Spain/Portugal where are you?

i know paul is conscious of his length of time in residence and nips over the border to keep himself legal, but every expat knows another expat that is driving around in english registered car for 3-4 years with no tax mot insurance etc,

i know paul is conscious of his length of time in residence and nips over the border to keep himself legal, but every expat knows another expat that is driving around in english registered car for 3-4 years with no tax mot insurance etc,

True, Ken.
We're on a Neighbourhood watch scheme.
The same slim-hipped, dark-eyed, young cops, patrol our lane, and play Jenny up something rotten.
I'm sure that they're fully aware of what we're up to, so it's sensible not to make waves.
If we do need help, 24/24 ,we just have to dial a number.
And it's a good excuse to stir our stumps after Xmas.
Rota again in a month or so, we think.

i agree with you graham there is taking a chance then there is taking the p*** , a mate in torreiveija was telling me of a guy who got caught driving his car with tax disc two years out of date and veh was impounded when he went to recover it would have been more than the car was worth so he said he wouldn’t bother, he went to drive away in his wife’s car they checked that & impounded that as well!

It's scary how selfish they are, it's me and mine that could get damaged with no recourse to anyone...

Anyhow,

I am still in Albufeira, then heading north to Portalegre, then Coimbra for New Year, before Porto.

There I will be following the river Douro across Portugal and Spain.

A few nice places to visit along the way, before deciding to take the coast road (D810 or A63) or the tunnel at Chandanchu, over the border into France.

As ever all advice and guidance mist welcome.

:egg:

there was a retired police inspector in spain adamant that he didn’t need a to have his motorhome taxed as that was simply for uk roads , he had an mot and said he was insured, i do begrudge all tax but for the sake of £200 wouldn’t want to argue the point in a foreign land in a foreign language,

I understand that a Motorhome has to fully legal in it's country of registration, when travelling through Spain.
I Believe this came in about 12 years ago? Not sure about the test of the EU.
Before then, before boarding the ferry, I used to post the tax disc back to DVLA and SORN it.

Snip:

As ever all advice and guidance mist welcome. Snip...

Safe trip, Ed, keep warm.

I see that you are already practicing your French Language..
You sound like the British spy/ Gendarme in Allo Allo !

Surely no MOT means no insurance?

But if they still have a current MOT they'll not be insured but the insurance company their with have accepted them as a risk so will still be obliged to pay any 3rd party claims. They can and most probably will use the expired mot as a get out clause to avoid paying anything towards their own repairs

But if they still have a current MOT they'll not be insured but the insurance company their with have accepted them as a risk so will still be obliged to pay any 3rd party claims. They can and most probably will use the expired mot as a get out clause to avoid paying anything towards their own repairs

Insurance company can also look to recover the cost of third party claims from policy holder I think?

We’re just outside Funchal (Madeira-technically Portugal) sans motorhome, wouldn’t want to try it on these roads!! Sun is shining and it’s 21 deg C

We’re just outside Funchal (Madeira-technically Portugal) sans motorhome, wouldn’t want to try it on these roads!! Sun is shining and it’s 21 deg C

Not much chance of wild camping there ?
Go carefully if you slide down from Monte on those sledges ... That's if they are still allowed ? The original white knuckle ride !

Go carefully if you slide down from Monte on those sledges ... That's if they are still allowed ? The original white knuckle ride !

Yep, the ride is still here-not for me though! Looking very festive here! They understand gallau but my coffee is a Chinesa-not to be asked for in mainland Portugal I understand, might get the wrong idea 😄!

The couple in this video look like they are thoroughly enjoying it Paul;

YouTube

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back