taking your dog abroad

So looks like you would need the paper thing to leave the Uk so still going to cost you but if you can use an address in Europe it’s possible. But your microchip will be attached to the European address ? Useful if you travel regularly to Europe or are a snowbird like us :)

I asked a friend in Spain about this as they have just got a European passport for their dog.
Here is their answer ...
I think (but don’t know for definite) that anyone could get the EU passport. We had to give a Spanish address for the microchip to be registered to but weren’t asked for any proof that it was actually my address or that I was a resident here just gave my passport as ID. I don’t know if the address would affect the UK microchip database or just the Spanish one or are they all linked? Anyway we got it done in our town and was only in there 15 mins including an up to date rabies jab and the whole thing cost €30. They issue it to you straight away. The only thing I have read is that all future vaccines would have to be done by an EU vet and not in UK anymore and would only be recorded on the EU passport. Rabies jabs have to be done annually here in Spain. Hope this helps.
Thanks Penny,
I still haven’t heard from APHA yet, but as soon as I hear anything official I will post on here.

Ok phoned .gov
You need the health certificate to get out of Britain which covers Europe for 4 months.
If you can get a European Passport then you must get the rabies done every year in Europe.
I am going to ask my pet chip company about that next ;)
Oh and obviously dogs need that worming thing we have a cat so not needed.

Ok phoned .gov
You need the health certificate to get out of Britain which covers Europe for 4 months.
If you can get a European Passport then you must get the rabies done every year in Europe.
I am going to ask my pet chip company about that next ;)
Oh and obviously dogs need that worming thing we have a cat so not needed.
Thanks Pen,
That seems rather strange, the rabies jab is normally every three years. Not sure it would be safe to administer every year.

AFAIK it has only been one year in most of Europe, I think our vaccine is different

The dog will think it strange that it only seems like 7 years and not 21
Thanks Terry, we need to visit the vet, early Feb. to have his booster jab, but sadly I don’t think he knows what he’s talking about, when it comes to the nitty gritty. I could always go and have a chat to the wall in the waiting room!

I could always go and have a chat to the wall in the waiting room!
Be careful Rog or you could end up like this
Shirley-Valentine-LB-1.jpg

Reactions: REC
Surprised uk has not pushed on blood test for pets to enter uk as we are isolated by water and there is rabies on the continent - but time will tell - anything could happen total pain this is

No address is required for the Passport, you can use your UK one as proof of Rabies inoculations.
We always get any vet treatments recorded in the Passport. So we have a record of drugs used and dates etc.

No address is required for the Passport, you can use your UK one as proof of Rabies inoculations.
We always get any vet treatments recorded in the Passport. So we have a record of drugs used and dates etc.
So to be clear, does your dog have an EU Pet Passport?

Cant answer that sorry only had her a year. I think when we were members of the EU the standard was a booster every 3 years but who knows the situation now

Cant answer that sorry only had her a year. I think when we were members of the EU the standard was a booster every 3 years but who knows the situation now
Ok thanks for that. Will be seeing our vet in a couple of weeks, so will see what he makes of it all.
Can’t see why a medical procedure would change simply because we’ve had a political change.
Thanks for getting back to me.

So just put our dogs on to Greek passports. The local vet had to email an office in Athens and then gave us a sheet of paper to take to the local Town Hall to register the dogs in Greece. We had to give the vet our Greek tax numbers and address. We will hand right the new address in the front the passports.
I dont know how easy it would be to just put any eu address in the passport and I would not want to risk that at a border unless I could show evidence of this was my home.
I contacted ALPHA (animal and plant health agency) and they confirmed that bringing your eu pet into the UK does not have any time restriction.

I received an email from my vet on 18 January 2021 regarding travel into the Eu or Northern Ireland with pets. I have brought it down to bullet points, but if anyone wants to see the original email PM me your email and I will copy it to you.

Take note of point 5 should you intend to visit Finland as you may need to visit a vet for another certificate if you don't arrive within the 10 days AHC period. Fortunately I am travelling with cats so not affected by it as I go often to visit the grandchildren.

Also keep your Pet Passport you will need it for return if you exceed the 4 month validity of the AHC
Now the UK has left the EU, health and documentation rules for pets travelling between the UK and the EU (including Northern Ireland) have changed and UK-issued EU pet passports will not be valid for entry to the EU.
Leaving the UK
You will need to complete the following steps before travelling with your pet:
1 get your pet microchipped and
2 ensure your pet’s rabies vaccination is up to date (as now), and
3 wait 3 weeks after vaccination before travelling (unless a booster vaccination has been given on time)
4 return to a vet within ten days of travel for an Animal Health Certificate (AHC)
5 get tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Malta which are EU-listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland, Malta and Northern Ireland) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (one to five days) before arriving in one of those countries.
6 on arrival in the EU, travellers with pets will need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry where you may need to show proof of your pet’s health checks and documentation. A list of these can be found here: https://ec.europa.eu/.../eu.../non-commercial-non-eu/tpe_en
**Always check the rules of the country you are travelling to or through for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel – it is your responsibility to check the current rules for travel and arrange the appropriate documents.**
Getting an Animal Health Certificate
1 You must book an appointment with one of our Official Veterinarians to get an animal health certificate (not all vets can issue AHCs).
2 The certificate will be specific to the country you are entering the EU through but can then be used for onwards travel through other EU countries (see point 5 above).
3 You need the certificate no more than 10 days before you travel. Please give us as much notice as possible when booking the appointment. We cannot guarantee a last minute appointment for an Animal Health Certificate: this is due to the time required, and the fact that only Official Veterinarians can complete the paperwork.
4 We will check your pet’s microchip and all the relevant details. you must bring proof of your pet’s microchipping date and rabies vaccination history if not done by us
5 You will need to return at a later time to collect the actual AHC as it takes a while to complete the documentation and copies need to be made.
6 We will request you to send us information about your pet and the travel details in advance of your appointment.
7 When booking the appointment, please tell us the country of entry to the EU you will be using.
Validity
1 An AHC is valid for 10 days after its date of issue for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland.
2 The certificate is valid for onward travel within the EU and re-entry into the UK for four months.
3 Please be aware that you will need a new AHC each time you visit the EU.
Further guidance is available on GOV.UK: https://www.gov.uk/guid.../pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-tra...arEPiyzWuWLSloa1KufSXILWRsfbU3MqdSTmZewrZMDnU

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back