taking your dog abroad

Thanks Pen,
That seems rather strange, the rabies jab is normally every three years. Not sure it would be safe to administer every year.
When we first started travelling ( many moons ago) rabies was every year in UK as well) didn’t seem to harm the then doggy

Regarding the frequency of the rabies vacs, here in France it appears that there is 1 year between the first and second but thereafter every 3 years same vaccine not a different 'booster' and dogs have been 'done' in Portugal a few years ago and again it is 3 yearly. We have 2 dogs and 12 years experience of having vacs done here. We did acquire 1 dog 2 years ago whose vacs had been missed by only 2 months, then we had to start the 1 year then 3 year business again. Bound to be some difference between various countries, its not EU law.

Regarding the frequency of the rabies vacs, here in France it appears that there is 1 year between the first and second but thereafter every 3 years same vaccine not a different 'booster' and dogs have been 'done' in Portugal a few years ago and again it is 3 yearly. We have 2 dogs and 12 years experience of having vacs done here. We did acquire 1 dog 2 years ago whose vacs had been missed by only 2 months, then we had to start the 1 year then 3 year business again. Bound to be some difference between various countries, its not EU law.
That’s refreshing news, thanks for your input.

So am I being overly optimistic by highlighting this?

an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in GB if issued before 1 January 2021)

I have just emailed APHA thus
Hi,
As pensioners, we are very conscious about saving our costs whenever possible. We travel regularly to Europe in our Motorhome, and always take our dog Max.
We understand that his EU(GB) Pet Passport will no longer suffice, and we will have to arrange an Animal Health Certificate to satisfy the French Border Control.
If we get an AHC before our next trip, when we get abroad can we apply to a local vet for an EU Pet Passport, negating future need for an AHC?
Best regards

I will report back if I hear anything.
Had a reply this afternoon.. it’s looking good folks!
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry. It may be possible for you to obtain an EU issued passport for future travel but this would be at the discretion of the EU vet. You will need an AHC to travel to the EU before a passport is issued.

Kind regards

Collina Devlin

Administrative Officer

Animal and Plant Health Agency
(APHA)
So that’s the plan, pay for the first AHC, and then find a sympathetic vet

I received an email from my vet on 18 January 2021 regarding travel into the Eu or Northern Ireland with pets. I have brought it down to bullet points, but if anyone wants to see the original email PM me your email and I will copy it to you.

Take note of point 5 should you intend to visit Finland as you may need to visit a vet for another certificate if you don't arrive within the 10 days AHC period. Fortunately I am travelling with cats so not affected by it as I go often to visit the grandchildren.

Also keep your Pet Passport you will need it for return if you exceed the 4 month validity of the AHC
Now the UK has left the EU, health and documentation rules for pets travelling between the UK and the EU (including Northern Ireland) have changed and UK-issued EU pet passports will not be valid for entry to the EU.
Leaving the UK
You will need to complete the following steps before travelling with your pet:
1 get your pet microchipped and
2 ensure your pet’s rabies vaccination is up to date (as now), and
3 wait 3 weeks after vaccination before travelling (unless a booster vaccination has been given on time)
4 return to a vet within ten days of travel for an Animal Health Certificate (AHC)
5 get tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Malta which are EU-listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland, Malta and Northern Ireland) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (one to five days) before arriving in one of those countries.
6 on arrival in the EU, travellers with pets will need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry where you may need to show proof of your pet’s health checks and documentation. A list of these can be found here: https://ec.europa.eu/.../eu.../non-commercial-non-eu/tpe_en
**Always check the rules of the country you are travelling to or through for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel – it is your responsibility to check the current rules for travel and arrange the appropriate documents.**
Getting an Animal Health Certificate
1 You must book an appointment with one of our Official Veterinarians to get an animal health certificate (not all vets can issue AHCs).
2 The certificate will be specific to the country you are entering the EU through but can then be used for onwards travel through other EU countries (see point 5 above).
3 You need the certificate no more than 10 days before you travel. Please give us as much notice as possible when booking the appointment. We cannot guarantee a last minute appointment for an Animal Health Certificate: this is due to the time required, and the fact that only Official Veterinarians can complete the paperwork.
4 We will check your pet’s microchip and all the relevant details. you must bring proof of your pet’s microchipping date and rabies vaccination history if not done by us
5 You will need to return at a later time to collect the actual AHC as it takes a while to complete the documentation and copies need to be made.
6 We will request you to send us information about your pet and the travel details in advance of your appointment.
7 When booking the appointment, please tell us the country of entry to the EU you will be using.
Validity
1 An AHC is valid for 10 days after its date of issue for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland.
2 The certificate is valid for onward travel within the EU and re-entry into the UK for four months.
3 Please be aware that you will need a new AHC each time you visit the EU.
Further guidance is available on GOV.UK: https://www.gov.uk/guid.../pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-tra...arEPiyzWuWLSloa1KufSXILWRsfbU3MqdSTmZewrZMDnU
Wondering if there has been any recent changes to the above , can't seem to find anything ?
Just been to vets to get passport stamped for rabies jab which was actually done last year . Was informed vet couldn't do this as it was illegal . Finally got them to give me a vaccination card showing rabies jab .
Was also informed dog would have to be wormed before travelling to France ? From the above that doesn't seem to be the case .
The animal health certificate procedure seems straightforward enough but it does govern your[certainly mine] travelling to ferry . I tend to meander through England and often book ferry last minute .
I assume people will be posting vets details around Dover etc

Well we popped into a Portuguese vet a few days ago, and an EU pet passport was issued for 17 euros!
On the way home, at the end of May, I will report to the Pet Reception Centre at Calais and ask them if they would find it acceptable for future use. Obviously we have an AHC to cover THIS return, but it would be interesting to get an ‘official’ opinion for future use.
Max had a rabies jab about a fortnight before we travelled out here, which is valid for three years, this has been entered on his new passport and clearly states that it is valid until 2025. Will report back, in June. Fingers crossed!

