Stop start technology?

When I started work I used to get sent out to service generators at rural farms and properties who had no mains elec supply these used to stop when the last demand for power was turned off and would start again when demand was resumed there was no starter the generator would spin until the eng started then switch to supplying mains power. Lister Start a Matic was one there were others
I installed a 3 KvA Lister diesel generator that was built in 1937 at the Farm Cottage we rented when newly married. It had the automatic start/stop fitted. Unfortunately the shed it stood inside at Hamsterley Forest was blown over in a gale damaging the panel and that function never worked properly. It had a double flywheel, single cylinder and a 90 gallon water cooling tank. There was no water pump, just natural circulation, I overhauled the cylinder head and parts were readily available off the shelf at British Engines, Newcastle in the early 1970's. It ran (from memory) at 650 rpm. I got the electric starter working eventually and I dreaded hand cranking it because if it kicked back on you, your wrists suffered badly. :giggle:

I believe that Rolls Royce made a small single phase genset from around the same time (1930's) that ran at 450 rpm. I think they were better Engineers back then.

I bought a 185 from a chap round the corner because his dad said it was leaking oil on his nice garage floor :unsure:
Got it pushed home and it was the ex ring which was weeping 2 stroke oil and dripping burned oil, it also had a seized
Fork leg on one side & a new battery was required, well i bought it for £50 sorced a f leg and battery then tightend the ex clamp,
All in £70, sold that week for £185 to a first time biker chap, back pocket buldging that week.;)

Don't forget that they are manufactured to take the extra abuse, we had the Fiesta diesel for over four years, mainly town work and it did almost 40k never a problem with the stop start part of the car.

Don't forget that they are manufactured to take the extra abuse, we had the Fiesta diesel for over four years, mainly town work and it did almost 40k never a problem with the stop start part of the car.
40k do you ever go out, this is mileage.
skoda a.jpg

A call from Fiat today and apparently the original owner bought an additional year's warranty which is transferable to me. The guy was very helpful and says he will see what they can do to make amends.
Not holding my mind breath though 😉

A call from Fiat today and apparently the original owner bought an additional year's warranty which is transferable to me. The guy was very helpful and says he will see what they can do to make amends.
Not holding my mind breath though 😉
I drive a mercedes benz and must make amends, oh lord wont you give a mercedes benz. 😂

My wife’s car is nearly 10 years old and has been stop starting for 60,000+ miles with no problems. Original battery, starter and ring gear.

I bought a wiring harness to cancel the stop start on my T6.1 Transporter £12 from aliexpress been on my van now 2 years.

I think people forget they are designed to cope with it and mostly it isn't an issue unless you constantly drive in stop start traffic.

I think people forget they are designed to cope with it and mostly it isn't an issue unless you constantly drive in stop start traffic.
I think it is also part of the Euro 6 etc status and sooner or later the MOT is going to start picking up on compliance with the emission status.

All my recent work vans (relays/boxers )
Have never had an issue with any of the stop start side of things up to the 150k that we've put on them up to them being 3 years old .....

The rest of the components ....

One replacement engine at 70k due to a faulty cold start sensor injecting too much diesel and wiping the,bottom end out

Another replacement engine at 80k due to head gasket failing and dumping coolant into the oil
Issue after issue with the adblue systems

Electrical problems (the standard heater fan fails)
Bluetooth/sat nav fails

Etc etc etc

Fortunately I don't pay for them BUT not a chance I'd buy one with my own money ...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:177)

Robmac, RichardHelen262, Jo001, Tezza33, trevskoda, andyjanet, molly 2, JVG, number14, TeamRienza, mark61, barryd, Bigshug, runnach, AllanD, maingate, witzend, DTF, stonedaddy, 1 Cup, Boris7, Canalsman, Fazerloz, guerdeval, mistericeman, UFO, r4dent, REC, Dowel, denmar, korky, ewen, jagmanx, Lefty, Wooie1958, Fifer, Topmast, ajb70, jas900, panedda, Sheringham4, ricc, alcam, Silew, CraigGould, islander, big tom, barrypat, 1977paul, Martin P, colinm, Livotlout, Wully, Pudsey Bear, Heppy, vtwinner, NSY, davep10000, peejay, Rumour, Monkeybrand, jennyp19, Peter51, yeoblade, Possy, pamjon, Alberto, TJBi, AndyJL, roady987, mariesnowgoose, Motoroamer, boggie, Adriafan, myvanwy, allgardens, wildebus, Okta, sandya, ironman, Tim120, Bazza1509, Mobilvetta, Dezi, RSD7a, raggeevets, horlicks, clarkpeacock, Bubble, GMJ, RAW, Bouydog, davidm, Elfit, marchie, Thistle, SimonM, MikeRS, Grappelli2, Dethy, The Hawk, 2cv, G and T, topchook, wrp, barge1914, Val54, jacquigem, QFour, Steve and Julie, Gerry Attrick, Glass man, Fisherman, bjh, matbic, grobpilot, roadroamer, bnb080, Dave7284, Polar Bear, gabby82, winks, helmit, trevexess, jann, bentonaj, CuckooChaser, JQB, Canonball, Camper1, Harrers, flying kipper, belbri, longtoedsloth, Mossystone, Obanboy666, exwindsurfer, bikerscan, Beechowl, Sammy Swift, trooper2000, Sgrockle, st3v3, smg, gettingolder2, dvla3336, Andrewhr, A11EEY, rustydog, Budgie, WingNut, euro28, stroller, ladyhamilton, Neckender, Rob H, Greengrass, Ken Parsons, bazil, Tarquinuk, Hamewilldaeme, BKCharles, mcgolem, paulhelenwilko, Charlynch, jimireland, Markd, kevlakes, suzesunflower, Joe, Weefifer, Rodders1234, DAVEY, terrywolf, edina, sydnsue, VandA,
Back