Spare wheel fiasco in the Highlands, again!

Red Dwarf

I know this has been a topic of discussion before....

I took my car for an MOT earlier in the week, the garage is also a recovery agent here in the far north. Anyway, the guy there told me about what happened last Saturday morning.
A van in Durness had a puncture, on arriving it was evident the tyre was not repairable. The nearest new tyre was just north of Inverness, the tyre shop was now closed until Monday morning. The van was recovered to the tyre shop over the weekend, the van owners found a B&B at Durness and then took a taxi on Monday to collect their van. They had to buy a pair of tyres as the remaining tyre on the axle was quite worn.
The very mild mannered recovery agent finished telling me the story by adding ‘whoever thought that a vehicle need not carry a spare wheel was a good idea should be shot!’.

Personally, I would use a vehicle without a spare wheel. I’ve mentioned this before, don’t travel to the far north without a spare, you can be a hundred miles from a new tyre here.

had similar in portugal i was in algarve tyre had to come from lisbon took 3 days parked up on garage forecourt they couldn’t have been more helpful but everything in portugal shuts for the weekend, had only had the van 3 months got new wheel soon as i got back

We always joke that north of Inverness “there be dragons” as it seems anything north of Inverness doesn’t count. When we track online orders they just stop being tracked once they get to Inverness. Sometimes they’ve even marked as “delivered” signed for by the carrier.

If that sounds like a complaint, it isn’t, it is just how it is and still worth all the other benefits of living here. And, when we go south on holiday in our van we rarely get further than Inverness (just occasionally we venture all the way down to Edinburgh 😂).

Red Dwarf is definitely right though, best to make sure you’re prepared to be semi stranded.

My (used) camper came with a spare wheel, however, as it was not like those fitted (alloys on but spare was a standard metal rim), I tested a wheel change at home. The stud pattern matched but the centre bore didn't and the spare wouldn't go on! Anyway, a new wheel was ordered and all is fine now.
So, if you have a spare and your van was not bought new, it is worthwhile ensuring that all your kit will do the job (wrench socket fits, you know where the jacking points are, you have a jack that will lift your van when fully loaded).
Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare but each to their own... like Pudsey Bear said above, carrying a spare tyre if going to remote regions is probably a good idea (but then again, a spare tyre is the same size as a spare wheel).

Well worth buying a telescopic wheelbrace and making sure the socket fits AND a decent bottle jack to replace the usually woeful original
As well as making sure however the spare is secured (cradle etc) will release.... Lost count the amount I've had to strip and copaslip the lowering mechanism on over the years.

I know this has been a topic of discussion before....

I took my car for an MOT earlier in the week, the garage is also a recovery agent here in the far north. Anyway, the guy there told me about what happened last Saturday morning.
A van in Durness had a puncture, on arriving it was evident the tyre was not repairable. The nearest new tyre was just north of Inverness, the tyre shop was now closed until Monday morning. The van was recovered to the tyre shop over the weekend, the van owners found a B&B at Durness and then took a taxi on Monday to collect their van. They had to buy a pair of tyres as the remaining tyre on the axle was quite worn.
The very mild mannered recovery agent finished telling me the story by adding ‘whoever thought that a vehicle need not carry a spare wheel was a good idea should be shot!’.

Personally, I would use a vehicle without a spare wheel. I’ve mentioned this before, don’t travel to the far north without a spare, you can be a hundred miles from a new tyre here.
There is an opening for the recovery company . "selling tyres"

Not a tyre situation but stranded for sure. Top of Bealach Na Ba, pop goes power steering high pressure pipe! Came straight out the top of the pump! Hmm don't carry a spare funnily enough but do carry water, food and gas. Called recovery, after they eventually found on a map where we were the said that they will arrange recovery. My reply was" not tonight thank you, send someone in the morning" then I needed to explain why I didn't fancy being on the back of a truck or a spec in the dark from up there.
Loch Carron garage recovered us the following morning and the guy thanked me for telling them to leave it until the following morning. Been sat here 2 days next to the loch waiting for parts to arrive and for them to find time to fit it. Not a bad spot to be. Quite happy....
Our View...
20210929_140339.jpg

Spare wheel for me..
2019 puncture just outside Interlaken.
Breakdown arrived and swapped.
This was Friday 5pm
We drove back to Interlaken and organised a replacement tyre and fitting but not intil the Wednesday.
But we could return to the campsite and wait in the comfort and convenience of our vehicle. No expensive hotels and meals out.
As already posted we needed 2 tyres as the spare was too old.
Now we have a decent spare !

Well worth buying a telescopic wheelbrace and making sure the socket fits AND a decent bottle jack to replace the usually woeful original
As well as making sure however the spare is secured (cradle etc) will release.... Lost count the amount I've had to strip and copaslip the lowering mechanism on over the years.
Not only get, let your wife get used to playing with a big bar. Even let her loose on your nuts to show it can really work ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back