The C&MC and use of electricity.

When others find out you have left they will rejoin Rob.
They won’t have to put up with your superior attitude. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I am thinking of doing likewise.
For all I use them now I may as well.
But I will have to get the boss to agree:)

I prefer CL's and CS's to be honest Bill which although accredited to the big 2 are privately owned. I have managed to book on both without being a member of either organisation before now and with the growing network of Aires I think I'll get by. (never thought I'd say that!) :)

I prefer CL's and CS's to be honest Bill which although accredited to the big 2 are privately owned. I have managed to book on both without being a member of either organisation before now and with the growing network of Aires I think I'll get by. (never thought I'd say that!) :)
I know it’s a tough one for you Rob, but in these changing times Aires will help take pressure of what’s left of WC pois.
You were going to try out Braithwaite Village did you ever get there.

I know it’s a tough one for you Rob, but in these changing times Aires will help take pressure of what’s left of WC pois.
You were going to try out Braithwaite Village did you ever get there.

Not as yet Bill but hoping to in a couple of weeks or so on the way back from Scotland.

Last edited:
Not as yet Bill but hoping too in a couple of weeks or so on the way back from Scotland.
It’s very busy now Rob, I think you will have trouble getting booked.
Yes it’s a CCC site one of their best, maybe even their best.
5 star site.

43A4C187-D8DD-4F9D-9432-56E64A28CAFC.jpeg

I've never actually visited but I've explored on google earth. I must admit there's a massive part of me wants to go JUST because it sit's so close to the official camp site!
Being the analytical sort I wondered why the site was so busy considering the alternatives?
I wondered what the site campers felt about the alternative and what they though of the people using it?
I wondered what the campers on the car park/aire thought of the campers on the campsite?
BUT finally I wondered why I was so drawn to this particular aire simply because it was so close to a campsite!
I figured that both groups felt they were superior to the other and my feelings are driven by a desire to have a laugh at the suckers on the site!

We pulled in there in September 2021 on the Scooter and I had a chat with some of the wild campers pitched outside the campsite. They were absolutely having a laugh at the suckers on the site. :ROFLMAO: We never came back in the van though as we were already on a CL on our own up the road. Nice spot though.

We pulled in there in September 2021 on the Scooter and I had a chat with some of the wild campers pitched outside the campsite. They were absolutely having a laugh at the suckers on the site. :ROFLMAO: We never came back in the van though as we were already on a CL on our own up the road. Nice spot though.
I hope you were not at the cl in port Logan Barry. I checked their price last year and it was more expensive than the campsite.

I just checked the CL in April for two adults £35, the site £28.
Also the CL has a min stay of 7 nights.
To be frank Barry the site was cheaper than anywhere else in the area, inc the CLS. I really don’t think it’s reasonable to refer to people including myself as suckers.
Each to their own, live and let live.

Last edited:
I hope you were not at the cl in port Logan Barry. I checked their price last year and it was more expensive than the campsite.

I just checked the CL in April for two adults £35, the site £28.
Also the CL has a min stay of 7 nights.
To be frank Barry the site was cheaper than anywhere else in the area, inc the CLS. I really don’t think it’s reasonable to refer to people including myself as suckers.
Each to their own, live and let live.

No, back end of summer 21 our leisure battery started to go downhill so we ended up on this one a few miles from New England Bay. £10 a night including EHU. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=15982

No, back end of summer 21 our leisure battery started to go downhill so we ended up on this one a few miles from New England Bay. £10 a night including EHU. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=15982
That’s excellent value for the 4 vans that manage to get access Barry.
But it’s a fair distance from New England Bay.
We will be staying two nights outside the campsite, then our last night in the campsite. But to perfectly frank, I would prefer outside the campsite for free than the CL. Many who use the campsite like yourself were unaware of the poi directly outside the camp site. Others prefer to use the campsite, I don’t see them as suckers, just people who prefer what the site has to offer. The fact that some of them look down their noses at me, I find amusing. But not all in the site are like minded. Many in the site have small boats, and like the security the site offers rather than parking outside. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

