During late July and August full tariffs would apply regardless.

Now that would be the equivalent of £10 or £12 in the UK. If the two big clubs offered that rate for off peak motor homing with that rate limited to stays of 3 nights maximum then their more remote sites would be busier and motorhome sales in the UK really would take off!

Maybe the motorhome manufacturers should start lobbying the clubs?
I stay on club sites off peak for £10 to £12 with an old f*rts concession complete with EHU and shower facilities. Are you suggesting that they cut off a section for motorhomes with no access to the ablutions? If so I'll lose out.

Trev,

You need to read the sign. It is mixed usage until about 6pm. When I took this negotiation on the council had already passed a motion to erect barriers at the seafront car parks. The castle island seemed a good compromise, but the problem was we still had to try and maintain the same capacity of parking. Our answer was to remove six car bays and replace them with 4 Motorhome/car bays. We were able to add 2 more car bays by a bit of lateral thought elsewhere in the car park. The idea was sold as mixed use, much as many French aires are. Arrive in the evening and you will have a space for the next day. If I was staying I would prefer to park at the car park beside the outside pool (called the rock pool) just beyond the end of the promenade, or park by day at the tennis courts. Working with council to provide more spaces at Donard car park behind Nikkis kitchen.

Davy

View attachment 82589
Must be new as this was not there last time i went there,problem is the consideration bit,always cars in the bays so campervans cannot get in and go down the town to spend money.

Its not just councils we need to lobby. Landowners can also provide suitable parking. There are many community owned places who could take a lead from the West Harris community iniative. I am in touch with a lady who is trying to set up an aire in the borders, next to a railway station and community cafe.
It might be worth trying to get a power point presentation together for using with councils and community groups. On my travels in Europe I have taken many photos of aires and have some info. There must be someone on here, who has much better technical skills than me, who can put this together.

I stay on club sites off peak for £10 to £12 with an old f*rts concession complete with EHU and shower facilities. Are you suggesting that they cut off a section for motorhomes with no access to the ablutions? If so I'll lose out.

That £10 to £12 rate is only available to single occupants with the concession and only for Camping Club sites. If you are a couple you pay more. There are club sites without toilet blocks and these are significantly cheaper. Maybe clubs could apply these lower rates to all sites if motorhome users did not wish to use toilet blocks?

Also bearing in mind the current CV19 situation this non use may be the new campsite normal!

I received an ACSI Newsletter yesterday making the point that they expect fewer places. Fewer places equals higher prices? And less chance of just turning up and finding vacancis? This means aires even busier? And a lower tolerance for wild-camping away from aires?

2020-05-31_210426.png

If we were heading for a specific location we often used Alan Rodgers stops in peoples gardens. There would normally only be 2 - 6 pitches and waste and water points if you were lucky. Payment was often by an honesty box. We found these really handy. The Garmin satnav doesn't have this info, shame.

That £10 to £12 rate is only available to single occupants with the concession and only for Camping Club sites. If you are a couple you pay more. There are club sites without toilet blocks and these are significantly cheaper. Maybe clubs could apply these lower rates to all sites if motorhome users did not wish to use toilet blocks?

Also bearing in mind the current CV19 situation this non use may be the new campsite normal!
How do they stop you using the facilities. Some have keys but most either have a code or nothing. Wouldn't it be simpler to use the cl's or cs's, many of which have no facilities?

Last edited:
How do they stop you using the facilities. Some have keys but most either have a code or nothing. Wouldn't it be simpler to use the cl's or cd's, many of which have no facilities?
They are all lockable one way or another. For us single oldies the CL / CSs are often dearer. When the Temporary Holiday Sites (THSs) start again, thats where I will go. All of the THSs with a start date in July have been cancelled. Hopefully some of the August ones will be on.

No, on the French sites that do this you can still choose to go in the camping area at the normal rate if you want to use all the facilities. The motorhome stop area provides only the services of a basic Aire.

How do they stop you using the facilities. Some have keys but most either have a code or nothing. Wouldn't it be simpler to use the cl's or cs's, many of which have no facilities?
Camper vans probably have more success with cl’s and cs’s. We have found that a lot of cl‘s and cs’s, whilst stating motorhome friendly, do not have hard standings. During wetter periods it is impossible to manoeuvre a 4T motorhome on these sites, especially a Ducatto with front wheel drive.