Well we popped into a Portuguese vet a few days ago, and an EU pet passport was issued for 17 euros!
On the way home, at the end of May, I will report to the Pet Reception Centre at Calais and ask them if they would find it acceptable for future use. Obviously we have an AHC to cover THIS return, but it would be interesting to get an ‘official’ opinion for future use.
Max had a rabies jab about a fortnight before we travelled out here, which is valid for three years, this has been entered on his new passport and clearly states that it is valid until 2025. Will report back, in June. Fingers crossed!
Can't work out why vets in Portugal are so much cheaper than UK? We used to take Chloe to one here (to continue treatment started in UK) and were impressed with how efficient and reasonable they were. For instance €5 for blood test (£50+UK) €15 for consultation (£40 UK) and a years meds given for same cost as a month's in UK! I know wages are lower but it seems disproportionate.

Hope that works out . One question , will UK vets stamp an eu passport or will rabies have to be done abroad ?
Heading for Portugal at the moment , coincidentally

Hope that works out . One question , will UK vets stamp an eu passport or will rabies have to be done abroad ?
Heading for Portugal at the moment , coincidentally
Do not let a UK vets do anything with an eu passport as it will invalidate it.
I've been using a PT passport for my dog back and forth to the UK and had no problems.

And try to get it done in Spain or Portugal, it is not so easy in France (ICAD registration). In case it hasn't been mentioned explicitly, if your dog does need a rabies booster get the three year one - otherwise, with an annual one, you would need to be back in the EU before it expires.

Do not let a UK vets do anything with an eu passport as it will invalidate it.
I've been using a PT passport for my dog back and forth to the UK and had no problems.
Yes that was my point , rabies would have to be renewed in EU

Can't work out why vets in Portugal are so much cheaper than UK? We used to take Chloe to one here (to continue treatment started in UK) and were impressed with how efficient and reasonable they were. For instance €5 for blood test (£50+UK) €15 for consultation (£40 UK) and a years meds given for same cost as a month's in UK! I know wages are lower but it seems disproportionate.
Vets in this country rip you off ....simples. only ever took my dog once and vowed to avoid at all costs.

• Sad
Reactions: REC
So get a eu pet passport the dont let a uk vet enter rabies vaccinations in it.
Keep your old uk pet passport or AHC with the new one until a eu vet enters a new rabies vaccination in it..
You will be fine doing this. This is the legal part because the dates wont match and one vet can not alter another vets entry.
You need to find a vet in any EU country that will issue you with a passport. Some only give 12 months vaccine so it's a bit hit or miss.
We just came back with a new Spanish passport with only the worming ref in it. Gave this in with AHC and all was fine, they said to keep together with passport until new rabies jab had been entered in 18 months time.

We managed to get a EU pet passport in France last year. I think France is tightening up a bit now but it saves us having to get an AHC every time we want to leave the country. I would try another European country if France won't play.

I also have Irish citizenship so can be abroad for an unlimited period so it was viral for us. We did ask about restrictions to my UK husband but were told that as long as I travel with my Irish passport and we show our marriage certificate we are good to go.

Yes we have been told that ANY British stamp on the passport will invalidate it.
The Portuguese vet acknowledged that the three year rabies jab had only just been done and duly recorded that on the new passport. Hopefully, Max won’t need a rabies booster until 2025.

Reactions: REC
Yes we have been told that ANY British stamp on the passport will invalidate it.
The Portuguese vet acknowledged that the three year rabies jab had only just been done and duly recorded that on the new passport. Hopefully, Max won’t need a rabies booster until 2025.
That was my concern re the EU passport
If you had to be in eu at a certain time annually for the rabies jag you'd possibly save nothing

That was my concern re the EU passport
If you had to be in eu at a certain time annually for the rabies jag you'd possibly save nothing
I will try to do a bit more research but I believe a three year rabies jab is available but you have to ask for it.

got molly a new passport from a vet in tavira ( an irish girl called sarah ) since her rabies was over 2 years old had an additional rabies done with the passport €59 when i had that 2 year old jab paid £190 inc her annual boosters & ear drops

Well, for anyone who hasn’t got the message yet, IT WORKS!
Max has got his new passport, issued in Portugal for 17 euros.
All the details were copied from the AHC.
On the way home, we stopped at the Coeur de Caux veterinary hospital at Cany Barville for his tapeworm tablet and were charged 26 euros, which included the tablet.
I asked the vet if, in his opinion, the Portuguese passport would be good to use in subsequent trips and he said Yes it would be perfectly fine. I also asked IF I were to return in 2025 for Maxs rabies jab could he have the three year dose and he said that’s all they use.
On the return crossing, we reported to the Pet Reception Centre at Eurotunnel Coquelles, and asked IF in their opinion we would have any problems using the Portuguese Passport, and they were perfectly happy with it!
So, all the pointers are looking good! Do bear in mind though that you still have to buy an AHC for the initial crossing into Europe, we chose Abbeywell Vets at Folkestone, who charged us £99 for their services.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back