Solar panels, controller, leisure batts, inverter, B2B etc. from a clean sheet

SimonM

What is the best way forward, starting from a clean sheet and no existing solar of any sort on a brand new MH.

It is very likely my next purchase has nothing fitted other than a leisure battery (unknown size, make and AH) that I would not hesitate in removing and making way for something else. I’m going to view it tomorrow with tape measure in hand.

I am going to assume the footprint in the battery compartment allows for 2x110ah, but for now the height is unknown - I would hope it is large enough to fit a 345x190x245 Fogstar 300ah lithium which will easily go where 2 x 110ah batts go, it’s just the height I need to worry about.

of course right now I don’t know what will fit on the roof until I can clamber on top and take some measurements.

I have had some Victron products in the past, would it be sensible to go the route of Victron everything? If I do and the roof can handle it, what would be comfortable to keep the above Lithium charged?

then, do I get the dealer to fit ‘what I want’ and not what he wants, and at a sensible price if I can’t get it as part of the deal. Or have it all fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing? I’m in Exeter, Devon so a trip to Scotshire would be a bit of a silly :rolleyes:

suggestions, recommendations, hints, tips or general p-taking welcomed.

Sounds like you are on the right lines Simon. If it were me I would go single 300ah lithium with 200-300w solar and the appropriate solar controller and of course the right ehu charger as I think they need to be a higher float charge than standard. There are more clued up poeple than me on the latest kit though on here. See what they say.

I don’t use a site and EHU if I can help it, there are the odd exceptions, I found a free EHU on a free stopover in Norway last month. But too rare to bother contemplating. My existing setup is 220w Solar, a B2B, 4x90ah lead acid batts and a 2000w inverter. It all works but it would be nice to start afresh.

Im a tad worried about lith batts with all the talk about fires etc, though they are light in weight.
Me id go with lead carbons and 100w solar for every 100ah battery, 3oow solar and 3 lead carbons with a votronic regulater would be my choice.
But as you say lith and a big inverter may be down your road, but expensive, all down to cost and depth of pockets.

Last edited:
What is the best way forward, starting from a clean sheet and no existing solar of any sort on a brand new MH.

It is very likely my next purchase has nothing fitted other than a leisure battery (unknown size, make and AH) that I would not hesitate in removing and making way for something else. I’m going to view it tomorrow with tape measure in hand.

I am going to assume the footprint in the battery compartment allows for 2x110ah, but for now the height is unknown - I would hope it is large enough to fit a 345x190x245 Fogstar 300ah lithium which will easily go where 2 x 110ah batts go, it’s just the height I need to worry about.

of course right now I don’t know what will fit on the roof until I can clamber on top and take some measurements.

I have had some Victron products in the past, would it be sensible to go the route of Victron everything? If I do and the roof can handle it, what would be comfortable to keep the above Lithium charged?

then, do I get the dealer to fit ‘what I want’ and not what he wants, and at a sensible price if I can’t get it as part of the deal. Or have it all fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing? I’m in Exeter, Devon so a trip to Scotshire would be a bit of a silly :rolleyes:

suggestions, recommendations, hints, tips or general p-taking welcomed.
You could ask the dealer what HE would fit. It is unlikely to be what you would really want, it is likely to be a bit pricey, but it could meet your needs at a price you are ok with.
If he fits what YOU want and it is not what he is familiar with, I doubt he would give you any meaningful post-install service.

You could use the good old West Country standby of Vanbitz (in Taunton, I think?). They install Victron gear and Lithium (not sure what brand they favour). They are on their own campsite so you could also stay overnight if the install is relatively involved.
PS. This is NOT a recommendation or otherwise. purely a heads-up for an local option.

This could be the answer:

Based near Hereford.

Dealer fit should be avoided!

Im a tad worried about lith batts with all the talk about fires etc, though they are light in weight.
Me id go with lead carbons and 100w solar for every 100ah battery, soow solar and 3 lead carbons with a votronic regulater would be my choice.
But as you say lith and a big inverter may be down your road, but expensive, all down to cost and depth of pockets.
LiFePO4 batteries are very safe, no fire risk.

To be fair, I think I’d prefer to avoid a dealer fit, unless it was favourable. And why should I miss out on a quality fitment by not wanting to travel too far. I’d travel if I could stay in the MH while it’s being worked on.

I know Trev likes his lead/carbon, but a 300ah Fogstar will sit in the space of 2x110ah and give effectively 3 times the useable power (if I’d read the arguments for and against correctly)
Yes agreed, but as i said you pay what you want for and hope its the correct choice for you, lots of these fancy batteries are not available here, i have ask.

This could be the answer:

Based near Hereford.

Dealer fit should be avoided!
Thank you

somehow I’ve missed seeing the original thread, and of course their advert is in the first page when logging on - once again the adverts have proven useful.

Yes just read about them, but expensive, 3 lead carbons £600, one lipo same, swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.
I think it was neckender who posted that you could get eco-worthy 100AH lifep04 for just £215 on Ebay because they were doing a special 20% off promo for Halloween. Think it's elapsed now but even at the full price of £270 it's probably cheaper than building them yourself. I'm a big fan of the lead carbons but even at this sort of cost I'd go lithium personally. If you're wilding for long periods than your batteries are almost certainly going to be spending a lot of hours in a partial state of charge which is a battery killer, carbon isn't affected by this as much as lead acid but it doesn't adversely affect lifepo4 at all, in fact they prefer it.

I went with the 300ah Fogstar to replace the 2x 100ah, Victron IP22 mains charger (by passed the existing cbe unit which didn't have a lithium profile) and 2x 175w NDS high efficiency panels. I asked for a Victron MPPT but they fitted an NDS Sunsolar which also tops up the vehicle battery.The vehicle also has a Redarc BCDC charger.I also added a battery isolator and Smartshunt.Would probably have preferred all Victron as the apps on the other units are not great.

Nice to start with a clean sheet.
As already mentioned, work out your needs and time without EHU.
There are plenty of online calculators to assist and allow you to compare different types of battery, not only different sizes but lead acid V lithium, etc.
Guess lithium is a bit of a game changer, now you can store enough power for induction hobs, and combination ovens, even if for a limited period unless you spend loads on batteries, regardless, they are a possibility now.

May be worth having a chat with Mark1 conversions. Not far from Exeter.

I had some seats fitted by them and was very pleased with their service, from quote through to fitting.

I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to comment on their electrical work, but they certainly seemed a very professional set up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back