Stop start technology?

Why if so many people dislike stop start do they just not have a switch on the dash that makes it either on or off permanently? That's what I have on my honda vision which to be honest I find pointless anyway on such a frugal bike. It's instant though as there is no starter motor. I'm often behind cars with it on and there is definitely a delay as you hear the traditional starter motor fire up at the lights. Crap invention.

First thing I did when I bought a 5 series tourer was code out the dangerous stop start system using a bmw coding tool.
Yep, some vehicles you can turn off within the vehicle settings menu and others are more complex and need a Coding Tool or similar which many garages will have but that might cost more than buying your own. In the long run you are better off buying your own but do a lot of research first to find out which Code Reader / Reset Tool will work with your vehicle.

I had trouble with ABS & engine warning lights on my car, so a few tracks cut on clock c board and some jumper wires to lights that did go out after a few seconds got me through the test, pics a tad blury as to close but you will get my drift.
wireing a.jpg
wireing b.jpg
wireing c.jpg

Why if so many people dislike stop start do they just not have a switch on the dash that makes it either on or off permanently? That's what I have on my honda vision which to be honest I find pointless anyway on such a frugal bike. It's instant though as there is no starter motor. I'm often behind cars with it on and there is definitely a delay as you hear the traditional starter motor fire up at the lights. Crap invention.
The S.S. on the Hondas is pretty instantaneous, my PCX ,like yours, must be less then a second to work.
My cars system is a bit smarter, having a radar system on the front it doesn't turn off when you're stationary but waiting to pull away, i.e. waiting at a junction or roundabout, but does if there if another stationary car In front of you, but then detects when the car in front moves and starts the engine ready to go before you touch the throttle. Slightly more tolerable, but generally just turn it off unless in roadworks queues. It will always do more damage than good to the vehicle

The S.S. on the Hondas is pretty instantaneous, my PCX ,like yours, must be less then a second to work.
My cars system is a bit smarter, having a radar system on the front it doesn't turn off when you're stationary but waiting to pull away, i.e. waiting at a junction or roundabout, but does if there if another stationary car In front of you, but then detects when the car in front moves and starts the engine ready to go before you touch the throttle. Slightly more tolerable, but generally just turn it off unless in roadworks queues. It will always do more damage than good to the vehicle

It's kind of weird the start on the vision which is as you say probably the same as your pcx as there is no starter motor sound or delay. Who ever thought this was a good idea in cars where the car has a starter motor and the stop start had to constantly turn that over not only causing a delay but a significant wear on an expensive component is crackers.

It's right up there with car boots you used to slam down in milliseconds and the new ones where you have to press a button and half an hour later it closes 🤣

Good find. Interesting. It is excellent. It's like magic. No starting noise at all. Vehicle manufacturers should take note of that simple switch. It's on or off. That's it.

I doubt I'll save much though so seldom have it on as I'm rarely stuck in traffic. I used it down your way though in Bridport! Nightmare that place at times.

We had it on the fiesta, it was okay but on a hot day the AC would go off or it would start on its own due to lack of amps I assume, the MG has the EV motor so in town it usually just sets off in that until you demand more oomph AC not affected.

The Fiesta did have a switch but it saves fuel so it remained on.

How does it start after being stood for months?

Edit,

Just seen Julians post.

Edit,

Just seen Julians post

Edit,

Just seen Julians post.
Like magic. Just works. Not sure how long it got left over winter. Four or five months I would think. No problem. I always assumed it maybe stored up power on some magnetic gyro thing in my head but after watching Julian's video I don't think it's that. 😁 Rightly or wrongly I assumed as it's not turning over it won't need much battery power to start.

The Honda S Stop is a combined alternator/starter system, there is a Hond article on how it works, somwhere I read, but cant find it now.
When I started work I used to get sent out to service generators at rural farms and properties who had no mains elec supply these used to stop when the last demand for power was turned off and would start again when demand was resumed there was no starter the generator would spin until the eng started then switch to supplying mains power. Lister Start a Matic was one there were others

When I started work I used to get sent out to service generators at rural farms and properties who had no mains elec supply these used to stop when the last demand for power was turned off and would start again when demand was resumed there was no starter the generator would spin until the eng started then switch to supplying mains power. Lister Start a Matic was one there were others
Dynastarts were very popular once upon a time too ...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:177)

Robmac, RichardHelen262, Jo001, Tezza33, trevskoda, andyjanet, molly 2, JVG, number14, TeamRienza, mark61, barryd, Bigshug, runnach, AllanD, maingate, witzend, DTF, stonedaddy, 1 Cup, Boris7, Canalsman, Fazerloz, guerdeval, mistericeman, UFO, r4dent, REC, Dowel, denmar, korky, ewen, jagmanx, Lefty, Wooie1958, Fifer, Topmast, ajb70, jas900, panedda, Sheringham4, ricc, alcam, Silew, CraigGould, islander, big tom, barrypat, 1977paul, Martin P, colinm, Livotlout, Wully, Pudsey Bear, Heppy, vtwinner, NSY, davep10000, peejay, Rumour, Monkeybrand, jennyp19, Peter51, yeoblade, Possy, pamjon, Alberto, TJBi, AndyJL, roady987, mariesnowgoose, Motoroamer, boggie, Adriafan, myvanwy, allgardens, wildebus, Okta, sandya, ironman, Tim120, Bazza1509, Mobilvetta, Dezi, RSD7a, raggeevets, horlicks, clarkpeacock, Bubble, GMJ, RAW, Bouydog, davidm, Elfit, marchie, Thistle, SimonM, MikeRS, Grappelli2, Dethy, The Hawk, 2cv, G and T, topchook, wrp, barge1914, Val54, jacquigem, QFour, Steve and Julie, Gerry Attrick, Glass man, Fisherman, bjh, matbic, grobpilot, roadroamer, bnb080, Dave7284, Polar Bear, gabby82, winks, helmit, trevexess, jann, bentonaj, CuckooChaser, JQB, Canonball, Camper1, Harrers, flying kipper, belbri, longtoedsloth, Mossystone, Obanboy666, exwindsurfer, bikerscan, Beechowl, Sammy Swift, trooper2000, Sgrockle, st3v3, smg, gettingolder2, dvla3336, Andrewhr, A11EEY, rustydog, Budgie, WingNut, euro28, stroller, ladyhamilton, Neckender, Rob H, Greengrass, Ken Parsons, bazil, Tarquinuk, Hamewilldaeme, BKCharles, mcgolem, paulhelenwilko, Charlynch, jimireland, Markd, kevlakes, suzesunflower, Joe, Weefifer, Rodders1234, DAVEY, terrywolf, edina, sydnsue, VandA,
Back