Stuck on grass !!

I have to say,
As a Fulltime Livaboard I do ALOT of Overnights on ground that if I’m honest has been soft, & Paid the price 😱.
If time is shy, or Tired dictating my stop over, I now try & park with at least 3 of Boxy’s 6 Tyers ON or Close to solid ground, Putting the Mats down FIRST on the Softer side, then drive on top of them if on Grass or Expecting Overnight Rain.

We have got a couple of cheap Aldi traction pads. I doubt they would help if sinking in too deep, but they have worked a couple of times in slippery conditions, once when 'stuck' at bottom of carpark which had wet grass on top of clay, the other time whilst trying to drive one front wheel up levelling ramp. As for 'off road' tyres, don't expect miracles they have limits, I speak as someone who managed to get a MF35 stuck 😳

I was parked here at the weekend

IMG_0447.jpeg

Don’t know how many motor homes/vans had to be towed out by the 3 tractor team at Donington but Monday morning I simply drove off my pitch with no help or drama.

I always carry plastic waffle boards / sand ladders, arrived at Donington to a warning from the staff that we would get stuck, found our pitch (told the Range Rover with caravan already on it to go away) reversed on, stopped short, laid 4 waffles reversed onto them and spent the weekend watching the racing while others sank in the mud as the rain just kept coming.

Monday morning, got more waffle boards out to form a bridge and simply drove off the grass to the hard stuff. It’s no complicated really, fail to plan, plan to fail.

View attachment 119463
Don’t know how many motor homes/vans had to be towed out by the 3 tractor team at Donington but Monday morning I simply drove off my pitch with no help or drama.

I always carry plastic waffle boards / sand ladders, arrived at Donington to a warning from the staff that we would get stuck, found our pitch (told the Range Rover with caravan already on it to go away) reversed on, stopped short, laid 4 waffles reversed onto them and spent the weekend watching the racing while others sank in the mud as the rain just kept coming.

Monday morning, got more waffle boards out to form a bridge and simply drove off the grass to the hard stuff. It’s no complicated really, fail to plan, plan to fail.
well done .

I'll repost these as this thread has come up again...

I carry a set. Not expensive, large or heavy and they really work. They got us across 50m of quagmire once in the Netherlands (5t MH) and after a quick rinse under a tap, they were as good as new.

View attachment 119463

Did you not have the waste tank tap closed ?

And the story is?.......
As it’s 10 years ago and I can’t be put in jail. I had a motorhome full of my daughters friends I took them to Cardiff they had food first then onto a nightclub. Back then you could park in Cardiff bay looking at the boats.
When we picked the food up there was four bread trays saying I’m yours 🤫 the girls thought I was mad and my son chopped the bottoms off for me.
End of the night I took the girls home. It was also the first time some drunk banged the side of the motorhome with his hands made me jump a mile whilst I was dozing waiting for the clubers.
I will never go to heaven ;)

We still have bread mats 10 years on and great story of how I acquired them ; ) stopped lending them out as people drive off leaving them covered in mud !!!

Penny, I'm sure I still have some bread mats somewhere that somebody gave to me to give to you years ago.

Have now been stuck at least 3 times on wet grass on clay. With front wheel drive and more weight on back, even with plenty of deep tread on the tyres, it is a recipe for disaster. Tried the yellow mats, even sitting on them overnight. Absolutely U/S. They just shot out from under the wheels. I like the wood tied through the wheels though. Have any of the members used this trick? Will have to start carrying some rope and wood.

Have now been stuck at least 3 times on wet grass on clay. With front wheel drive and more weight on back, even with plenty of deep tread on the tyres, it is a recipe for disaster. Tried the yellow mats, even sitting on them overnight. Absolutely U/S. They just shot out from under the wheels. I like the wood tied through the wheels though. Have any of the members used this trick? Will have to start carrying some rope and wood.
Only works on a few vehicles, same as anything else you might 'tie' through the wheels it has to clear the brake callipers.

had some unwanted experience last weekend at hereford helping fellow members on/off their pitches , in spite of lee posting “bring something to park on ” many didn’t , when the grass got too wet even the lightest vehicle couldn’t get traction most of the problems were caused by excessive acceleration when a wheel is spinning more revs just mean they spin faster , thankfully a barrow full of gravel and a few bodies leaning on got most vehicles in place late thursday the last few got abandoned and repositioned next day , to be honest it mostly depended on when you arrived even doug‘s heavy automatic got on & off without a problem though his bread crates locked like a bowl they did the job !

Yes, thanks for the reminder. A bit worried about the brake pipes round by the wheels. The wood should be clear, but I will jack the van up and check the ropes will clear everything
The idea is good though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back