Spain/Portugal where are you?

Ameixial lovely village, good cafe and beautiful scenery. Life is slow and the villagers are welcoming and friendly.

We are in Tarifa and it is windy! Not stopped blowing for 2 days. We are having to stop in side alleys to stop being rocked about. On the plus side we have managed to guess the wifi password of the business we are parked outside 😀 OK my wife got it.
Only:sad: had one day in 7 without strong gales! ( The Levante,) Its the reason for it being the wind surfing capitol of Spain! 😦

Only:sad: had one day in 7 without strong gales! ( The Levante,) Its the reason for it being the wind surfing capitol of Spain! ��

The Levant is the easterly wind, the Poniente being the westerly. Of the 2 the Levant blows strongest, it's the wind that forms the cloud over Gib. which can spread west as far as Tarifa at times, hides the sun for days. Good enough reason to avoid the Tarifa region wintertime if intending chancing more than a few days stay IMO unless your a keen wind/kite surfer.

Last edited:
I'm on a lovely little municipal campsite in Serpa. Basic but clean. €5 a night. Lidl and intermarche round the corner and a walled town to explore. Stayed in the observatory car park at Monchique last night. 930 metres but sadly no view this morning.

We at a site just south of Porto....€7.10 with 10amp ehu....friends flying over Friday for long weekend. So we happy !! Maja

I'm on a lovely little municipal campsite in Serpa. Basic but clean. €5 a night. Lidl and intermarche round the corner and a walled town to explore. Stayed in the observatory car park at Monchique last night. 930 metres but sadly no view this morning.

Now you're really seeing Portugal.
Which way are you going?
have a google at Villa Vicosa.. Full aire at the bombieros, fire station and exquisite royal palace.
Elvas... Google.. Camp under the magnificent 12th century viaduct.. Aire at Intermarche, nearby.
Visit old town..a good walk.
Hope the weather stays OK and all your electrics are happy.

Great places

Which way are you going?
have a google at Villa Vicosa.. Full aire at the bombieros, fire station and exquisite royal palace.
Elvas... Google.. Camp under the magnificent 12th century viaduct.. Aire at Intermarche, nearby.

Visited both ... definitely worth a visit. For Vila Vicosa, we over nighted 2 nights on the Barragem S of the town ... really peaceful. At Elvas, loads of room but some muppet parked right next to us - wafer apart ... and they were British, or "not-British".

Which way are you going?

Hi Paul, yes we are and it's amazing. Met a guy on this site last night. Been travelling in his very shiny van for 10 years! He mentioned all those places too. Hopefully we'll all agree to go. Electrics fine, touch wood, but no hot water 😕. I'll try on hook up which will eliminate some causes I suppose. Hope you're both well x

Feeling much better, thanks Carol.
It's Mid Feb, The swallows have arrived and we are getting itchy feet ,reading this thread.. Keep us posted.

It looks like we will have to hurry back to Blighty ,when our last guests leave , in Mid April.

No detours, No adventures..... Got a busy May and June ,trying to shake off the medics.

Safe travels , happy days .

Roquemas del Mar

Think I have spelt it right, have just watched the Rugby in a tapas bar with some characters met in car park.

Slowly meandering along the coast, back up to France, found some interesting locations and others that are not quite so, weather OK, albeit overcast.

moving north we have just left la mata and gone just above la marina to playa le Pinet the aire was originally in a car park on the rd behind the village but now it's on the old campsite just of the beach , there is a bar restaurant on the beach and an area about the size of 3football pitches for parking , although no facilities on site about 2kms away towards la marina there is a repsol garage with autocaravan parking that allows dump & refill we etc for €2 ,

moving north we have just left la mata and gone just above la marina to playa le Pinet the aire was originally in a car park on the rd behind the village but now it's on the old campsite just of the beach , there is a bar restaurant on the beach and an area about the size of 3football pitches for parking , although no facilities on site about 2kms away towards la marina there is a repsol garage with autocaravan parking that allows dump & refill we etc for €2 ,

Have they still stopped the parking on the beach at la Mata?

We have reached Portugal now and the sun has shined all day.
Staying at the little Aire in Vilar Fomoso right on the border.
€5 per night and €3 for hook up - somebody said 4 amp but all our stuff working anyway.
Pay at the shop across the road, shop is worth a look round.
Sells everything from matches to washing machines and a café bar inside as well.
300 yds to Intermarche which has an outdoor laundry, will try that tomorrow.
Heading south from here into Castello Branco region to look at a house.
Loving the Vinho Verde.
We are here to stay.
Don & Linda

We love that cranky shop. We have to stay at least 2 nights,just so Jenny can look at EVERY thing.

Exciting times for you. Enjoy them.

Hi all you guys in Spain lookin for a wee bit of advice was on Brittany ferries website pricing up a trip I'm planning for the summer Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander quite pricey but was wondering if anyone uses the membership thingy £70 to join club voyager and another £120 a year £190 in total for year to get 30%
Off I won't use it probably a one off for me this year anyway. Was quoted £1300 return with cabins both ways for 3 people and a 9 meter van. I don't have time to drive through France I've planed my trip to 16 days any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated

hi wullie the voyager discount is 30% so on a £1300 crossing your gonna save nearly £400 , i thought it was £120 for the first year of spain £70 first year france don't need to do both and then £100 a year thereafter , not checked for a while so don't quote me see you at rutland you've just saved your diesel money no sponsorship read now!

I love that cranky shop also, been there a few times, can't find the intermarche yet though. We're currently sitting on am empty free aire,free water no electric Aire in Asco.Spain comimg inland to avoid Barcelona. A bit cooler here but we have plenty of gas. A lot quieter than the coastal ones.

Voyager club is 70£ per yr for France + a joining fee but more fo Spanish one all easy to see on their web site

We at a site just south of Porto....€7.10 with 10amp ehu....friends flying over Friday for long weekend. So we happy !! Maja

Can you enlighten us to where? And is there public transport to Porto? Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back