Stealth Camper

belbri

A stealth camper is to me, a vehicle converted in such a manner as to appear invisible ie. in that no one would guess there are people asleep inside.
We have such a camper and I will freely admit that on occasions if we cannot find a rural site we do stay in places a motorhome would probably be challenged, The only giveaway in the Winter is the noise from the Eberspacher heater which on tickover just maintaining temperature is pretty quiet.
When wilding, normally one night, our aim is for discreet and considerate camping, trying to arrive late and leave early.
We enjoy exploring new places, in the last 3 years we have covered around 70,000 miles around the UK mostly weekends with occasional week (grandchildren permitting).
Occasionally when parked on a site we look briefly at the room and comfort in custom built motorhomes. Then we remember going up Hardnott Pass 1in3, Wrynose Pass or dropping down into Lynmouth maybe Lizard Point and averaging 40plus mpg, we wouldn't change anything.

What are your thoughts?

As you slide down the bannister of life may the splinters all face in the right direction.

I don't feel the need to hide the fact that I'm asleep inside my legally parked vehicle 🚗

Looked long and hard at both PVC's and C class motorhomes when I sold my newish caravan and 4 x 4.
Decided at my stage of life need all the comforts of home ie. Proper toilet, shower, proper bed and loads of space.
My motorhome suits my style of travelling but I often look at PVC's parked up in Town and village centres, something I cannot do which on occasions with my dodgy knees can be a problem.
Both have their good and bad points it just depends on what suits you best.

I looked at various campers and then decided what I wanted / needed was a stealth camper so I needed full size bed, being 6ft 4in , and a heater, so I bought a VW T5 van and insulated it ply lined and carpeted the walls and floor, bought a Cannons Forge full width bed and a Eberspacher heater kit that is fitted under the drivers seat and then a leisure battery with split charger under the passenger seat, 20.000 miles and 3 years later I still don't want to change my van.
I use my gas camping stove to boil the kettle and to make the bacon sarnies, they taste better when cooked outside, I feel a T5 is too small for a full conversion for me, but everyone to there own.
I met an old guy in Castle Douglas last year who travels all over in his Bedford Rascal with his westie and he said it is the van keeping him alive, his wife has passed away, because he loves to meet with people and chat but if he was sitting at home watching the tv he would just fade away.
Now that's what vans are about.

I don't feel the need to hide the fact that I'm asleep inside my legally parked vehicle 🚗

So does a stealth camper have windows or is it like being in a prison cell with a skylight ?
I love Being in my motorhome looking at our beautiful landscape, couldn't imagine being in a van without a view apart fro the front cab windows, not my idea of motorhoming.

A couple of years ago we were going to Scarborough pulled in a lay-by and there was a couple of MHs staying the night one was an elderly man and his dog we got talking to him and he said the same his van gets him out and about as sak says that is what vans are for and hopefully that will be me and OH :camper:

So does a stealth camper have windows or is it like being in a prison cell with a skylight ?
I love Being in my motorhome looking at our beautiful landscape, couldn't imagine being in a van without a view apart fro the front cab windows, not my idea of motorhoming.

Wouldn't know as I don't have one. Why would you ask me? :confused:

We too like our comforts, shower bed space central heating etc, wouldn't like to stay in a small (stealthy) van, keep yourself legal and use common sense and no one will bother you, no need to be sneaky about it so to speak

My van is I think a reasonable compromise between stealth and size, being a hi top and with just one extra window in the sliding side door.

Can fit anywhere except under height barriers, and has a separate loo cubicle and a built in galley, diesel heater.

Nice and comfy, you can access the galley and loo with standing space even with the bed made up, with loads of storage inside the living space and behind the rear doors.

No way is it everyones cup of tea (I guess most MH owners wouldn't be seen dead in my LDV) but does the job for us very nicely.

My thoughts
You have attempted to make a silk purse out of a sows ear because you can't afford a decent motorhome.

We too like our comforts, shower bed space central heating etc, wouldn't like to stay in a small (stealthy) van, keep yourself legal and use common sense and no one will bother you, no need to be sneaky about it so to speak

Wildcamping is illegal in England no matter what vehicle you have.

My thoughts
You have attempted to make a silk purse out of a sows ear because you can't afford a decent motorhome.

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

for me its practicalities and money

ive got a lwb semi high top mk5 transit , use it for work, takes under an hour to clear it out, theres shelving behind the half height bulk head which will take the two burner gas hob ,porta potti slides underneath, throw in a couple of big bottles of water , and a double futon affair in the back and were good for a couple of summer nights.

some insulation would be nice and a window in the side door, but at the moment were both working, supervising elderly parents ,longer stays away arnt going to happen for a year or two .

total cost of van and the bits .. less than 1500.

when weve retired and got no family to look after we may reasses.
but it will be some sort of self conversion not a factory job . and no bigger than the transit , cos it just fits a standard car park space. 4wd is near the top of the non essential wish list.

My thoughts
those of us with indecent motorhomes would like to apologise for not being able to afford better.
sometimes i despair !

My thoughts

Alternatively, someone with some skill/talent looked at what was available commercially and thought I could do a better job, make it more suited to my needs and save money in the process.

Have you seen the quality of some of the commercial built motorhomes, it aint great?

Would you mind referring us to the legislation that you are relying on for that conclusion?

Just had a look on the internet and it states you have no legal right to camp anywhere in England without the landowners permission ( except Dartmoor common ) as every piece of land is owned by someone.
So if you have permission to camp surely it is not wild camping and if you have too many camping in the same spot you get into planning permission etc.
I obviously think you should be allowed to roam free and should be severely punished for littering etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back