Agree though that if they have hardstandings and hard access roads they are OK but many still charge £15 or more.

Camper vans probably have more success with cl’s and cs’s. We have found that a lot of cl‘s and cs’s, whilst stating motorhome friendly, do not have hard standings. During wetter periods it is impossible to manoeuvre a 4T motorhome on these sites, especially a Ducatto with front wheel drive.

Agree though that if they have hardstandings and hard access roads they are OK but many still charge £15 or more.
I'm sorry but it isn't to please everyone all of the time. I don't think you'll get your wish, but I wish you well

No, on the French sites that do this you can still choose to go in the camping area at the normal rate if you want to use all the facilities. The motorhome stop area provides only the services of a basic Aire.
I wish you well in your quest but fear it won't happen in my time.

Hi all as a relatively newbi, what other Clubs are available

Lioncrunch, please don’t take out of this thread that being a member of the big two is a poor move. They both offer excellent campsites, associate sites, and used by many on here thousands of certified locations (CLS) on private land at very reasonable prices and great locations. You cannot book any of these CLS unless you are a member.
My gripe with both of them is that they have not moved with the times. When they were both formed caravans greatly outnumbered Motorhomes and campers, but now it’s around 50/50, with Motorhomes and campers becoming more popular in years to come. The caravan club, two years ago changed their name to the caravan and Motorhome club, but basically other than changing their name nothing has changed. They promote the myth that wild camping is illegal, as seen in the recent letter in the CCC magazine. Many Motorhome owners still think that wild camping in carparks or lay-byes were overnight parking is allowed is illegal, it’s not. The big two deliberately confuse the issue by referring to acts like the freedom to roam act in Scotland which has got nothing to do with what we do.
The needs of Motorhome owners are more complicated than the needs of caravan owners. Most of us did not fork out vast sums to simply use campsites. We paid all this money and annual costs to have the freedom to go to places on a whim, and to respect these places as the treasures they surely are. Yes we also enjoy campsites occasionally, but using them normally only when required.
So the big two really need to realise that unless they change their ways they will alienate many of their members. Catering only for their own needs, and those of caravan owners is not good practice, and may cost them dearly. Advising us to always use campsites, only serves to highlight how far behind the curve they are.

Last edited:
When the Camping and Caravanning club started it was camping in tents. Members took their tents on their backs or on their bikes. They have "sections" for the different sorts of camping units who organise green field camping meets (all cancelled this year till at least the end of July). Their Temporary Holiday Sites (THSs) always have drinking water and elsan disposal. Many of our members use these but it is always worth ringing ahead to check the ground conditions.
Hi all as a relatively newbi, what other Clubs are available

Just before this lockdown we were on a csma site for the best part of 3 months I guess.
prices varied by the day with fri/sat being more expensive than the other5 days, I suppose it averaged out around £12 per night... with weekdays around £9.
We got ....
Up to 6 people and 1 dog.( though there was only the 2 of us) Free use of swimming pool for all occupants, free sauna, free jacuzzi. Free showers, free wash room and laundry. (Chargeable)
Football size play area for kids.
There was a bar, restaurant and games room.
Entertainment on fri/sat (hence the extra charge) though we never went.
I know these are out of season prices, but they ain't bad.
summer and school holidays are a lot more.
It is a club the same as the two big ones in the uk and needs to make a profit....
What excuse do the two big ones have for their excessive charges.
Yes you need to be a member ( I think its £28 per year)

Just before this lockdown we were on a csma site for the best part of 3 months I guess.
prices varied by the day with fri/sat being more expensive than the other5 days, I suppose it averaged out around £12 per night... with weekdays around £9.
We got ....
Up to 6 people and 1 dog.( though there was only the 2 of us) Free use of swimming pool for all occupants, free sauna, free jacuzzi. Free showers, free wash room and laundry. (Chargeable)
Football size play area for kids.
There was a bar, restaurant and games room.
Entertainment on fri/sat (hence the extra charge) though we never went.
I know these are out of season prices, but they ain't bad.
summer and school holidays are a lot more.
It is a club the same as the two big ones in the uk and needs to make a profit....
What excuse do the two big ones have for their excessive charges.
Yes you need to be a member ( I think its £28 per year)
Where is that site? Often looked at CSMA stands at shows but not got their information

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back