Southern Ireland

Dee

Soon we are going to Southern Ireland in our motor home doing the Wild Atlantic Way and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of places to stay or places to visit

The Mighty Lough Derg on the Shannon was one of my favourite places when we used to go on boating / fishing holidays in the 80s. We also had a camper with us and frequently parked up at Garrykennedy for several days at a time. Its a long time ago but I loved that place. Not least of all for the pub there. Larkins or the Barge Inn it was called then I think. Centre of the Universe for music it seemed at the time. It was there I ended up playing in a session band one night with Roger Waters (Pink Floyd).

Every one seems to go to that Atlantic way, much more up around Donegal to see and go, if you must then advice is go anticlockwise as the coach busses do or you will be stuffed. ireland a.pngireland j.pngat the bay.pngdunree a.pngdunree c.pnggc k.jpgdonegal campsite d.pngDonegal town.pngstrove l house a.pngcarinan donegal.png

Here's what we did in 2018.

Highly recommended. Go and enjoy.

Thinking of a trip to Donegal myself this year. Priced the ferry and they are seriously taking the micky but on balance diesel costs to drive the 400 miles down south and back just to get to France are making it more a realistic choice.

Wully, we did this anti-clockwise within two week. We could have got further but Trev and his bairns were stocking us for biscuits. If you do go, do the giants causeway early evening after the hordes have left, but all you see are the top of the basaltic pillars at surface levels, Fingals Cave of Mull is the place to go to really appreciate Basaltic pillar geology. I'll see if we still have maps with points we stopped at and give them to you.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    642.4 KB · Views: 86
Wully, we did this anti-clockwise within two week. We could have got further but Trev and his bairns were stocking us for biscuits. If you do go, do the giants causeway early evening after the hordes have left, but all you see are the top of the basaltic pillars at surface levels, Fingals Cave of Mull is the place to go to really appreciate Basaltic pillar geology. I'll see if we still have maps with points we stopped at and give them to you.
Good to see you back as i thought you had bugged out, please send more biscuits LOL.

Great to see you posting Terry!

The Mighty Lough Derg on the Shannon was one of my favourite places when we used to go on boating / fishing holidays in the 80s. We also had a camper with us and frequently parked up at Garrykennedy for several days at a time. Its a long time ago but I loved that place. Not least of all for the pub there. Larkins or the Barge Inn it was called then I think. Centre of the Universe for music it seemed at the time. It was there I ended up playing in a session band one night with Roger Waters (Pink Floyd).
Thank you Barry, will add to list

Every one seems to go to that Atlantic way, much more up around Donegal to see and go, if you must then advice is go anticlockwise as the coach busses do or you will be stuffed.View attachment 108999View attachment 109000View attachment 109001View attachment 109002View attachment 109003View attachment 109004View attachment 109006View attachment 109007View attachment 109008View attachment 109009
We are going anti clock wise which sounds good news and planning to stop at Donegal. Thanks for the pics

Here's what we did in 2018.

Highly recommended. Go and enjoy.
Modern houses are spoiling it every where unfortunately

Thinking of a trip to Donegal myself this year. Priced the ferry and they are seriously taking the micky but on balance diesel costs to drive the 400 miles down south and back just to get to France are making it more a realistic choice.
We were shocked at the ferry cost but booked to go while still able to. Price of diesel is scary but this will be our only huge trip this year

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back