Stop start technology?

RichardP

At 29 months old my Ducato based Swift Select decided to Stop but not Start in heavy roadworks traffic. The AA tested the battery and said it failed, but to his credit didn't try to sell me one, saying it should be covered by warranty.
Both Fiat and Varta disagree and I'm now facing a £300 bill for a replacement Bosch with a 5 year warranty from Kwik Fit (who at least are likely to honour the guarantee) or maybe £75 less elsewhere ffor

At 29 months old my Ducato based Swift Select decided to Stop but not Start in heavy roadworks traffic. The AA tested the battery and said it failed, but to his credit didn't try to sell me one, saying it should be covered by warranty.
Both Fiat and Varta disagree and I'm now facing a £300 bill for a replacement Bosch with a 5 year warranty from Kwik Fit (who at least are likely to honour the guarantee) or maybe £75 less elsewhere ffor
Under the Consumer Rights Act you have up to six years to claim for goods supplied that are of unsatisfactory quality.

Your contract is not with Fiat or Varta but with the supplying dealer.

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have up to six years to claim for goods supplied that are of unsatisfactory quality.

Your contract is not with Fiat or Varta but with the supplying dealer.
True but after the first year you may have to foot the legal bill until you win, and if the dealer has stopped trading then no warrenty.

It’s near impossible to delete the stop start system in some newer vehicles it’s so imbedded into there system I have two vans one crafter one a MAN and have tried and asked people in the know and been told it’s inesr impossible because it’s done from factory and will upset other stuff.

Your Bosch stop start battery you will find in Costco a fair bit cheaper and they are very good with the warranty should you need it.

I just bought the same Bosch battery for my 4 year old start stop Sevel van for £189 delivered next day from BMS technologies. Fitted it last night.

Like yours, it had deactivated the start stop due to insufficient battery power.

(Bosch S5A15)

It’s near impossible to delete the stop start system in some newer vehicles it’s so imbedded into there system I have two vans one crafter one a MAN and have tried and asked people in the know and been told it’s inesr impossible because it’s done from factory and will upset other stuff.

Your Bosch stop start battery you will find in Costco a fair bit cheaper and they are very good with the warranty should you need it.
I bet i could make a workaround to stop it working and go back to normal use, the day i was beat i was not there. 😂

The stop start system is a pain in the arse and is very easy to turn off in my VW although it does reset itself everytime you start the engine.

You soon get used to automatically turning it off by a simple push button after you start the vehicle.

I wish I could permanently disable the lane departure/ jerk my steering wheel "aid" on my Citroen (car). It drives me demented.

Turn off Stop/Start in the vehicle settings, use a decent charger to fully charge and recondition the battery, see how you go ?

First thing I did when I bought a 5 series tourer was code out the dangerous stop start system using a bmw coding tool.
It was far too eager and would often turn off the engine at roundabouts just when I needed to pull away

The car had 80,000 miles on it at the time I bought it but the damage has already been done by the previous owner and the starter is now becoming increasingly intermittent

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:177)

Robmac, RichardHelen262, Jo001, Tezza33, trevskoda, andyjanet, molly 2, JVG, number14, TeamRienza, mark61, barryd, Bigshug, runnach, AllanD, maingate, witzend, DTF, stonedaddy, 1 Cup, Boris7, Canalsman, Fazerloz, guerdeval, mistericeman, UFO, r4dent, REC, Dowel, denmar, korky, ewen, jagmanx, Lefty, Wooie1958, Fifer, Topmast, ajb70, jas900, panedda, Sheringham4, ricc, alcam, Silew, CraigGould, islander, big tom, barrypat, 1977paul, Martin P, colinm, Livotlout, Wully, Pudsey Bear, Heppy, vtwinner, NSY, davep10000, peejay, Rumour, Monkeybrand, jennyp19, Peter51, yeoblade, Possy, pamjon, Alberto, TJBi, AndyJL, roady987, mariesnowgoose, Motoroamer, boggie, Adriafan, myvanwy, allgardens, wildebus, Okta, sandya, ironman, Tim120, Bazza1509, Mobilvetta, Dezi, RSD7a, raggeevets, horlicks, clarkpeacock, Bubble, GMJ, RAW, Bouydog, davidm, Elfit, marchie, Thistle, SimonM, MikeRS, Grappelli2, Dethy, The Hawk, 2cv, G and T, topchook, wrp, barge1914, Val54, jacquigem, QFour, Steve and Julie, Gerry Attrick, Glass man, Fisherman, bjh, matbic, grobpilot, roadroamer, bnb080, Dave7284, Polar Bear, gabby82, winks, helmit, trevexess, jann, bentonaj, CuckooChaser, JQB, Canonball, Camper1, Harrers, flying kipper, belbri, longtoedsloth, Mossystone, Obanboy666, exwindsurfer, bikerscan, Beechowl, Sammy Swift, trooper2000, Sgrockle, st3v3, smg, gettingolder2, dvla3336, Andrewhr, A11EEY, rustydog, Budgie, WingNut, euro28, stroller, ladyhamilton, Neckender, Rob H, Greengrass, Ken Parsons, bazil, Tarquinuk, Hamewilldaeme, BKCharles, mcgolem, paulhelenwilko, Charlynch, jimireland, Markd, kevlakes, suzesunflower, Joe, Weefifer, Rodders1234, DAVEY, terrywolf, edina, sydnsue, VandA,
Back