Spain/Portugal where are you?

On the free aire at the old mining town of Lousal. Fascinating living science museum. Off to Setubal/Palmela tomorrow.

When I last looked a few days ago, the discount of 30% was stated as Up to 30%, therefore not fixed!

On closer inspection, it seems a 30% discount is on all Spanish crossings excluding promotional.
see below
Joining fee of £100, plus £120 per yr

Spain Membership | Club Voyage - Travel Club - Brittany Ferries

Thanks works out at £220 first year then £120second year. still saving £180 on first trip plus breakfast vouchers think I read that full 30% doesn't apply to the cabin price needs more work.

On the free aire at the old mining town of Lousal. Fascinating living science museum. Off to Setubal/Palmela tomorrow.

Parked up at the Aire in Monsaraz, amazing views! Let me know what Setubal is like. There's a new campsite there, €6 a night apparently. Are you going to Lisbon and Sintra?

Hi *****, got told of the water and there's a tap in the cemetery too. Found a cafe with amazing views, €3 20 for a coffee and huge glass of vino. Can't imagine what it would cost elsewhere! Re washing the van, I really need to. Got the tail end of a sand storm last week and the van is a disgrace! Came here from Luz. What a fabulous overnight stop, in between the cemetery and the church, by the Museum. Is there really somewhere to wash the van? ��

Last edited:
don't you find that water from the cemetery tastes a little... i don't know... boney ?

Parked up at the Aire in Monsaraz, amazing views! Let me know what Setubal is like. There's a new campsite there, €6 a night apparently. Are you going to Lisbon and Sintra?

Been to Setubal before, amazing garlic prawns on seafront. Really going to meet up with someone then heading to Foz d'arelho then north to see my daughter. Sintra is amazing don't try and drive through it. There is a very good aire at Odrinhas, 135 in book, small comfortable coffee bar on site and the bus goes to sintra id e volta €4 last year and the aire€6 incl electric again last year's price. Lisbon is also amazing but haven't been in motorhome

Motorhome parking in Lisbon is on the North bank, at the ferry terminal by Belem,The Jeronimos Church and the Navigadores monument.

Park only in the designated area. If you park on the next block, on the west, you'll get fined.
Watch out for unofficial touts, they'll lead you to the western block,scarper with whatever tip you give them, and you'll be in trouble.
No facilities, but ideal for sightseeing and great transport links.
The bar lets you use the toilets,if you buy the odd drink and there's loos in the terminal,during opening times.

We were very strongly advised by Portuguese M/H ers, not to use the aire, they said it was a break in waiting to happen. We heard this from not just one, but from three different people at different times.
Better to use the ACSI and bus in!
Then you can walk around care free!

Yes, Graham. Things may have changed since we were there 3 years ago.
We drove in, a tout was indicating that he would find us a parking place and was leading us onto the western block.
A Portuguese M homer came across and told us, in English,that this guy was a tout.. We replied in our dodgy Portuguese and he chased the tout off.
He led us back onto the proper site and told us his son was.leaving soon and we could have his pitch.
I suggested that they should join me for a beer at the bar.

2 hours later, they'd marked my card about where to go,what to see. They explained that they don't mind if the touts lead Spanish, French and German vans into trouble, but not the British .
They then insisted on settling the bill and said the son would be off in a couple of hours.
While I was waiting, I got under the van to check the grey water pipe,that had become loose.
Suddenly i found Father and son beside me. Eventually the son brought his drill and pop rivetter and did a proper job on it.

Two more beers, and I had to really insist on paying.
The son eventually wobbled off, I think he may have been a cop and breathalyser immune.
We had 4 wonderful,hectic nights there.
It always amazes us how nice people can be.

Now in Foz do Arelho, sitting on the aire right next to the beach of sea/river. Huge waves coming in yesterday, much calmer today. Surprised to find some of the cafes open.

N230 at Teixeira

Drove through yesterday and one side of the road is gone. Barriers in place and shoring but give it a miss if possible.

I've landed at an Aire at Vila Nova da Barquinha. Nothing here but a lovely free stop on the way to Tomar. Been here two nights as it's so peaceful.

thought Tomar was fantastic loved the way you went from a castle to a temple monastery and barracks, the helix staircase where in spite of appearing like an open spiral you can't see anyone on the other set of steps and the gardens were superb we stayed overnight on the aire just below the entrance had planned couple of hours and lost a day there,

Enjoy your visit,Carol, we have the first rain, for 3 weeks, very welcome,washing away the left overs from the dust cloud.
Very unwelcome,
Jenny just washed the winter bedding and hung it out to dry.
Her sainted sister arrives tonight for a 3 week visit.
Mustn't grumble.

thought Tomar was fantastic loved the way you went from a castle to a temple monastery and barracks, the helix staircase where in spite of appearing like an open spiral you can't see anyone on the other set of steps and the gardens were superb we stayed overnight on the aire just below the entrance had planned couple of hours and lost a day there,

Hi Ken, didn't see any mention of an Aire in Tomar in the Aires book? Do you have coords and is it free or paid? Apparently there's a big car park near the bus station but don't know if it's overnightable. I'm going for sentimental reasons ..... many years since I was there, wilding somewhere in my little vw van. Not even a fridge in sight. 😊

your in luck carol jan logged the coords n39.6048 w8.4175 in her journal from 5 years ago because we were meeting friends there , they didn't arrive till late afternoon so we went round the garden when they arrived and the castle the next day, you will think you've finished the tour and then all of a sudden the temple opens out near the shop, the MH parking is on a tier below the castle but easy enough climb, the convent alongside was undergoing renovation work when we went there,

Hi Ken, didn't see any mention of an Aire in Tomar in the Aires book? Do you have coords and is it free or paid? Apparently there's a big car park near the bus station but don't know if it's overnightable. I'm going for sentimental reasons ..... many years since I was there, wilding somewhere in my little vw van. Not even a fridge in sight. ��

If in doubt check our POIs!

You'll find three in Tomar. CU Tomar 1 is the one you want I think ...

I am travelling north again!

Tonight I'm at Odeceixe having had a lovely day travelling along the Algarve coast from Sagres.

The POIs are in wonderful locations and if you want a lovely circuitous drive do what I did and hopscotch from one to the next.

But whatever you do don't fail to drive the coast road round the headland at Carrapateira. The scenery is jaw-dropping!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back