Stuck on grass !!

As already said surveying and planning, make sure your driven wheels are nearest the hard stuff if possible.

Always use the correct tool for the job.
landy.png

I carry and have used this...

Our MH is 5t fully laden and this worked really well on the occasion we had to use it (through 50m of sodden ground in the NL a few years ago). It all needs a wash after use obviously but then rolls up and is easy/light to stow.

I carry a manual winch with me and try to park near a tree or something solid enough to attach to.

Sometimes you only have to move the van a few inches to gain some traction.

As a lot of you have said, a bit of forward thinking goes a long way. I park on my mats (similar to the yellow ones shown above) anytime I park on a a grass field regardless of it being dry or not. If you are there a few days you'll inevitably start to sink in the ground even just a little bit. The mats will help spread the weight that little bit and give you that few feet of traction. The other tip is when using ramps if you need to level the van on a slope. Drive up the ramps with the hill rather than against the hill, so gravity (again pointed out earlier) will send you down the hill when you set off down the ramps rather than trying to fight the hill, use it to your advantage.

Having done loads of off road, your best solution is snow chains. Alternatively, waffle boards and keep them on the roof maybe.

Winter tyres have a better tread for grip. Most of the suggestions are a waste of time once you are stuck. The sensible idea seems to do something before you are stuck. If in doubt, walk the ground before you drive it.

At Rhosneigr we all got stuck on what was firm ground in the day but turned into a swamp during the night when we had monsoon type rain.
Campsite owners friend tugged us all out in the smallest Japanese jeep I've ever seen but it had some pulling power!
Same happened to us in NZ, it was like MH ice skating, one MH was turning circles trying to get off.

I recently got stuck on a buggy bit of land. Put mats under front tyres and it didn't help at all. 4 fit gardeners did the trick.
I now have to wash all the thick mud off my mats.

Green Flag from the CAMC will come and get you out so they say. Not had to use it yet. Tried the Milano mats waste of time. I have a couple of waffle boards and blocks of wood if we are going to be parking on fields. I can make ramps or use to put front wheels on if damp.

I parked on an old carpet on the garden of our current house that we were renovating. Flippin carpet wrapped around the wheels. Had to crawl under the mh in thick sticky mud and hack the carpet off in bits.
Was not a happy bunny.
Waited 3 hours to be towed off.
Even less of a happy bunny.

cut the bottoms out of bread trays and park on them
We still have bread mats 10 years on and great story of how I acquired them ; ) stopped lending them out as people drive off leaving them covered in mud !!!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back