soggy floor

oppy

Gosh, it seems ages since I came here, but, as some, or maybe most, of you know, I'm a numpty so at the risk of being slagged by the usual suspects, here I creep.

During these times of forced van work, I've cleaned/primed/re-sprayed the bumper/black bits, de mossed the trim on the panels and squirted stuff into them, installed a new starter battery (and a solar charger too), and because there is damp on the off side rear corner I've put a protective cover and then done the whole of the rear habitation area with a lining felt, so far so good---------------but my friends this is where I need your help.
The floor in front of the kitchen area is a tad bouncy------what do you advise me to do about it, and more importantly---how.
Thanks friends

Peter

Rip out the felt and for the front and rear use epoxy injection into the wood, holes to be semi drilled first, do make sure the floor is dry, use a heater or heat gun, find out where the water is coming from, good luck.

You really need to lift any floor covering to see how far the damage extends, my floor is roughly 20mm ply so could be cut out and a new piece glued in using something like Aerolite glue ( very good glue for building boats).

I asked my mobile service man about such repairs .he said he cuts out the offending area and re bounds.
If it is dry is it worth worrying about .?

You really need to lift any floor covering to see how far the damage extends, my floor is roughly 20mm ply so could be cut out and a new piece glued in using something like Aerolite glue ( very good glue for building boats).
tried looking at this glue ,where do you get it ?

tried looking at this glue ,where do you get it ?
For info if you make a good joint the wood will break first before the glue. It is not as convenient to use like “Gorilla” glue but it is better and keeps for a long time. The hardener is Formic acid and I don’t think has a life date.

cheers ,that's cleared up a question for me . years ago i worked on repairing a catamaran in Tavira ,and i've used this glue - i remember the horrible smell of formaldehyde from my school days !

Well thanks yet again people. The floor is not damp so I assume that it's being got at from underneath, so I suppose that it's unscrew everything that's fastened to the deck, rip up the carpet and gently cut out the offending part of the floor. maybe Trevs suggestion is the answer, anyway we'll see
Ta once again
Peter

I was looking at a motorhome with a bouncey floor on one spot last year and looked into this.... Basically it is fairly common and due to delamination of the floor and the fix is pretty well as Trev posted - drill holes and inject resin.
You can get complete kits for this and there are quite a few videos on Youtube of folk who have do this. I would be inclined to get this done by a someone you knows how to do this and you trust unless you are pretty handy and mobile.
you will need to remove the carpet and likely replace with new - or maybe lay some laminate or lino instead when done.

Have you looked underneath to see if there's any clues. Or in your kitchen unit at the bottom. For more clues

I used the resin injection technique in our old RV, we had springy floor sections in front of the kitchen area and between the shower and bathroom. There was no damp so I assumed the plywood had delaminated.
I lifted the floor tiles, drilled holes, injected the green resin till it overflowed then plugged the holes with dowels. In the morning, the floor was solid everywhere. I replaced the floor tiles and you would never know there had been a problem.
If there is no damp, its much easier and safer than cutting your floor.

I used the resin injection technique in our old RV, we had springy floor sections in front of the kitchen area and between the shower and bathroom. There was no damp so I assumed the plywood had delaminated.
I lifted the floor tiles, drilled holes, injected the green resin till it overflowed then plugged the holes with dowels. In the morning, the floor was solid everywhere. I replaced the floor tiles and you would never know there had been a problem.
If there is no damp, its much easier and safer than cutting your floor.
Sounds very straightforward. The motorhome I looked at had a circular section gone springy and I really liked the van so looked into how serious/expensive it would be to fix. Turned out pretty simple and not cost a lot and didn't worry me.
The dealer was perfectly happy to sort it out as well, but other delays meant didn't go though with the purchase.

Last edited:
Did ours as no sign of damp. I am Not handy but everything went well and problem. Solved 2 years on. Would suggest checking composition of floor and setting drill so as not to go too deep.

If there's no rot, as others have said it's almost certainly due to delamination. I did this last year after watching the same video that Wildebus has linked to, with great success.
I bought the stuff here, they were also very good with advice when I phoned them.

If there's no rot, as others have said it's almost certainly due to delamination. I did this last year after watching the same video that Wildebus has linked to, with great success.
I bought the stuff here, they were also very good with advice when I phoned them.
Thank you (and everyone else too) As well as checking the underneath, I ripped out the carpets and saw that the 3 boards that made up the floor were at different levels and two of them were springy, so yes it's a de-lam. So did the
MAGNUM PRO FLOOR (DELAMINATION KIT)
come with everything shewn in the video? ie injector and dowels?
Ta once again
Peter

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back