taking your dog abroad

rugbyken

don’t know how true this is i’ve just copied and pasted from another forum but could be a solution to the £100 test every trip you would not have to give up the uk passport but would travel in the eu with that one ?

For info for dog owners traveling to and from Europe. Since jan 1st you are required to obtain a AHC from your vet to travel to Europe and this only lasts 4 months and some prices are upwards of £100 each time. I have spoken to The pet travel helpline which is a government linked organisation (0370 241 1710) and they have confirmed if while you are in Europe and obtain a European pet passport for your dog then you will no longer need a AHC to travel back and forth from UK to europe. We are visiting a vet tomorrow in Portugal to obtain a European pet passport, quoted cost is €15. They transfer all info from current passport into a new one and another bonus is the restrictions of the AHC of 4 months is no longer a problem. Hope this helps make future pet travel a little easier.
Chris

Last edited:
I'd rather leave Phill behind than the dogs.
I love that bit, I think Maggy would just like to leave me behind even if there wasn't a problem but we couldn't leave Roxxy.
It would be nice if this would work though, it wouldn't stop us going having to pay for every trip because we are already used to being ripped off taking our pets abroad.

We rescued a Portuguese dog last year she came with EUR passport so hopefully that sounds like she may not need the AHC

So can anybody tell me if we have an EU pet passport (negating the need for an AHC)

159631BF-23B6-436E-927A-4AD785D76F02.jpeg
159631BF-23B6-436E-927A-4AD785D76F02.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: REC
Sorry Rog, the United Kingdom bit ruins that one. :cry:
Ok thanks Sharon.
Clutching at straws I suppose.
Still, might look into this business about applying for an EU passport. €15 sounds like a good deal to me. Much better than having to apply for an AHC every time we venture through the Chunnel.

don’t know how true this is i’ve just copied and pasted from another forum but could be a solution to the £100 test every trip you would not have to give up the uk passport but would travel in the eu with that one ?

For info for dog owners traveling to and from Europe. Since jan 1st you are required to obtain a AHC from your vet to travel to Europe and this only lasts 4 months and some prices are upwards of £100 each time. I have spoken to The pet travel helpline which is a government linked organisation (0370 241 1710) and they have confirmed if while you are in Europe and obtain a European pet passport for your dog then you will no longer need a AHC to travel back and forth from UK to europe. We are visiting a vet tomorrow in Portugal to obtain a European pet passport, quoted cost is €15. They transfer all info from current passport into a new one and another bonus is the restrictions of the AHC of 4 months is no longer a problem. Hope this helps make future pet travel a little easier.
Chris

Ken, can I ask which forum you copied this from, I would like to see if there is any follow up to this post. If ‘Chris’ is correct, it could save us all a small fortune.

hi roger this was on the hymer owners page on facebook these are some of the responses

Susan O'Meara the pet travel org this morning on the phone were very clear on this and I spoke to two separate people. If you have a UK issued pet passport you will need a AHC from a vet to travel to Europe and this lasts 4 months, but if you obtain a pet passport from a vet in Europe ie France, Portugal then you can travel freely from UK to Europe and reverse without the need of a AHC thus saving a load of cash as the AHC is very expensive and last only 4 months.

From the .gov site to-day. It says one of the following;

Pet travel documents
Your pet must have one of the following documents when entering or returning to GB:

an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in GB if issued before 1 January 2021), or a pet passport from another Part 1 listed third country
the animal health certificate (AHC) issued in GB used to travel to the EU – which you can use to re-enter GB for up to 4 months after it was issued
a GB pet health certificate (for travel into GB only)
Your pet will not need this documentation if it’s entering GB from:

NI
the Channel Islands
the Isle of Man

I’d be interested to see if it is really possible for a UK resident to get an EU pet passport. It all sounds feasible, but I was under the impression you would need a French ( or other EU address) for both the passport and microchip registration.
We have a new dog and will be getting her a passport soon, but, she is French and we live there anyway, so won’t be a problem for us, but could save regular travellers to the EU a small fortune.

So am I being overly optimistic by highlighting this?

an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in GB if issued before 1 January 2021)

I have just emailed APHA thus
Hi,
As pensioners, we are very conscious about saving our costs whenever possible. We travel regularly to Europe in our Motorhome, and always take our dog Max.
We understand that his EU(GB) Pet Passport will no longer suffice, and we will have to arrange an Animal Health Certificate to satisfy the French Border Control.
If we get an AHC before our next trip, when we get abroad can we apply to a local vet for an EU Pet Passport, negating future need for an AHC?
Best regards

I will report back if I hear anything.

Last edited:
So am I being overly optimistic by highlighting this?

an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in GB if issued before 1 January 2021)

I have just emailed APHA thus
Hi,
As pensioners, we are very conscious about saving our costs whenever possible. We travel regularly to Europe in our Motorhome, and always take our dog Max.
We understand that his EU(GB) Pet Passport will no longer suffice, and we will have to arrange an Animal Health Certificate to satisfy the French Border Control.
If we get an AHC before our next trip, when we get abroad can we apply to a local vet for an EU Pet Passport, negating future need for an AHC?
Best regards

I will report back if I hear anything.
Well done Rog,
I look forward to reading the reply.

Snapster made a good point with
It all sounds feasible, but I was under the impression you would need a French ( or other EU address) for both the passport and microchip registration.

I doubt if it matters which country the chip is registered in but I could foresee a problem with the address for the passport.

If I was running an EU animal shelter I would be looking at this as a way to make some money, as we used to board many a pet with an EU passport from when they were adopted from an overseas rescue centre. I am sure they could get a passport for you & then you could adopt your own dog.

THANK YOU.
As my wife is Dutch we already have these.
Now we just have to educate the border guards an Dutch embassy that we the Schenegen agreement allows us to stay for more than 90 days.

THANK YOU.
As my wife is Dutch we already have these.
Now we just have to educate the border guards an Dutch embassy that we the Schenegen agreement allows us to stay for more than 90 days.
They probably will use this in some form of bargaining tool. I don’t believe that Europeans coming to the UK are subject to the 90 day rule, but I have been known to be wrong!

They probably will use this in some form of bargaining tool. I don’t believe that Europeans coming to the UK are subject to the 90 day rule, but I have been known to be wrong!
https://www.visitbritain.com/gb/en/plan-your-trip/getting-britain/visiting-uk-from-1-january-2021 seem to be allowed to stay six months a viewing to the attached!

A point I noticed, the EU pet passport if issued in GB before 2021 looks to be still allowed according to other quotes? And it says one of documents not passport +AND
Interested to see what is emailed back, although not relevant to us at the moment!

Last edited:
Just had a read of your link Ruth, and I get the impression that what they ACTUALLY mean is you can bring your pet back from Europe using a UK Pet Passport, if it was issued before Brexit. This is probably to accommodate people who were already abroad last year, but who are returning before March 31st. (90 days).

I asked a friend in Spain about this as they have just got a European passport for their dog.
Here is their answer ...
I think (but don’t know for definite) that anyone could get the EU passport. We had to give a Spanish address for the microchip to be registered to but weren’t asked for any proof that it was actually my address or that I was a resident here just gave my passport as ID. I don’t know if the address would affect the UK microchip database or just the Spanish one or are they all linked? Anyway we got it done in our town and was only in there 15 mins including an up to date rabies jab and the whole thing cost €30. They issue it to you straight away. The only thing I have read is that all future vaccines would have to be done by an EU vet and not in UK anymore and would only be recorded on the EU passport. Rabies jabs have to be done annually here in Spain. Hope this helps.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back