That’s excellent value for the 4 vans that manage to get access Barry.
But it’s a fair distance from New England Bay.
We will be staying two nights outside the campsite, then our last night in the campsite. But to perfectly frank, I would prefer outside the campsite for free than the CL. Many who use the campsite like yourself were unaware of the poi directly outside the camp site. Others prefer to use the campsite, I don’t see them as suckers, just people who prefer what the site has to offer. The fact that some of them look down their noses at me, I find amusing. But not all in the site are like minded. Many in the site have small boats, and like the security the site offers rather than parking outside. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

It was only five or six miles from New England Bay which was the first place we came across out on the bike. It seemed a good central spot to tour around most of the peninsula from but a bit isolated in a MH if you dont have secondary transport. To be honest, we wouldn't rush back to that area. Ok for a day or two but it was sandwiched inbetween several weeks on Arran and then a few weeks in the Lake District. No competition really.

It was only five or six miles from New England Bay which was the first place we came across out on the bike. It seemed a good central spot to tour around most of the peninsula from but a bit isolated in a MH if you dont have secondary transport. To be honest, we wouldn't rush back to that area. Ok for a day or two but it was sandwiched inbetween several weeks on Arran and then a few weeks in the Lake District. No competition really.
I agree its not a patch on the other two, but we enjoy the unique environment of the area, and the beech has to be one of the best on the mainland.
If you never visited the Mull itself thats well worth a visit.
We love the coastal walks, and the walk over the peninsula to Port Logan, and there's an excellent poi there to.
Portpatrick with its no overnight parking signs was a dissapointment.

I agree its not a patch on the other two, but we enjoy the unique environment of the area, and the beech has to be one of the best on the mainland.
If you never visited the Mull itself thats well worth a visit.
We love the coastal walks, and the walk over the peninsula to Port Logan, and there's an excellent poi there to.
Portpatrick with its no overnight parking signs was a dissapointment.

We have been to Mull in the 2000s but in the car and just stopped in Hotels. We were going to go in the van but to be honest we were put off by the anti wild camping attitude. I found when we visited in the 2000s most of it was run by the English and they were not exactly the friendliest. The hoteliers we came across would have given Basil Fawlty a run for his money.

We have been to Mull in the 2000s but in the car and just stopped in Hotels. We were going to go in the van but to be honest we were put off by the anti wild camping attitude. I found when we visited in the 2000s most of it was run by the English and they were not exactly the friendliest. The hoteliers we came across would have given Basil Fawlty a run for his money.
Mull is a stunning island, it’s also a very large island Barry. The carparks at Fionpfort and Tobermory now charge £9 a day to park. But there are plenty of places to wild camp on the island. As for the English infiltrators they can go and —— themselves for all I care. If I want to visit any part of my country I will do so regardless of what they or others think. Whilst on my last visit to the Lake District my wife and I were shocked at the amount of private land signs telling you to keep out. I rarely see such signs in Scotland, and if some from down south reckon they can import this up here, they are in for a hard ride. So if I was you I would not write of one of our best islands.

Mull is a stunning island, it’s also a very large island Barry. The carparks at Fionpfort and Tobermory now charge £9 a day to park. But there are plenty of places to wild camp on the island. As for the English infiltrators they can go and —— themselves for all I care. If I want to visit any part of my country I will do so regardless of what they or others think. Whilst on my last visit to the Lake District my wife and I were shocked at the amount of private land signs telling you to keep out. I rarely see such signs in Scotland, and if some from down south reckon they can import this up here, they are in for a hard ride. So if I was you I would not write of one of our best islands.

As said Bill, we have been. I liked it but I much prefer Arran. I think you even get a warning about booking a site when you go on the CalMac website. It would appear from the POI and general research that the few remaining wild spots are inland away from the coast. If I go on a remote island I want a bit of freedom and to know that I am welcome. They wouldn't even let me join their FB group.

I feel superior to everyone Bill, but that's mainly because I am.

However, I won't be renewing my CAMC membership this year and surely people will leave in droves when they see that?

I actually meant to leave last year but then I noticed it had automatically renewed. :mad:

That's been my plan for a few years but the same thing keeps happening.

It didn't used to be on DD but then I forgot to pay one year, and as I had a site booked I coughed up and set up the DD. Since then I've been trying to cancel it but I've been forgetting it until I see it's gone by which time it's too late.

Costs me twice as much as C&CC and I very rarely use their sites.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back