State of emergency Spain and Portugal

Advice just now on radio 4, "Make choices based on your own sense of risk".
You cant leave it to individuals in cases like this ...there are too many selfish FU people out there ..

Agree. I think governments have all been slow to react to the crisis, some more than others, and the lack of good Public Health Advice right from the beginning has been appalling.

In the words of the song...
"Boris Johnson is a CLOWN, and everybody knows it..
I may have spelled "Clown" incorrectly!

So you don't go with out Ordes taken now :LOL: :LOL:

20200314_134623.jpg

Just back from Madeira, and reading about what they are doing to protect their citizens. On Tuesday when I was there they banned all cruise liners a massive decision for an island that makes 60% of its income from tourism. Then today they have banned all flights from countries were the virus has been found. I am trying not be over critical of our government, but it seems like we are putting money before lives, and Madeira is putting lives before money.

Just back from Madeira, and reading about what they are doing to protect their citizens. On Tuesday when I was there they banned all cruise liners a massive decision for an island that makes 60% of its income from tourism. Then today they have banned all flights from countries were the virus has been found. I am trying not be over critical of our government, but it seems like we are putting money before lives, and Madeira is putting lives before money.
Not over critical
Too slow or Too lazy or Too stupid just my opinion

I'll try not to be overly political (ok, maybe I'm fibbing a bit on that one)...

When did the current government ever put citizens' lives before money? :)
In fact, it would be a distinct advantage to them if lots of us died, not that they care one way or the other.

And some say Donald T was over-reacting.
I do not like the man but he was doing his job in protecting USA..discuss ?

In the words of the song...
"Boris Johnson is a CLOWN, and everybody knows it..
I may have spelled "Clown" incorrectly!

So what would you do if you had this lot dumped in your lap. 66+ million peoples lives in your hands. No one knows what will happen. It's evident that just locking things down could cause a dip in cases but what do you do when the riots start and people get fed up of being under curfew.

I know call in the Army and start shooting.

Last edited:
In Portugal it would seem that a lot of campsites will not accept new visitors from Monday 16th March for around two weeks. We are at Mikki’s Place for now, can think of far worse places to get stuck at. Weather taking a downturn mid next week for a few days so will just have to chill out for a while.
Hopefully we won’t be too affected here but at least it’s warm. Stay safe.

So what would you do if you had this lot dumped in your lap. 66+ million peoples lives in your hands. No one knows what will happen. It's evident that just locking things down could cause a dip in cases but what do you do when the riots start and people get fed up of being under curfew.

Yes Very very difficult..but he has seen what happened in Italy..some Social distancing would have been a start...
I find the phrase "We will make the right decisions at the right time based on the best scientific evidence."
Similar to "Collective responsibility" ( Maggie Thatcher)
Or "Weapons of Mass Destruction" (Tony Blair)
Fundamentally a denial of responsibility
I am not a "red under the bed" but ....
ALSO He wanted the job !

Follow the examples of the successful countries....too late now.....keep people really well informed. I really believe that with the right info the fast majority of people would comply.
There can't be many folk who don't have a friend with asthma or a heart problem or know someone with a child who has health problems.
They might not care about the elderly but we all have someone....

And some say Donald T was over-reacting.
I do not like the man but he was doing his job in protecting USA..discuss ?

Tbh, it's a really hard call on what to do for the best.

With a major global emergency like this they have to tread a very dangerous line in the balancing act of how to react and when to be pro-active.
Since this pandemic is like none we've ever had before it will test most governments to the limit.

And before anyone tries to say it shouldn't be difficult and they should 'get their act together', it is NOT the same as the flu pandemics of the past.

"World War I claimed an estimated 16 million lives. The influenza epidemic that swept the world in 1918 killed an estimated 50 million people. One fifth of the world's population was attacked by this deadly virus. Within months, it had killed more people than any other illness in recorded history. It lasted 15 months".

In 1917 the global population was 1.9 billion. In 2020 the global population is 7.8 billion.
There were no international air flights or mass private vehicle usage in 2017, and any international travel was generally restricted to the wealthy.

I'm useless with maths, but a crude calculation based on the above suggests that possibly 200 million people could die?
I know there are a lot of "modern day" factors to throw in the mix which might alter this, but it's as good a guesstimate as any.

However, it could well be that it is under control in a lot less time than in previous pandemics, probably because the speed at which it can travel across the globe nowadays is a helluva lot quicker than in 2018. The final death toll is anyone's guess. Just have to wait and see.

Unfortunately for us Brits, we've had a fair amount of neglect/underfunding/mismanagement/profiteering going on over several years with our Health Service in particular, but also with all the other supporting services - social, police, fire, emergency etc.

When we get side blinded by a pandemic like this current one it's no wonder we're going to be caught with our pants well down.

The government are desperately trying to 'flatten the spike' to try and prevent health services being completely overwhelmed, so don't expect any Trump-like reactions from BoJo & co any time soon. As for getting enough medics in place to care for those who become seriously ill in the next few months, just have to cross your fingers and shut your eyes!

Of course it's scary for a lot of folk, me included, but I also see the very dark humorous side too.
I'm fascinated to see how it all develops as we go along - if I live long enough to see it and come out the other end, that is! ;) 🙏

Oh, and we were nowhere near as 'globalised' commercially in 1918 as we are now!

Chuck that into the mix for a really, really big rollercoaster of a ride!!

An article in the Telegraph sums it up saying that the people in Asia have been doing what they have been told to do. When the Government says stay at home that is what they do. They don't start belly aching about not being able to go to the football or down the pub or taking the MH out. They just get on with life the best they can observing the rules that have been laid down. They certainly don't criticise the leaders and start asking for reports to be written so they can be scrutinised. We need to batten down the hatches, keep away from others and wait it out. It's going to be a long summer. After the buying frenzies of the last few days I wonder how much will go in the bin.

No. Nobody knows exactly how it will pan out regardless of where you are.
(pan out - you see what did there?! ;) 😁 )

Advice just now on radio 4, "Make choices based on your own sense of risk".
Seems reasonable. It's most infectious when in close groups (proximity).

If you're out and about in your motorhome just stock up with supplies if/when needed and take all sensible precautions, especially if you are in the high risk group for potential death.

There's talk that a lot of big chains will be in dire straits, possibly going bust, if widespread lockdowns & restrictions continue for longer than the next 2 months.

Apparently we need to have 95% immunity (herd immunity) within the population for the disease not to return, otherwise we could get another spike, maybe next winter or next year - hypothetically. There needs to be enough people to catch the virus whilst trying to protect the most vulnerable, i.e. elderly and those with underlying health conditions, while this process is happening.

Makes sense to me!

Herd immunity is a dangerous assumption. The common cold is a coronavirus. How many have you had in your lifetime?

I started this thread as a means of communicating with fellow travellers issues with borders road closures.
things that may help people make a decision on whether or go or stay.
it seems to have become anything but that
any one have ideas of how to get back on track with first hand info of people who are here

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back