Southern Ireland

Wully, we did this anti-clockwise within two week. We could have got further but Trev and his bairns were stocking us for biscuits. If you do go, do the giants causeway early evening after the hordes have left, but all you see are the top of the basaltic pillars at surface levels, Fingals Cave of Mull is the place to go to really appreciate Basaltic pillar geology. I'll see if we still have maps with points we stopped at and give them to you.
Did more or less the same trip about fifteen years ago Terry and really enjoyed it.

Always wanted to go to Athlone simply because it appeared on long wave radio when I was a kid. Did a trip over to Rathlin from Ballycastle as well. Most folk we met lived up to the perception of the Irish as great storytellers. A bit of light reading I’d suggest is Round Ireland With A Fridge by Tony Hawkes.

Getting itchy feet now…

Cheers

H

planning to make the trip myself this year in september hopefully with my brand new irish passport if it’s through , depending how the border crossings go will aim to visit the south and pick up a passport for the pup & visit family in Malahide , just had a check over ten years since we last went over where did that go !

Reactions: Dee
Every one seems to go to that Atlantic way, much more up around Donegal to see and go, if you must then advice is go anticlockwise as the coach busses do or you will be stuffed.View attachment 108999View attachment 109000View attachment 109001View attachment 109002View attachment 109003View attachment 109004View attachment 109006View attachment 109007View attachment 109008View attachment 109009
If you do Donegal (predictive text put in Senegal!!) go to the Famine Village and if you go to the north of Ireland then bear in mind that there is a free public footpath to the Giant's Causeway. You don't have to pay the excessive NT charge for the visitor centre.

Thinking of a trip to Donegal myself this year. Priced the ferry and they are seriously taking the micky but on balance diesel costs to drive the 400 miles down south and back just to get to France are making it more a realistic
We found Irish ferries the cheapest going from Pembroke

Soon we are going to Southern Ireland in our motor home doing the Wild Atlantic Way and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of places to stay or places to visit
I have found both of these useful. The book I got second hand but still worth it at full price I’d say and the pocket map was only £3 and gives you all the places of interest along the way. Not as good as first hand knowledge but good to have to hand.

Attachments

• F3A607E3-353B-4A1E-A16D-4D7D32F1546E.jpeg
    F3A607E3-353B-4A1E-A16D-4D7D32F1546E.jpeg
    754.2 KB · Views: 52
If you do Donegal (predictive text put in Senegal!!) go to the Famine Village and if you go to the north of Ireland then bear in mind that there is a free public footpath to the Giant's Causeway. You don't have to pay the excessive NT charge for the visitor centre.
We intend to spend some time in Donegal.
I did the Giants Causeway several years ago when I went with a friend to Northern Ireland.
On countdown now till we go

Over the last few weeks, I have seen lots of English and Scottish vans on our roads up norf, keep coming folks we need the money. 😂

Over the last few weeks, I have seen lots of English and Scottish vans on our roads up norf, keep coming folks we need the money. 😂
Thank you. We did ask friends who we are visiting was his area anti motor homes he said no.
Some people and places are in England.

rosslare is a mighty long way from donegall. think of what you save on the fare & the extra cost of fuel which has gone up again here.

tony
Fair point we are going south so suited us . I didn’t realise that was their only route. It will be my first time to Southern Ireland so bit of a bucket list thing for me and after cancelling many planned trips over the last couple of years.

The Beaches in Northern Ireland I think are lovely.
I am intending to go back in the next few years and maybe pop over to Rathlin Island and stay in the Manor House for a couple of nights - http://www.manorhouserathlin.com/. I actually used to live there for a short bit in the1980's before it was sold to the National Trust and renovated. Be interested to see what it is like now with running water and electricity :)

In the South the Ring of Kerry is a very nice area to visit and been there a few times. Also enjoyed Galway and Co. Mayo and the Atlantic Way and would certainly visit those areas again. Westport is a lovely town to visit and just has a great vibe to it I think.
The Cork area is quite nice and a visit to Cobh and to Blarney Castle is interesting (don't try kissing the stone unless you have a good head for heights! I don't think I would try that again :sick: ).
I thought Co. Donegal was ok. Some wild countryside there and nice enough but I think I would spend my time elsewhere in Ireland as there are nicer places to go than Donegal IMO (and possibly the worst B&B I have ever used was on Donegal Town, and that memory puts me off returning I suppose)
I've only been to the East coast and Dublin once and not spent any time there but I didn't get the 'vibe' there myself that people go on about :( So would not really plan to return there (I'm not the right person to be going to the Orish pubs for the craic and Pub Crawls & Stag Nights, I think, although enjoyed some evenings in the pubs in the West)
The Irish Midlands I thought are a good place to pass through to get somewhere else :) Co. Roscommon is very forgettable.

I used to be a fairly regular visitor to the Republic of Ireland for both work and pleasure but not been over for nearly 15 years (the last two times being for a funeral of a mother, and then a year later for the funeral of her son :cry: )

FWIW, I follow "The Slaw's Adventures" YouTube channel as they do lots of pub stops and review the pubs at which they stop. They've just started their trip of the Wild Atlantic Way, so you might get some insight from that...
Here's yesterday's instalment

and a link to their channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSlaw’sAdventures

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back