Spare wheel fiasco in the Highlands, again!

I carry a long torque bar for nuts, flat lever to lift the wheel up a inch or so to line up with the studs, next thing I'm buying is a couple of tyre inflating gunk.
I do believe when you cannot change a wheel its time to give up and hand the licence in, do remember its an offense to drive on an underinflated or damaged wheel.
A few years ago I ordered two tyres from a mobile tyre fitter. He rolled up and discovered that he was unable to undo the wheel nuts. He tried with an air impact driver, an electric impact driver and with a REALLY long bar on the socket. A garage had over-tightened them.

I bought the tyres elsewhere and they had no trouble undoing the nuts, but they used a much bigger impact driver.

Last month, I took my car to have a puncture fixed. It took two of the tyre fitters to get the nuts undone. Before I left, I got them to loosen and re-torque all the wheel nuts. Again, a garage had over-tightened them.

If a tyre fitting professional can't undo the wheels, perhaps you should reconsider your assertion.

A few years ago I ordered two tyres from a mobile tyre fitter. He rolled up and discovered that he was unable to undo the wheel nuts. He tried with an air impact driver, an electric impact driver and with a REALLY long bar on the socket. A garage had over-tightened them.

I bought the tyres elsewhere and they had no trouble undoing the nuts, but they used a much bigger impact driver.

Last month, I took my car to have a puncture fixed. It took two of the tyre fitters to get the nuts undone. Before I left, I got them to loosen and re-torque all the wheel nuts. Again, a garage had over-tightened them.

If a tyre fitting professional can't undo the wheels, perhaps you should reconsider your assertion.
No its your duty to make sure all is well with any VH you use, I point blank refuse to let tyre fitters tighten my nuts. :eek:

I always insist on hand tightening of wheel nuts before torquing rather than impact wrench followed by a check that the torque applied is not less than the correct figure!!

For really heavy wheels there is a way of fitting them that doesn't require lifting them. Used this technique to refit rear tractor wheels where there is no chance of lifting them!. Roll the wheel to the hub, turn the hub to the studs are in the right position then use the jack to line up the studs to wheel holes, then push and lever the wheel across till you can get a couple of nuts on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back